Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

in manage 3d settings it will show an extra drop down with the integrated or dedicated gpu as options.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13575[/ATTACH]

Thanks for elaborating .

I added farcry 4 to programs settings .

selected high performance nvidia processor bit it still uses igpu.

I'm switching back to dedicated graphics and will cross that optimus bridge when I have to.

I heard hidevolution got a alienware 17 with 980m and 120hz screen and windows 7 for sell. So hopefully we will be able to do this 980m upgrade after all with out having to mess with optimus .

That's not good.

Maybe it's your computer's way of telling you to put it back into dedicated mode.

strange, it works fine in dedicated mode and i am worried that a 980M won't work in dedicated mode either and spending a lot of dough just to find out is a tough sell. it crashes when there's no driver installed and it has been wiped with DDU as well as with the intel driver installed.

the last thing to do is a full reformat and install of the OS but can't really do that right now....a bit late.

strange, it works fine in dedicated mode and i am worried that a 980M won't work in dedicated mode either and spending a lot of dough just to find out is a tough sell. it crashes when there's no driver installed and it has been wiped with DDU as well as with the intel driver installed.

the last thing to do is a full reformat and install of the OS but can't really do that right now....a bit late.

The crazy part is we spend a lot of time tweaking our systems to run a certain way to get it to do what we want and then all of a sudden throw a rench in the mix like optimus and the computer goes into cardiac arrest.

Mine seams to behave fine I optimus I just can't play games . But I'll read up on optimus and figure it out. I start a game like shadow of mordor ar far cry 4 and it actually starts the game but it runs it at 4 or 5 frames per second. Kinda crazy looking.

The crazy part is we spend a lot of time tweaking our systems to run a certain way to get it to do what we want and then all of a sudden throw a rench in the mix like optimus and the computer goes into cardiac arrest.

ok it seems it's working now so long as precision X isn't running on start up...probably because i am using an older version that's causing the issue but i am typing this while in optimus mode. i probably won't install precision x while i have the 980M at stock until i can confirm it works in dedicated mode for my system. I am gonna reboot back into dedicated then into optimus and see if it is still ok.

Maybe your overclocking software or osd is causing conflicts.

Edit - this post was supposed to be before yours but I guess you beat me to the reply button

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like it still crashes with precision x off. still crashes with RTSS off.

the only thing I can try when i have the time is either older intel drivers and a full reformat. but then if it is crashing without intel drivers installed then it has to be something in the operating system that's causing it.

I know this defeats the purpose of optimus but is there a way to permantly turn on dgpu in optimus so it would work without issues but still have optimus so one could use the 980m.

Possibly there is the same option under "Global Settings" in the NVidia Control Panel where you can select "High Performance NVidia Processor" - there's definitely such an option under "Program Settings" in the same control panel, but click on the "Global Settings" instead to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like it still crashes with precision x off. still crashes with RTSS off.

the only thing I can try when i have the time is either older intel drivers and a full reformat. but then if it is crashing without intel drivers installed then it has to be something in the operating system that's causing it.

Try the following if you like:

1) Uninstall NVidia drivers. Then run DDU to remove any remnants of NVidia drivers.

2) Uninstall Intel Graphics drivers.

3) Install Intel Graphics driver - downloaded from Dell website specific for your model of laptop.

4) Install latest NVidia graphics driver (or recent NVidia driver of your choice) from NVidia website.

5) Retest for Optimus functionality.

The idea of all of the above is that sometimes you need to use the intel graphics driver from the Dell website in order for it to work properly. It was like this with the M17xR3. It was important to install the Dell Intel Graphics Driver first.

strange, sometimes it loads fully and other times it doesn't :(

as in sometimes optimus might not work after rebooting from dedicated but rebooting while in the same state is ok. i probably/definitely won't be constantly switching between optimus and dedicated states - i just need the pc to load every time in optimus mode.

the intel drivers i have installed are the dell ones v10.18.3496

the only down side of optimus is no adaptive vsync :(

so really the freezing this is more of a pain in the butt then a system failure because i really only need it in one mode most of the time - either optimus or dedicated. so long as i can get it to where it will constantly load it should be something i can manage.

EDIT: what i will do is when i order a 980M i'll switch over optimus mode while i await its delivery and so i don't have to do it later.

You might want to try the uninstall & install procedure I listed anyway, unless you've already followed that process I listed.

i have earlier and it wasn't playing ball but it seems to be quite tempermental about making the switch. though it would freeze when only the nvidia drivers were installed.

i am not sure if it's the built-in drivers that are causing it but what's strange is that it would also crash even when i had the intel GPU disabled (via safe mode).

it would keep freezing while loading the desktop in optimus but would be totally fine in dedicated. but once it did load while in optimus mode i can reboot every time and it would be fine.

disabling the iGPU in safe mode was the only way i could get the pc to allow me to switch to dedicated mode.

like i said, it seems tempermental when switching from dedicated to optimus but it's quite ok when going dedicated.

i'm doing all this now to just so i don't get any surprises when i receive a 980M.

