Clevo W550SU laptop CPU clock limitted even use ThrottleStop

test01

W550SU laptop has Intel Core i7 [email protected] which can turbo boost to 3.2Ghz.

but I have never seen cpu worcking at 3.2Ghz no matter how I stress computer.CPU clock always limitted to 2.4-2.5Ghz.

Here is the picture indicates this problem.......

post-26834-1449499775437_thumb.jpg

I also dont understand why i cant change C State from C7, it seems locked by Clevo Bios or something....

anyone help me solving this problem?

sorry for my bad english i hope i can make myself understood........

ThrottleStop 7.00 beta 2

ThrottleStop_700b2

What version of ThrottleStop are you using? Your screen shot didn't include that info. The latest version includes some more features for the 4th Gen Haswell CPUs including adjustable CPU core voltage and overclocking multipliers.

A Core i7-4702MQ is a 37 Watt CPU. That is not enough to run it at full speed when fully loaded with Prime95. That is not even enough to run the TS Bench at full load and full speed. Your default multiplier is 22 so your screen shot shows that Turbo Boost is working, it is just being limited, likely due to power consumption. Can you post a screen shot of the ThrottleStop - Turbo Power Limits window? There might be some more info in there. Depending on the bios, 37 Watt CPUs can be limited to less than that.

I wish there was more that you could do but often times the bios is locked up pretty tight these days. Can you run a single thread of the ThrottleStop TS Bench? If you have nothing else running on your computer this is usually a good way to see the maximum multiplier. The CPU should not be power limited when only running a single thread of the TS Bench so it is easier to see the max multiplier. Post a screen shot of your Turbo Ratio Limits too.

Edit - The maximum package C State is usually locked in the bios too. If the C State button in the ThrottleStop C State window is grayed out, the bios has this feature locked. Nothing you can do unless you can find an unlocked bios for your Clevo.

The single threaded RealTemp XS Bench is also an easy way to confirm that Turbo Boost is working correctly.

post-13-14494997755293_thumb.png

Thank you for replying. what I confirmed listed below. Im using ThrottoleStop version 700.

・1 thread TSbenchmark can boost up to 3.2Ghz when only AC unplugged. CPU usage is around 12%.

・1 thread TSbenchmark only can boost up to 2.4-2.5Ghz when AC plugged. CPU usage is around 12%.

・8 thread TSbenchmark only can boost up to 2.4Ghz(Fixed) whether AC plugeed or not. CPU usage is 100%.

Is it unable to run 4core at 3.2Ghz? Its very frustrating I cant maximize my computer potential due to Manufactor limitter. Or should I just give up........

Pictures!

post-26834-14494997756178_thumb.jpg(Only when AC is unplugged and Single thread.)

post-26834-14494997756456_thumb.jpg(Turbo power limits)

...Is it unable to run 4core at 3.2Ghz? Its very frustrating I cant maximize my computer potential due to Manufactor limitter. Or should I just give up...

DUDE, that's normal. The Turbo Boost advertised by Intel is the single Core Turbo. That being said it should reach 3Ghz on 4 cores.

1core/2core/3core/4core Limits: 32/31/30/30

Try to use Intel XTU and raise "Turbo Short Power Max", "Turbo Power Max" and set "Turbo Time Window" to 120s