Disable optimus technology with unlocked bios?

gewehrkugel

I was wondering myself the same thing.

You know that Optimus and 3d stereoscopic gaming don't match (it is a hardware problem, but I also blame nvidia for their stupid policy of conditioning the access to their 3d vision technology by the aquisition of their expensive receiver+glasses).

If there is the slightest posibiliy of this by using a modded bios, then you should ask Perma - he knows best.

But I am quite skeptical.

• 3 months later...

The problem with turning off optimus nowadays, (I say that because it used to be possible to shut it off with a bios hack) is that your discrete card -physically- does not have a connection to the display. The way optimus works on modern systems is, the Nvidia card writes directly to the intel GPU's framebuffer, instead of the screen. this allows the discrete GPU to shut off entirely at a moment's notice, without disturbing any software that isn't using it. The downside to this is that if you were to somehow shut off the intel IGP, your laptop's display and any connectors that are wired through it would not function -at all-. Some laptops ship with the intel GPU disabled, such as the ASUS G750 series. On those laptops, the Nvidia GPU is wired directly to the screen. This means you can have your 120hz/3d display, but you cannot turn off the nvidia GPU, and battery life suffers.

Long story short, it would take a miracle to disable optimus on a modern system that is configured with it, because the video output depends on having the intel IGP there to drive it.