Installing a new ssd into my R2 tomorrow... erm, what do I need to do again?

Ashtefere

Could I get the latest information about all the tweaks we are doing?

In regards to:

• Modded Bios
  • Latest Catalyst Drivers
  • Win7 Sp1 64-bit Aero performance increase patch
  • SSD drive speed increase tweaks
  • Throttlestop tweaks to get the best performance
  • Anything else?

Been a lot of changes since I last did this and I cant find any topics that sort of put it all in one place.

Doing a clean install with an sp1 integrated image, sandforce 120gb drive as primary, and dual 120gb indlinx drives in raid0 as my 'my documents' drive.

-Ash

• Founder
Could I get the latest information about all the tweaks we are doing?

In regards to:

• Modded Bios
  • Latest Catalyst Drivers
  • Win7 Sp1 64-bit Aero performance increase patch
  • SSD drive speed increase tweaks
  • Throttlestop tweaks to get the best performance
  • Anything else?

Been a lot of changes since I last did this and I cant find any topics that sort of put it all in one place.

Doing a clean install with an sp1 integrated image, sandforce 120gb drive as primary, and dual 120gb indlinx drives in raid0 as my 'my documents' drive.

-Ash

Hmm okay I'll try to answer it but I'll probably edit this post later on to fill in some gaps:

• TheWiz hasn't released the modded bios publicly yet but it should unlock OC options for non-extreme CPUs and fan control trip points among other things. He plans to eventually incorproate new GPU hardware ids so we can use aftermarket video cards (e.g. 6970M).
  • Latest Catalyst drivers are the 11.2 release. You can grab them off AMD's website.
  • I haven't run that particular Win 7 patch yet.
  • SSD tweaks: See the Tech|Inferno front page featured article. ;)
  • TS tweaks are the same as before: Set your TDP/TDC + multipliers how you like and watch your temperatures.
  • Not much else. You haven't missed much.

On the SSD front, I'm sure Stamatis will be able to help you with tweaks since that's his area of expertise. I've since switched back to a hybrid Seagate Momentus XT drive because I needed the extra HDD space.

• Founder

Hey Ash, you may want to take a look at Michael's thread as well

http://forum.techinferno.com/storage/30-installing-ssd-tips-tricks-benchmarks.html#post53

Plus in the next few days I plan to add a couple of extra things and write another featured article about the SSD performance issue and how to improve the situation for those who don't posses extreme CPUs.

You can go to device manager, properties, and the performance tab and for windows 7 check the boxes for write caching and turning off write back caching. You will get wei to show 7+ for disk drives instead of 5.9. But don't lose power, have an improper shutdown or even bsod with these enabled as this will cause data loss. If overclocking and unsure of stability don't use these options yet. I had it happen, windows became un bootable saying sxs.dll was corrupt my fix was booting from windows dvd getting to command prompt and deleting the damaged file and replacing it with a copy from another windows installation with use of a usb stick. The file was in the windows folder and the sxs folder. I may be the only one to make this mistake, who knows lol.

Edited by mw86

• Founder

That happened to my benchmarking partition only once while I was running a benchmark but I didn't have an SSD there and I had many services disabled as well. On my working partition which is on my SSD I have the cache turned off and even though I had many crashes (tried various combinations of overclocking) I always booted just fine. I guess it is a matter of luck if something like that happens and what kind of files were being processed at that time. In case the files corrupted are system files they can be easily restored, but it they are personal documents or files then the chances are slim...

Personally I want the maximum performance.

TheWiz hasn't released the modded bios publicly yet but it should unlock OC options for non-extreme CPUs and fan control trip points among other things. He plans to eventually incorproate new GPU hardware ids so we can use aftermarket video cards (e.g. 6970M).

So I must admit I have been away from the various m17x forums for a few months. My system has been working fantastically well and I have been rather swamped with work, so my head has been in the sand.

What is this statement describing? Has someone hacked the last Dell BIOS image to unlock OC options and add HW IDs for non-Dell video cards? Does this mean I might be able to use one of those 5970 cards currently sold "for Clevo machines"?

Still using a solitary 4970 card in my R2. It works great for my current needs, but I plan on keeping this machine for another two or maybe even three years, so eventually I will want some more horsepower in the GPU department.

• Founder
So I must admit I have been away from the various m17x forums for a few months. My system has been working fantastically well and I have been rather swamped with work, so my head has been in the sand.

What is this statement describing? Has someone hacked the last Dell BIOS image to unlock OC options and add HW IDs for non-Dell video cards? Does this mean I might be able to use one of those 5970 cards currently sold "for Clevo machines"?

Still using a solitary 4970 card in my R2. It works great for my current needs, but I plan on keeping this machine for another two or maybe even three years, so eventually I will want some more horsepower in the GPU department.

Yes someone has hacked the Dell bios which has unlocked several hidden options. In addition, we may get future GPU support like the AMD 6970m (there is no such thing as the 5970m for notebooks). I'll post up the link + photos on the main page (Tech|Inferno) once he releases it and make a thread about it on the forum here.

Okay I feel like dummy. To make a long story short I can't boot into windows anymore. I did an inplace upgrade to fix a couple inconsistencies that were preventing the installation of windows 7 service pack1. That went fine until starting to reinstall drivers windows automatically tried catching up on updates and I was also in process of setting up latest catalyst drivers. Between windows update or the free fall sensor driver for the hard drive, something messed up. I could system rrestore it was enabled at the time and I have no full backups currently I was waiting to purchase a drive for a full backup. So I tried disabling the problematic st electronics free fall sensor and I'm getting no where. The sensor enabled itself on both my ssd drives in raid and must be kicking in at boot. There's a commmand for command prompt but you need to be already in windows. So I decided this is my best time to update the firmware on both my Samsung PM800 (256gb). The files is listed as one of our drivers on dells website. Should I do that or will I just end up bricking my drives? Does anyone know if this firmware update will enable trim. If not am I better using a different firmware? I rememeber reading a firmware that will enable trim that wasn't released by dell or samsung. Please I need some advice before I start with a clean install all over again. (BTW I'll be posting those pics for powersupply mod tonight they weren't lost)

• Founder

I was the one that made the PM800 thread last year but since then Dell started shipping all new Samsung's with TRIM enabled. How old are your Samsung drives? You should be able to tell if they have TRIM or not by looking at the serial number on them and then googling that serial number for confirmation. It's been a while since I used one though. I don't see why updating the firmware would brick your drive, at most if it's not compatible it'll just reject the update. As for the other problem you're having, try booting into safe mode without Raid and disabling the free fall sensor in Windows. It shouldn't start once you do that on reboot.

As always you've been a great help Brian. I'll try booting without Raid enabled didn't try that yet. I glanced at the parts list and invoice. How can determine the serials? I don't want to open case up unless that's only way possible. My system was ordered 6/6/2010 and shipped 6/16/2010. *** Found those serials when Bios posts. They are 001008SY008B7476 and 801012SE012A6125

Edited by mw86
added info to post

• 4 months later...

To report back I did end up flashing the latest firmware to those SSD drives because they didn't have trim and did not have the latest firmware those of you who bought R2's last year with Samsung SSD drives from Dell. @Stevenxowens792 could you post here about your recent experience with dual ssd clean install of Windows.

Edited by mw86