2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX780Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (Sonnet III-D) +OSX10.10 [Mark]

Mark

Actually, I also followed the Mark's guide on my MacBook Pro Yosemite (Version 10.10), but it does not working at all. I really need your help, because I already bought the ASUS GTX970, the Sonnet and other stuff. All I want is to make them work together! Thanks a lot

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to get a 780 Ti working in a Sonnet Express III-R on a new mac pro 6,1

I have tried over and over and am close, with no cigar.

Seems that NVDAStartup loads but the Kext signature will not validate :(

I'm using WebDriver-343.01.01f03 and cudadriver-6.5.18, I get NVIDIA Chip Model in the Graphics/Displays System Information but not so much as a mention of the 780 Ti

I've followed the instructions to the letter and ran sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" and kext wizard until I'm blue in the face.

Could any of the successful shed any light for me? The screenshot says its loaded but then not loadable. Way over my head...

Cheers

Diz

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13124[/ATTACH]

I have the same problem as his. Really need help....

- - - Updated - - -

Use:

or NVidia Webdriver wont load.

I tried to use it, but it didn't work? When should I do the step? After edited .kexts ?

Thanks gothic860. I miswrote that bit, I was doing it correctly. In the end I tried on top of a clean install and tada! Something must have been getting in the way in my old system. The first post-clean install showed 'Nvidea ASHLEY" as my card (progress of some sort!) after bashing away restarting and entering the terminal command numerous times, it worked! Then after a restart, it didn't! Things have settled down now and I am a happy Octane user. Thanks again and also to Mark and all who have developed this fantastic solution. Wucaiting, keep trying. It works! (Make sure that the nVidea driver is loading in system prefs not the Apple one)

Hey Guys, been reading up here after one of your members posted at MR.

There are a couple of steps in this guide which could be made MUCH SIMPLER and I thought I would lend a hand.

First and foremost, a little understood thing is that the Nvidia Web Drivers are only needed if your card is newer than the Apple OS X drivers support.

Right now that means Maxwell cards in shipping Yosemite. May also mean 780Ti and Titan Black.

But for cards like GTX780 and regular Titan, you don't absolutely have to have them. And if you aren't using anything that requires CUDA, it does you no good to have them.

Now, for the FUN secret, the Nvidia Web Drivers are actually designed for....Hackintoshes !!! So, the System Check for Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1 and 5,1 is really only there to weed out other Macs with built in Nvidia cards.

In fact, if you dig down in the code, it does a check for EFI. If EFI ISN'T present, it skips the system check.

By definition, any card in a TB enclosure doesn't have EFI. Why is this handy? Well, if you put some small older Nvidia card in your enclosure BEFORE the GTX980 you're shooting for you can use the stock OS X drivers.

This is where it gets fun, while your 9500GT or GT120 or 8800GT is in the enclosure, try running the driver installer...and BINGO it will fire right up, no package flattening, fiddle faddling needed. So install the drivers, then re-mod the NVSTartup file and overwrite the one just installed by new drivers, run a "repair permissions" and allow installer to run a reboot.

BTW, has anyone ever seen a boot screen from a TB card?

There are a couple of steps in this guide which could be made MUCH SIMPLER and I thought I would lend a hand.

First and foremost, a little understood thing is that the Nvidia Web Drivers are only needed if your card is newer than the Apple OS X drivers support.

Right now that means Maxwell cards in shipping Yosemite. May also mean 780Ti and Titan Black.

But for cards like GTX780 and regular Titan, you don't absolutely have to have them. And if you aren't using anything that requires CUDA, it does you no good to have them.

Now, for the FUN secret, the Nvidia Web Drivers are actually designed for....Hackintoshes !!! So, the System Check for Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1 and 5,1 is really only there to weed out other Macs with built in Nvidia cards.

In fact, if you dig down in the code, it does a check for EFI. If EFI ISN'T present, it skips the system check.

By definition, any card in a TB enclosure doesn't have EFI. Why is this handy? Well, if you put some small older Nvidia card in your enclosure BEFORE the GTX980 you're shooting for you can use the stock OS X drivers.

This is where it gets fun, while your 9500GT or GT120 or 8800GT is in the enclosure, try running the driver installer...and BINGO it will fire right up, no package flattening, fiddle faddling needed. So install the drivers, then re-mod the NVSTartup file and overwrite the one just installed by new drivers, run a "repair permissions" and allow installer to run a reboot.

That's great info -- thanks MVC! So for a Kepler card (for example), it's just surgery as usual on the standard-issue OS X .kexts? Have you seen stability improve using Apple drivers?

