Intel 710/720 series specs leaked?

svl7

There's no information from Intel itself about these drives so far, but it seems that some of the specs were published on the website of a Russian computer retailer.

The drives are (unlike the 320 series) enterprise level SSDs.

The 710 series seems to be 2.5 inch, with SATA connection (only 3Gb/s). According to the source they come with the newer 25nm MLC (multi level cell) chips and are more endurable than the ones of the 320 series (since they're enterprise level) and should endure much more write/erase cycles. In numbers: The 100 GB drive should be able to endure 500TB or writes before the chips say farewell. (The 120 GB 320 series should last for 15TB... )

Sequential R/W should be 270/210 MB/s (sustained), 36k IOPS 4k random reads, 2.4k IOPS random writes.

The 720 series is going to be much faster if the information is correct. It will be a PCI-Express high-performance SSD.

Built with 34nm SLC chips, controlles is unknown, but it seems to have a 512 MB DRAM-cache.

Sustained sequential will be up to 2.200 MB/s and 1.800 MB/s write, which should theoretically be possible with PCI-E and is much faster than SATA 3.

Random 180k IOPS reads, 56k IOPS writes with real-time 256-bit AES encrypting.

The chips should live even longer than those of the 710 series since they're using SLC chips.

Samples of the 710 series should be shipped starting June 27, no dates for the 720 series. An older roadmap indicates Q3 2011.

Source (translated from German by google, since I assume most of you don't speak German very well :))

_____

***UPDATE***

Apparently the 710 Series will be launched before the end of August. They're indeed enterprise level SSDs based on eMLC HET NAND flash and have therefore more write endurance than the usual MLC consumer SSDs.

This comes naturally with a significantly higher cost/GB.

The 100 GB version will be approximately $650, the 200 GB goes for ~ $1250 and the 300 GB will set you back ca. $1900.

The drive comes with a 3-year warranty (or until the wear level reaches a certain limit).

Source

Edited by svl7
update
  • Thumbs Up 2

No word on the price so far, but I expect that it's not gonna be cheap, after all these aren't consumer drives. I don't know whether that's a typo in the leaked specs or not, but according to this russian retailer site the 400GB version of the 720 series has a lifetime of 36 Petabyte... (I can't really believe this)

• Founder

According to the table above, they measure Endurance for the 720 Series using 8K random writes, while for the X25-E they use 4K random writes. Wonder if they do it for marketing reasons (so it shows more PB) or they changed something else that I am not aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I see the new speed improvements are due to going back to SLC memory chips... using 512mb DRAM and utilizing the PCI Express port... which is not new we have had a lot of enthusiast grade SSD drives coming to PCI offering blazing speeds! Either way that's on hell of a drive.

So a laptop is not going to utilize that highest performance form of the 710/720 series drives unless more manufacturers are soldering them to the mainboard like Apple with its Mac Book Air... If the top end is all technology we have known about like PCI express improving transfer rates over Sata and utilizing SLC memory over MLC memory then there's just going to be more of the same... the SLC takes up almost double the amount of space and memory chips MLC takes for the same amount of storage... We have those technologies now and we don't use them mainstream for the same reason they won't be mainstream for a lot longer and that's cost and convenience... The cost of SLC chips are nearly double for the same capacity SSD utilizing MLC and taking up one of our crucial PCI express slots may be okay on corporate machines but for enthusiasts and gamers like us we can't really afford a PCI express port when dealing with dual gpu enthusiasts grade gaming machines.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to say. The prices can fluctuate quite a bit. I remember there was a bit drop in SSD prices at some point but for a while now the lowest I see is about $100/60GB or $200/128GB. The new drives that came out are little more expensive but the prices on the old ones (SF1200) are still the same.

My philosophy is that you get it now if you need it. What am I saying, of course you need it. :D Pretty much any SSD you can get today has a noticably higher performance than mechanical hard drives.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder

One small correction for the update, the 710 series according to the source are eMLC that have close to SLC endurance. I suppose that is the reason why they have almost half the cost/GB

Also I am not sure how accurate is their table but the 710 series seem to have lower 4K IOPS compared to the X25-E...

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, thanks...!! Messed up. It's pretty late here :) I'll correct it.

Edit: Corrected. Hmm, maybe they'll use SLC on the 720 Series...

Edited by svl7

True, but as long as you use it for server it won't really matter... the random read/writes can still reach pretty crazy numbers on SATAII, and sequential isn't that important in most server applications as far as I know. Though I'm not an expert when it comes to this...