Video Request for Brian or others who have pasted.

Brian,

Since you have done the tear up and down of the M18x so many times can you do a video before you return yours on how to disassemble and paste the processor and gpu's?

I've never done it and I've seen some of the other video's but the M18x is a different beast to tear down and I think a video would be a huge help.

Thoughts?

• Founder

Sure, thats exactly what I planned to do tonight anyway. I'm getting an exchange rather than returning it so I'll be holding on to this unit for at least another 10 days until my exchange arrives (with hopefully no issues).

• Thumbs Up 2

That's great of you Brian. The M18X is posted at Dell.com and it shows a basic tear down depending on what you are replacing and removing there can be a lot of steps. I checked it out and it's a delicate flower in areas and one wrong move and you pull a Brian. Joking. With Brians experience all of us should take heed... If it can happen that easily for Brian... It's more than likely to happen to anyone who has little experience in a intricate system like this good thing Brian said he'd make a video and save ourselves the heartache. This thing really is that bad. You have to be careful with the small thin plastic brackets that make up some of the keyboard surrounding, there's tabs and everything is delicate in removal. Under the keyboard you can get to the secondary dimms of memory. Under the bottom plate you have access to the first dimms of memory, the hard drives and all fans even for dusting. The prob will be for repasting. You have to remove a lot just a couple steps shy of a mother board replacement.

Edited by mw86

Yeah. Brian said he's tearing it down in 15 mins now so it will be nice to see the vid. Also I don't think he did anything it was what he was trying to fix direct from the factory :)

True I also think Dell needs to use stronger plastics!