[AW 17xR3] After nvidia upgrade 765M and win7 reinstall, no video fan?

Kephra

Posting this in a separate thread.

[uPDATE:]

Used the custom fan control in HWiNFO64 to set temp sources as CPU and GPU, and the fan spun up. So I didn't damage the fan at least.

Is it because the BIOS doesn't know about this card, so it won't use it as a temp source? Is there a way to fix that? Some of the settings in the unlocked bios I've been leaving alone out of me not knowing what they do (and I may not have had the integrated video as disabled as I thought, since it's showing up in the hwinfo reports as 'active'), but with guidance I'm willing to tinker.

[/uPDATE]

Upgraded to an Nvidia 765M, installed a fresh Win7 pro, got through driver issues, and have it working (and the integrated HD audio working too). Seeing a couple of odd problems, but the one that has me scared:

The right-hand fan (when you're looking at the keyboard)/left hand (when you've got it upside down and have the innards showing) fan, that supports the heatsink for the video card, doesn't appear to want to do anything.

GPU-Z shows the GPU fan at 100% while it's motionless.

I had HWiNFO64 v4.36 installed with the persistent driver, but took it out fearing it was doing something with the controllers that was making that single fan stop. No change, so I put it back in (haven't done the driver yet).

post-24037-14494997370379_thumb.gif

post-24037-14494997370889_thumb.jpg

With some time, if the HWiNFO64 report is needed, I've got that saved as well.

post-24037-14494997370144_thumb.gif

post-24037-14494997370573_thumb.png

Again, GPU-Z doesn't report a single bit of truth when it comes to the fan behavior of mobile GPUs. Use HWiNFO for that, at least in case of your M17x R3. Also, I still want that vbios. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, work's been hammering me. I've now got the software side all sorted (dual boot win8.1 and win7 pro on the SSD, with a data drive in split partitions to prevent win7 and 8.1 fighting over security descriptors) for the basics, stable, video and sound working.

By this weekend I should have the hwinfo back on, and be able to implement the right settings from J95.

Hopefully I'll also be able to send svl7 the video bios (I'll hunt down the instructions for other posts); somehow missed that you wanted that earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, had the chance to grab the current video bios (80.06.51.00.32 A01) for the GTX 765M as requested. Sorry it took so long.

Alienware M17xR3, upgraded to 765M, video bios that came on the new card from ebay:

gtx765M_video-bios_80.06.51.00.32_A1.zip

Anything else you'd like, or need?

To date, I've had only one weirdness in functionality, which I'm trying to resolve with drivers and poking. When running skype (desktop, not 8.1 metro), the incoming video was very odd. It basically split into three horizontal sections, where I could see useful video with gaps. Resizing the window resized the 'bars' of video, showing more or less of the image I was receiving, but I never got a stable single-image out of it. Just mentioning this in the event someone has a similar problem and is turning to google in desperation.

I noticed a 80.06.61.00.01 "OC edition" v00 for the AW17, for a 765M. Is that safe to flash to my card, in your opinion, or should I leave well enough alone?

Edit:

Also reinstalled GPU-Z, and am once again wondering if I should be concerned that the only 'computing' box at the bottom that's checked is DirectCompute 5.0. OpenCL, CUDA, and PhysX are unchecked, and I know they should be (or thought they should be) available on the 765M. Certainly I can't find any documentation to the contrary.

post-24037-14494997503734_thumb.gif