GTX 680M vs HD8970M

MasterInTheUniverse

Hi, I have decided to open this thread to collect your opinions about these graphic cards.

Both cards seems to have mature drivers, and after many months by their release, I would to listen the considerations of the owners.

GTX 680M is a Kepler GK104 with 719mhz on clock and 3600mhz effective on vram. It is possible to find it on web around 400-420€

HD8970M is substantially an overclocked rebrand of HD7970M with 900Mhz on clock and 5000mhz effective on vram. It is possible to find it around the same price of GTX 680M

According to Notebookcheck review (with driver chronologically different) the AMD video card is faster around 10-12% tha Nvidia video card.

Do you agree?

I would to know your bench and your fps and configuration in game.

For example I have my vga @ def because I must flash the vbios to unlock the power limit to overclock, and with a 3630QM on 3dm11 i get P7250 score.

Thank you to everyone :tennis::tennis::tennis::tennis:

Without overclocking the 8970m is the slightly better card. With overclocking things get complicated since the 8970m memory can only be overclocked by flashing higher clocks in BIOS. An 8970m with just a core overclock will lose to a 680m with a core and memory overclock. If you overclock the 8970m memory as well, it and the 680m will be roughly equal.

• 2 weeks later...

depends on whether or not you are able to source one. From what I've understood from talking to resellers, the 7970m is pretty scarce for clevo now and is basically either new old stock or used pulls... which honestly wouldn't be bad as long as you trust the seller. for what it's worth, I really enjoy my 680m but if I was on my old laptop with the 675m... Would definitely go for the 7970m or 8970m.