BK

780Ti isn't working without WebDriver, but i have read that even the 750M GT is getting better benchmark results with the WebDriver instead of the native OS X driver.

Yes, point being it is a lot easier to install the Web driver if you get the system up and running with standard OS X driver.

It is literally double click and install rather than the tedious extraction, flattening, etc.

As to which is faster or better I was making no comment either way.

I am just pointing out that for any Kepler (other than 780Ti and Titan Black) you don't need to do all that stuff.

To make the point again, my rMBP 2012 would NOT let me install while just the 650M was running. It wasn't until I had an eGPU (with no EFI) that I was able to install with ease. Then I could slide a 970 and/or 980 in once drivers there.

Thanks for the heads up!

Although I was already aware that any card up to 780 with the GK110-A revision chip are compatible without having to install the additional NVIDIA drivers, I didn't know that you can use it to install the NVIDIA driver without hacking into the kexts!

In other news, I no longer have the 780 Ti. I've swapped it for a GTX 980, which should arrive at the end of the week!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I did the whole process as listed in the first topic (already edited), but the external VGA doesn't display anything... =(

My Hardware Setup:

Macbook Pro 15" (Mid-2014) - i7 - Intel Iris Pro ONLY - 256gb ssd - 16gb ram

Sonnet III-D w/ nVidia GeForce GTX 980 (Reference design, made by PNY)

Asus PB287Q Monitor (4K - 28", tested w/ DisplayPort and HDMI)

My Software Setup:

Half of the SSD is partitioned for Windows 8.1 Pro (everything including Optimus is working flawlessly)

The other half of the ssd for Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (drivers described below)

nVidia Web Driver 346.01.02f01

nVidia CUDA Driver 7.0.36

-- What happens:

If I turn on the laptop with the eGPU plugged into the thunderbolt before the Mac OS goes to the GUI with the mouse pointer being displayed, it reboots. So I do the same process of Windows, I turn the laptop ON hold ALT and plug the thunderbolt, then the Mac OS boots normally.

If I change in nVidia Settings to load the Mac OS Default driver, it just keep rebooting (probably because it is a newer gpu and the factory driver doesn't support it yet).

The System Report shows nVidia GeForce GTX 980 in the Graphics/Displays, also in CUDA and nVidia Driver Manager in System Preferences, but my external display don't show a thing.

"About this Mac" also shows only the Iris Pro as a GPU.

-- My question:

Is any other config needed? Because as I've seen here in the topic, if the GPU name is being displayed correctly, you are usually fine.

Thank you all... :3

icaro,

Sadly I think that you are affected by the TB2 Mac issue that i started another thread about. Feel free to post in there. I basically have found that eGPU use on Mac computers become infinitely more difficult with the TB2 models. The good news is another member here just posted in there with a method that partially enables display output in OS X. The bad news is his fix won't work for you, at least not in current form. You need 10.10 or later and his fix so far requires 10.9.5 which you can't use.

In any case, I think you should concentrate on getting it working in Windows, as that is usually do-able.

I have a TB2 2014 Mini that I can get into Windows with just plugging in the TB cable after the boot chime. Once it shows up in Device Manager, you can install Nvidia drivers.

I run a small company that hopes to solve some of these TB2 and OS X issues, but if the guy in my thread solves it first, better for everyone.

Good luck.

MVC, this is strange, because everything seems to be working in Mac OS X here, except the external display, is like it is not being detected... IDK if is because of the monitor DP 1.2 (4K 60hz), I'm kind of packing my stuff to move to Brazil in a couple of weeks, so I haven't had enough time to test. But for windows everything is perfect... the only point is enable the external displays, because I use Mac OS for Programming, and I kind of love multiple screen setup for programming, but without this mode (output straight from the eGPU) I will need to put a displayport to hdmi to support 2 other monitors and also keep changing the Source in the monitors... =(

I didn't know about this bug about TB2 Macs... it is only with Mac OS X right? Because in windows, everything is fine.

BTW I installed the latest CUDA/nVidia Web Graphics (for the 10.10.3) and everything (but the monitors) is detected, as I said.

Yes, if you look at the thread I mentioned:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8619-tb2-macbooks-allow-monitors-used-nvidia-egpus-osx.html

I personally tested a 2014 rMBP 15" and got that exact same result. No display output unless I used an EFI modified GPU.

The behavior you are experiencing isn't odd, in fact it is expected. I believe that Apple has done this deliberately though it may just be the result of some changed hardware.

Some TB2 Macs are oddly immune, I have been trying to gather info on this in hopes of identifying the exact cause and a find a fix.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX780Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (Sonnet III-D) +OSX10.10 [Mark]