HD 7970M overclocking problem

Donkolle

Hey guys,

I have a Alienware M17xR4 with an I-7 3610QM - 8GB DDR 3 RAM - HD7970M

i've tried to overclock my gpu and it worked - no error or something.

The only strange thing is that i can't overclock it with TRIXX, the highest possible stats where it runs smooth it at 925/1450.

But even if i flash it with the 1150 overvoltaged bios from this forum i can't get it higher.

Do you have any ideas why this doesn't work well?

I would be very happy if you could give me some tipps :)

Edit: i have another strange problem - if i overclock it to ~1000/1500 or so and run the heaven benchmark - nothing happens and it works - if i run BF4 with those settings it crashs.

Hey guys,

I have a Alienware M17xR4 with an I-7 3610QM - 8GB DDR 3 RAM - HD7970M

i've tried to overclock my gpu and it worked - no error or something.

The only strange thing is that i can't overclock it with TRIXX, the highest possible stats where it runs smooth it at 925/1450.

But even if i flash it with the 1150 overvoltaged bios from this forum i can't get it higher.

Do you have any ideas why this doesn't work well?

I would be very happy if you could give me some tipps :)

Edit: i have another strange problem - if i overclock it to ~1000/1500 or so and run the heaven benchmark - nothing happens and it works - if i run BF4 with those settings it crashs.

Have you tried an overvolted BIOS below 1.15V? That is a very high voltage.

Yes i tried both - the 1.125 and the 1.15 with the same results.

Or is maybe TRIXX the problem and i have to overclock it on another way?

I use Precision X. Also 1.125V is still high too. Try 1.075V or 1.1V. Expect 20-25mhz gain on the core clock per .025V increase on the core.

I made another test and flashed it with the 1.125 - i saw something where i'm not sure if it is correct.

Maybe you could help me :)

while it flashes:

even the old and the new product name is

Wimbledon XT A81 MXM GDDR5 300c/150m 0.9V A1

Is this 0.9V the problem? cause it looks like it doesn't change the voltage?!

I made another test and flashed it with the 1.125 - i saw something where i'm not sure if it is correct.

Maybe you could help me :)

while it flashes:

even the old and the new product name is

Wimbledon XT A81 MXM GDDR5 300c/150m 0.9V A1

Is this 0.9V the problem? cause it looks like it doesn't change the voltage?!

I think that 0.9V refers to something other than voltage. 925mhz at .9V is pretty much impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Take a screenprint with GPUshark on the detailed view. That will tell us what voltage the card is really running at those clocks. Some cards refuse to change voltage and are "stuck" at default voltage or lower irrespective of what vBIOS you flash.

Good news is you can fix that by flashing a modded vBIOS with multiple values in the voltage table changed to the voltage you want so the card is forced to run at that voltage.

Take a screenprint with GPUshark on the detailed view. That will tell us what voltage the card is really running at those clocks. Some cards refuse to change voltage and are "stuck" at default voltage or lower irrespective of what vBIOS you flash.

Good news is you can fix that by flashing a modded vBIOS with multiple values in the voltage table changed to the voltage you want so the card is forced to run at that voltage.

Thanks for your answer.

I will make a screenprint this evening and upload it... thans for this info :)

Hm i thought i already did that with flashing the modded and overvolted vBIOS - or do i have a brainlag? :/

And... where can i get those modded vBIOS with multiple values?

I just found the vBIOS pack here.

Do you have any photo's of your card before installing it? The below differences should help identify which card you have.

DELL cards

- Blue PCB

- Silver screw holes

- AMD logo on the PCB

CLEVO cards

- Blueish green PCB

- Brown screw holes

- May have capacitors that are uneven as they were hand soldered.

I've edited my previous post to a link to one of svl7's forced vBIOS's, try that.