INTEL 3920XM / 3940XM on P150EM HELP!

6zumlachen

Hey guys, so right now ive got the P150EM with 3610QM and 680M GTX which scores around 7900 points in 3D Mark 11.

i have 1000 euro to give out and make it better. What would you guys buy? will the PSU of the P150EM ( 180W ) handle the Intel XM ?

And if yes which one to get ? and worth overclocking or the temperature will be high on P150EM cause of the bad cooling?

I really couldnt find any information if P150EM is able to handle an overclocked 3940XM or the lower version 3929XM and if its worth the increase!

HELP!

Assuming you have the aluminum CPU radiator your cooling can't handle overclocking the CPU much. As for 3940xm vs 3920xm there is zero benefit to spend more on the 3940xm since the P150EM is overclockable and both CPUs are unlocked. The 3940xm is just a slightly overclocked 3920xm.

Some games will benefit from the stronger CPU while others won't, but CPU is really the only upgrade option you have.

The 180W PSU cannot handle an overclocked CPU and GPU at the same time. Even mild overclocking will likely trip the PSU. You could not overclock the CPU and it'd still be substantially faster than the 3610qm, but that's a bit of a waste of an XM. If you want to push the CPU you'll need to get the copper radiator and a stronger PSU, but it will run around 3.6ghz without overclocking anyway which should be plenty powerful.

Assuming you have the aluminum CPU radiator your cooling can't handle overclocking the CPU much. As for 3940xm vs 3920xm there is zero benefit to spend more on the 3940xm since the P150EM is overclockable and both CPUs are unlocked. The 3940xm is just a slightly overclocked 3920xm.

Some games will benefit from the stronger CPU while others won't, but CPU is really the only upgrade option you have.

The 180W PSU cannot handle an overclocked CPU and GPU at the same time. Even mild overclocking will likely trip the PSU. You could not overclock the CPU and it'd still be substantially faster than the 3610qm, but that's a bit of a waste of an XM. If you want to push the CPU you'll need to get the copper radiator and a stronger PSU, but it will run around 3.6ghz without overclocking anyway which should be plenty powerful.

hi the P150EM has a copper radiator...its normal lol isnt it? can you help me with getting a psu? i mean i got 2x 180W here can i somehow mod them to work together?

hi the P150EM has a copper radiator...its normal lol isnt it? can you help me with getting a psu? i mean i got 2x 180W here can i somehow mod them to work together?

No the standard P150EM CPU radiator is aluminum (see here), but many sites let you get the copper P170 cooler instead. You can probably make 2 180W work together, but it hasn't been tried so it might not work properly.

No the standard P150EM CPU radiator is aluminum (see here), but many sites let you get the copper P170 cooler instead. You can probably make 2 180W work together, but it hasn't been tried so it might not work properly.

cant find it would appreciate it if you could link me to it. And what would u think about selling the p150em and getting maybe a alienware? those are better at overclocking maybe its more worth using the 1000 € + w/e i get for the p150em... what do you think its worth around.. with 12GB kingston hyper X + 680m gtx. I really dont know how much a PSU for OC + Copper cooler will cost cause i couldnt find any on google, i tried searching for p170 copper cooler nothing :x

cant find it would appreciate it if you could link me to it. And what would u think about selling the p150em and getting maybe a alienware? those are better at overclocking maybe its more worth using the 1000 € + w/e i get for the p150em... what do you think its worth around.. with 12GB kingston hyper X + 680m gtx. I really dont know how much a PSU for OC + Copper cooler will cost cause i couldnt find any on google, i tried searching for p170 copper cooler nothing :x

copper heatsink here. HM series cooling is identical to EM series. Make sure you order the P170HM part. P170HM radiator is copper while P150HM radiator is aluminum. It is $60 and is really only helpful if you get a stronger PSU. I would just get the CPU first and see how things go from there.

In regards to AW only the m18x overclocks better than clevo. The copper heatsink should improve CPU cooling substantially. Prior to any mods I could sustain 65W to the CPU with it.