I Need your Help

Hi guys is me again, I am making this thread because of Brian and littleone Temperatures Issue with the Second GPU.

As you most of you know I have a M17x-R1 and for the longest time I posted here that i believe that my second GPU is displaying the same Issue that made them return your machines, this is leading me to believe that the problem was present since the R-1 revision, they corrected on the R2(which by everyone input seems to be the best of the series) and probably the R3.

Now it seems the m18x-R1 have this issue also and as you know I have one coming my way and I would love to see if the problem really started even before the m18x was designed.

So if you willing please give me a hand help to determine if this is the case, so let's do the scientific way, What should we do as step one?

• Founder

To start:

1. Have you repasted both GPUs?

2. Are both vents and sinks clear of dust?

3. What tools and tests are you using to determine the temps?

4. What brand of video cards are they? nVidia and ATi don't necessarily behave the same way.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. No I haven't re paste both GPU's I want to see If any normal user would be able to solve that problem without fiddling with re pasting (now if is absolutely necessary i am up to it).

2.both Vents and sinks are clean as a whistle, they get cleaned once a week.

3.tools I am using HWinfo 32 and I will welcome if you can recommend if We need something else.

4.The video cards are the GTX 260M with 1 GB DDR3 of memory

5.Drivers I am using the 270.61 in Sli

As you can see the machine has no load(besides the Web browser) and you can see a big gap in the temperature difference.

post-135-14494988006537_thumb.jpg

• Founder

Look at the shader/geometry/memory clocks for the first 260M GTX, its running at full speed vs card 2. That's why the temps are off.

Look at the shader/geometry/memory clocks for the first 260M GTX, its running at full speed vs card 2. That's why the temps are off.

So is this normal? is one card defective? is something we can do?

• Founder

Well nVidia's powermizer should be kicking in and putting both cards at a lower clock. Did you have flash or some process running in the background that might be utilizing the GPU?

It looks like you have Windows Aero enabled it can sometimes cause the first gpu to kick in to full 3D clocks but what is strange is your second gpu shouldn't be active in that scenario and its in fact hotter than the first gpu... very strange.