7660g overclocking via BIOS mod

The 7660g found in the trinity A10-4600m cannot be overclocked through software (it can be downclocked though). This is unfortunate since the IGP runs at only 686MHz with 1.15V, which is a ridiculously high voltage for such a slow clockspeed. 1.15V should be good for 1000-1200MHz, not a measly 686. While the system is limited more by the CPU and memory clocks, a large ~50% core overclock should yield some nice benefits anyway.

Since software means are out, that means we turn to BIOS mods. I searched the BIOS after decompressing it in Andy's tool and I found the VBIOS module.

Whole BIOS: c8610

VBIOS module: 95EA8D2F-3E04-41B9-8E18-DC724C512E96_1350

But now I can't find the core clocks in the module. I looked for the turbo, which is 686mhz, and the default, which is 497mhz, and found neither. I did find the failsafe/startup clock of 200MHz in 3 locations. Maybe the driver is just supposed to know to set the 7660g to 686mhz? If so I know I can set the GPU to use the startup value of 200MHz (I forgot how, but I know I did it once), and if I can change that 200MHz to an overclocked value, this could work. Quadrupling the startup clockspeed makes me nervous though. I feel like the system might not be able to run 686mhz+ immediately during POST.

I'm wondering what people familiar with modding AMD VBIOS think. Did I miss the 686mhz somewhere? maybe it's really something silly like 685.75mhz and I searched the wrong value? Maybe there's a simple switch that can be ticked in the BIOS to enable software overclocking? What about modding the device ID so the driver sees the higher clocked richland APU instead?

Update:

I tried RBE and it found a bunch of clock info. The turbo clock is absent, but the default clock looks like it might be present as 500MHz. 497 seems weird and I assume is due to an inaccurate PLL or loss due to spread spectrum. This would put the turbo clock at 690MHz, again which makes more sense than 686MHz. I can turn off turbo and just use the default clock, so if this 500MHz entry is it, then overclocking seems doable. The thing is though software reports 335Mhz as the idle clock, but the closest value present in the clock table is 350MHz. That's too far apart to be the same thing. I'm thinking that the clock table is bogus (it has memory clocks in it despite no memory being present) and that the driver or AGESA has frequencies coded in for APUs, making the best I can do a 40MHz overclock by turning the APU into a richland via device ID, and that's assuming the driver handles clocks and not AGESA, since my AGESA does not support richland (The version name TrinyPI V1.1 seems to imply trinity only...). The table is present in the VBIOS module starting at offset 0xAD60 if anyone wants to take a look.

Again I'm wondering what modder people think. I'm worried that everything is AGESA's fault, and I can't find anything on modding AGESA.

OK I am replying to myself to state my current idea:

Since the vBIOS doesn't seem to contain the clock info, I am thinking that I could change the device ID in the vBIOS to that of the 7660d, the desktop version of the same exact APU which does allow overclocking. This might be enough to trick the AGESA and/or the driver into letting me overclock. The thing is though that the laptop supports several different APUs with different size cores and clocks, so I don't know how the system can support all of them with the same vBIOS, which makes me think it reads from the CPUID or something to know what to do for each APU. I would really like to hear what people think on this.

Found VBIOS in desktop BIOS. It starts halfway into the module and seems to get cutoff into another module, so I can't just throw it into RBE to see clock values and stuff. There are also a 2nd copy in a 2nd module, which seems odd.

partial desktop VBIOS modules:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s93rd3vm7ca2304/A062CF1F-8473-4AA3-8793-600BC4FFE9A8_426.ROM

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ex7j9w0gnch2yf8/48DCABDF-CE6D-465C-B832-FD1BD169F3EA_278.ROM

Well I'm done now unless someone has an idea.

• 2 weeks later...
I only took a very quick look, haven't worked with AMD in a while and I'm currently not up to date with the kind of changes they introduced since the 7970m.

This might give you overdrive, worth a try.

Just to clarify, the slider in overdrive is already "unlocked". Settings over 686MHz have no real world effect (I once set over 2ghz and the laptop was still running...). So does this mod have a chance at getting 686MHz+ working, or were you thinking that I did not have a slider in overdrive?

http://i.imgur.com/TyrB9aG.png

Update: Actually now that I think about it, you probably mean overdrive in the control panel. OK trying it.

Update2: where the hell do I download flashit.exe so I don't need to flash in win8...

Update3: Flashed it and it didn't work even with clearing cmos, reinstalling the driver, and trying the afterburner trick.

Any other ideas?

OK well here's a new update... I looked up the vbios version and date in the vBIOS file in the sBIOS, and both are different from what the driver reports.

Toshiba included a completely random vBIOS in their sBIOS...

UPDATE:

OK this one is definitely the right vBIOS. The date and version match, and it says trinity: https://mega.co.nz/#!3AZ0CB6Y!0a_bK1QzO6uXPDksHkJ4_nAUmI9z6I8uPmiJVzz1z2A

Update 2: I can't find a clock table in this vBIOS.

Can you do the same overdrive trick on the real vBIOS?

The clock table is void... o.O It seems AMD changed a lot of things recently... all I can say is that the clock table I was working with all the time is empty.

What about making the driver see a 7660d instead of a 7660g? 7660d is the desktop version and overclocks fine.

Worth a try... but the device ID is probably implemented hardware-wise. I mean it is also in the vbios but I guess that's not how it gets read.

I think a device ID change is very likely a lost cause since the laptop supports several different APUs, all with the same vBIOS version.

I have another idea though:

Here's a vBIOS for a desktop trinity. For some reason it was not aligned on module boundaries, which made it harder to find and extract. Unfortunately it is a later version than my laptop's vBIOS, making them harder to compare:

https://mega.co.nz/#!eJ4VnQSS!6T9DtrCg407dXWsU7zb_pi8p7X2G85vXi-LHnNdE6HA

I can't find a desktop with a vBIOS version as old as mine, even if I download the initial release...

I wonder if I could just copy/paste the vBIOS? I swapped the files and rebuilt the BIOS. I'll flash it when the programmer arrives and I backed up the current BIOS.

Does anything stand out to you in the desktop version, and what do you think of the vBIOS swap idea? I'm thinking that there possibly is some flag somewhere in the vBIOS that disables overclocking that we will never find, and if so this would take care of that.

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2014 at 8:50 AM, Khenglish said:

Yeah, definitely not trying it without the programmer.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but is there any update on the topic? I wanted to overclock my 7660g as well, but to no avail as there is no vbios editor that supports my vbios. On that note, my HP vbios for the 7660g is different from the stock one which is pretty interesting.

7660g.rar