Need Help Deciding

1. Should I buy an M18x now or wait? I mean would the new GPU options completely overshadow 6970CF?

2. What's the best SATA3 SSD brand for the M18x/M17x R3 (with emphasis on stability and compatibility)?

Thanks in advance!

• Founder

It depends on what you think you need. The new GPU options are just a rumor right now and usually Alienware takes a while with testing so I doubt they're going to introduce the M18x just now and release new faster GPU's in one month. However, right now I only see the 560M making an appearance, not the black comb xtx for GTX 580M. I think the latter two will be slated for the M18x-R2 along with some other enhancements (maybe chipset change to Z68 and ivy bridge). Best SATA 3 brand with emphasis on stability is an Intel SSD, either 320 series or 510.

OCZ's business practices are more than questionable.

I would personally go for the Corsair Force 3 series at this point, over OCZ.

Without a doubt, the corsairs should be the fastest drives out by about 5k-10k IOPS.

I run a datacenter with many of the corsair force 2 drives, and havent had a single DOA (which is suprising for SSDS) whereas the OCZ equivalent drives had a 1 in 4 (yes, thats one in four) DOA rate. Stopped buying them once I figured that out and switched to the corsairs.

Sandforce v1 drives have a few issues, for example if you fill it up completely with incompressible data you can never trim it to full performance again. Thats pretty fucking bad.

The new Sandforce drives (vertex 3, force 3) are exceptional. They have excellent wear leveling (90 years+ at full thrashing all the time) and are the highest performance - so long as the manufacturer builds high quality drives with the chips (hence the OCZ issues...)

The intel drives are higher build quality than any other drive, bar none. Its ridiculous. But you get slightly less performance and slightly less wear leveling reliability. We are still talking 60-80 years continuous use so its not something to worry about though.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

I read Vertex 3 standard has 25nm NAND from the Intel/Micron partnership, the Max IOPS drive uses 32nm toggle mode NAND from Toshiba. Boiling it down to the basic points, the Toshiba NAND is up to three times faster and also consumes less power.

Found here: OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD Review (240GB) | StorageReview.com

That doesn't mean vertex is reliable but I mean to point out there is a difference in their two models builds due to completely different memory being utilized and its interesting that Intel makes the mem for Vertex 3 but Toshiba does for the Vertex 3 Max IOPS edition.

Vertex 3 Max versus Corsair Force 3 seems similar write and read speeds and the only difference is Corsair seems to have the advantage at 10K more IOPS @ 4kb writes

Corsair mentioned here compared to Vertex.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/75-memory/43164-corsair-luanches-sandforce-basa-force-3-series.html

Edited by mw86

• Founder

I think i read on OCZ forums that the pefrormance of 240GB & 240GB IOPS is almost identical.

Would be awesome to see the IOPS in a alienware.

Here are my results without any tweaks

9WYC0.png

• Thumbs Up 1

It depends on what you think you need. The new GPU options are just a rumor right now and usually Alienware takes a while with testing so I doubt they're going to introduce the M18x just now and release new faster GPU's in one month. However, right now I only see the 560M making an appearance, not the black comb xtx for GTX 580M. I think the latter two will be slated for the M18x-R2 along with some other enhancements (maybe chipset change to Z68 and ivy bridge). Best SATA 3 brand with emphasis on stability is an Intel SSD, either 320 series or 510.

Based on your M18x experience, would you still give the green light?

I'll be ordering the same configuration as yours - minus the wireless HD transmitter (since I'd probably never use it), and will be installing an SSD (most likely an M4) and an 8GB 1600mhz kingston (2 DIMMs).

• Founder
Based on your M18x experience, would you still give the green light?

I'll be ordering the same configuration as yours - minus the wireless HD transmitter (since I'd probably never use it), and will be installing an SSD (most likely an M4) and an 8GB 1600mhz kingston (2 DIMMs).

I love the M18x if that tells you anything. I like it more than my previous M17x-R2 despite not having RGB LED. It's an all around better system and Alienware's best yet.

• Founder
Then color me curious about the results after the tweaks. Those numbers are actually quite good!

-Ash

Tried JJBs tweak - no improvements whatsoever, it even went down a bit.

Still need to try the intelppm tweak but i suspect that won't change the results.

Also, i am new to sandforce drives, should i make 1 fill or 0 fill in CDM for it? the result u see is with random data fill.

Uncompressible data is an unrealistic test for any drive. You arent going to be using 100% uncompressible data. So yeah, random is better for all benchmarks.

So the tweaks didnt change anything huh? Thats a bit of a worry. The intelPPM trick will most definately help though, as it disables the auto cstate change.

Looking forward to results with your m18x ;)

-Ash

• Founder
Seeing what Brian went through with his temperature issue, I'm honestly tempted to cancel my order. lol xD

I'm really hoping mine is just an isolated case. JTOverath doesn't seem to have this problem but littleone does. So we'll just have to keep watch.

• Founder

Lets put things in proportion here guys, even if one of the GPUs heats more than the other does not necessarily mean trouble. If both are loaded to 100% performance doesn't suffer.

Sure i wouldn't be happy if that'd happen to me, but that's because i have my OCD about those things.

Still, the M18x is a hell of a powerful laptop.

• Thumbs Up 2