EDIT: I forgot to make notes of what i did so will have to do that later.

Yeah, I can understand why you're trying to bottom out the Optimus issues before buying a 980M, no point in buying a 980M if you can't get it to work!

it ain't flawless like it should be but once i was able to get it to load while in optimus it would load fine after hard rebooting. i think the trick is...

1. switch to optimus

2. load safe mode

3. disable the iGPU in device manager and reboot

4. see if it boots fine.

5. if it does re-enable the iGPU via device manager.

6. reboot

7. repeat step 6 until satisfied - so maybe 3.

that's how i am going to test.

the last resort would be a full OS reformat and install.

it ain't flawless like it should be but once i was able to get it to load while in optimus it would load fine after hard rebooting. i think the trick is...

1. switch to optimus

2. load safe mode

3. disable the iGPU in device manager and reboot

4. see if it boots fine.

5. if it does re-enable the iGPU via device manager.

6. reboot

7. repeat step 6 until satisfied - so maybe 3.

that's how i am going to test.

the last resort would be a full OS reformat and install.

these steps worked well i think but it also means having to redo all the configs for hwinfo. :(

safe mode runs fine with the iGPU so it's something in the main environment that's doing it. though i do feel a bit confident a 980M will be a painless to install and get running.

• Thumbs Up 1

Possibly there is the same option under "Global Settings" in the NVidia Control Panel where you can select "High Performance NVidia Processor" - there's definitely such an option under "Program Settings" in the same control panel, but click on the "Global Settings" instead to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Try the following if you like:

1) Uninstall NVidia drivers. Then run DDU to remove any remnants of NVidia drivers.

2) Uninstall Intel Graphics drivers.

3) Install Intel Graphics driver - downloaded from Dell website specific for your model of laptop.

4) Install latest NVidia graphics driver (or recent NVidia driver of your choice) from NVidia website.

5) Retest for Optimus functionality.

The idea of all of the above is that sometimes you need to use the intel graphics driver from the Dell website in order for it to work properly. It was like this with the M17xR3. It was important to install the Dell Intel Graphics Driver first.

Thanks for help robbo. I tried under global settings and Set nvidia processor for prefered grapghics processor and no dice. Also set program settings for nvidia gpu for specific game and no dice either.

It loads my games with no errors it's just everything is is like 4 frame per second so it has to be using integrated grapghics.

Is nvidia control panel always running or do I have to make it boot up with my computer

Thanks for help robbo. I tried under global settings and Set nvidia processor for prefered grapghics processor and no dice. Also set program settings for nvidia gpu for specific game and no dice either.

It loads my games with no errors it's just everything is is like 4 frame per second so it has to be using integrated grapghics.

Is nvidia control panel always running or do I have to make it boot up with my computer

You could load up something like GPUz and run a game. Then afterwards view the Sensors Tab to see what the GPU frequencies & GPU usage was. If you're not getting any GPU usage on your NVidia card as seen in GPUz, then you know it's your integrated graphics being used instead (think you can select and view Intel GPU usage in GPUz too - on first main tab). That's just one way of double checking your understanding of what's going on, and which graphics processor is running the game.

You could load up something like GPUz and run a game. Then afterwards view the Sensors Tab to see what the GPU frequencies & GPU usage was. If you're not getting any GPU usage on your NVidia card as seen in GPUz, then you know it's your integrated graphics being used instead (think you can select and view Intel GPU usage in GPUz too - on first main tab). That's just one way of double checking your understanding of what's going on, and which graphics processor is running the game.

Ok I loaded up gpuz and started game and then quit it's still shows 0 for gpu load memory controller load and video engine load. Memory usage 0 . So I'm guessing it's not even starting the nvidia gpu.

Yep, that does seem the case then. I don't know what else to suggest bar all the reinstallation procedure I listed earlier (you know: DDU to uninstall, Dell Intel GPU driver, etc).

(If after trying different things you could just do a complete reinstall of the OS or restore a working image from before, and think about resetting BIOS to default settings).

Yep, that does seem the case then. I don't know what else to suggest bar all the reinstallation procedure I listed earlier (you know: DDU to uninstall, Dell Intel GPU driver, etc).

(If after trying different things you could just do a complete reinstall of the OS or restore a working image from before, and think about resetting BIOS to default settings).

Yea I will play around to see what I can find out. The reason I switched off optimus the first day I got my computer was because of this same thing. First game I installed on day one wouldn't use my dgpu so I switched to dedicated mode an never had a problem since. So I'm guessing if I restore my computer to the day it was brand new I will still be in the same boat. I will do some reading around and googling to see what I can come up with. Thanks again robbo for your help