[HELP] Possible brick with the vbios flash

inyue

Hi, so... The dumb guy here did something wrong and now I'm despaired.

I own a Sager NP9150 and wanted to flash the vbios. I used the Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10_'OCedition'_revised_01 - OV 1050v.zip.

After the apparently successful installation, I pressed the CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot, and I think that at this time I removed the USB together. I can't remember if it restarted or just shut down, but after I turned on the machine, I'm getting a screen saying:

Intel ® Ivybridge Mobile PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS

Build Number: 2120 PC 14.34 08/03/2011 2312

DECOMPILATION OR DISSEAMBLY PROHIBITED

Copyright © 2000-2011 Intel Corp. All right reserved.

I can't access anything and I can't past over this screen. I did a search on the web and tried all the things possible.

Also, I getting long and noisy beeps after few seconds on this screen.

What I tried:

F2, F7 or F"something" at the boot...

Removed the battery, unplugged...

Removed all the rams, replaced it after...

Now I'm disassembling the whole laptop (removed the speaker connectors becausethese beeps getting annoying). The cool thing i broke one of the screws at the keyboard, so I'm doing a reverse disassemble.... TOTAL DISASTER.

I'll try more things after, but any thought guys?

Thanks...

Are you sure you waited until the flash was done? Also, you didn't flash the .zip archive, right? (You wouldn't be the first one to do so...).

That's the POST message of the Intel HD vbios. You could remove the 680m and try booting with the Intel HD, and depending on the bios you might be able to adjust some settings that will allow you to boot with the 680m disabled and then recover and flash again, but I kinda doubt that this is possible with your system. @Prema might know more.

Else I can sell you a vbios chip with the proper firmware flashed, you'd only need to swap it on the card. Or you could send me the card and I fix it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, removed the gpu and it's working again. Placing the GPU again, the INTEL HD black screen appears...

The GPU while at this screen is getting hot, so it's just an unsuccessful flash?...

I "think" i'm sure that I waited the full process... And used the .rom file. Also I have the backup of my old vbios, can I do something with this thing?

Thanks for the help....

Edit:

Would a thing called "blind flash" do the job?

If your main BIOS is too old you can't use vBIOS v33.

Please enter the BIOS setup menu (F2 during boot) and tell us your BIOS and EC version.

With the GPU removed you have a certain time limit before the EC shuts down the system automatically.

Yep that BIOS is the reason. You can't use it without gpu for extended periods.

Let it cool down now and in the meantime grab my Mod BIOS from here and prepare the flash.

The correct version is P150EM_17_11_PM_v2 or P150EM_17_11_PM_v2_K2 depending on your keyboard model.

P-EM Regular Version > Win key on the right & FULL FAN = FN+9

P-EM K2 VERSION > Win key on the left & FULL FAN = FN+1

Follow the incl. readme!!!

After the flash you can re-install the gpu and have fun. :)

Thanks a lot.

So I need to try to update the bios. But the machine can't stay on for more than like 30 seconds (sometime like 10). Or at the bios update environment it should be okay?

Before I could pass the boot and access the windows, now I'm getting stuck at the boot screen (it freezes) and for some reasons my fan are working at full speed D:

That's why I said let it cool down first... it maybe good to use the Stock BIOS first. It flashes faster than the Mod:

EDIT2:

OK this is what you do:

- Format the USB stick with Rufus (just select MS-DOS and not free-dos)

- Copy folder content from the attachement direclty into the root of the USB stick (do not copy the folder itself) PW is: premamod.com

- Remove all mSata/SSD/HDD and insert the USB stick into the USB 2 port

- boot the system

- on the command prompt type "x" and hit "enter" (don't loose time here)

- The system will auto-shutdown after the flash

- Re-Install all your drives and the GPU

- Reboot and if you want install the BIOS Mod version the normal "readme way"

:)

P150EM_17_11_Stock_fast.rar

Thanks again.

But I went and tried to install the modded bios...Was installing fine for 2 minutes. Installation complete (?) and I pressed a random key to reboot, and I think shutted down (same like I'm having) instead of the reboot.

Powered the laptop and I think the first boot screen (bios) changed (bigger letter/image than unusual with yellow/orange colors), after few seconds... shutted down... I didn't try to boot again, instead I placed the GPU and tried to boot....

Nothing appears on the monitor, after some seconds if I have the fans plugged at MB, it starts to move (always full speed) and it shuts down. Removed the GPU and tried to boot and get the same symptom.

Oh...

Do you think I still have a hope? :(

I'm fighting with this machine for like 8 hours, the cool thing that I bought it less than one month ago, lol. I just started to think to disassemble it and sell the parts...

Well, the battery... Would I need to replace it Or just remove one time?

Thanks again for your time.

Edit:

Well, it's 4:10 AM here in Japan, I need a nap...

If the flash finished and didn't shut-down before then everything should be fine.

1. Unplug the PSU (Power Supply Unit)

2. Remove the Battery

3. Remove the small CMOS Battery (under the keyboard) for about 30 seconds

4. Repeat steps in reverse order

GN8 :)

Had the KB semi removed so I tried... Battery unplugged for 2-3 minutes...

Nothing :(

You are now testing without the GPU right?

You can use the "P150EM.17" file from the archive above and rename it to "P15EMx.rom" or "P15EM.rom", put it on the USB stick and boot with FN+B buttons pressed.

If you are lucky this recovers the BIOS.

Also take a look here, where someone with another model is in a similar situation:

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-sager/4985-picture-clevo-recovery-menu.html

Yeah, without the GPU.

Tested to boot with these things with the USB, the USB Led powers one time when I do the boot and power goes down after 10-20 sec like before...

Tried to changed the ram, nothing too.

Well, I'm prepared, do your final judgment !!!!

:sorrow:

Well, I was prepared =/

No warranty left on the machine, I live in Japan, so the shipping costs to US should be like $100 (and more $100 to return), $45 of initial estimate fee for out of warranty products. Min of $250, argh...

What do you think that happened to my machine? The mother board is broken?

RAM is ok, CPU is ok, the GPU I couldn't recognize because the BIOS of the mother board was desactualized, so I guess it's still working...?

Also I can't use the screen anymore after the fail BIOS actualization of the mother board.

I'm thinking to sell the working parts...

Thanks.

I think the BIOS flash didn't complete when the system shutdown because of the wrong EC readings.

You should be able to go to any local Computer Shop that does repairs and get it fixed for just a few bucks.

I can send you a working chip dump which they can use to just re-program a single chip on the motherboard to make it working again.

I will also give you the exact location of the chip, so they don't have to dig around.

PM me if you want to do it that way.

I think the BIOS flash didn't complete when the system shutdown because of the wrong EC readings.

You should be able to go to any local Computer Shop that does repairs and get it fixed for just a few bucks.

I can send you a working chip dump which they can use to just re-program a single chip on the motherboard to make it working again.

I will also give you the exact location of the chip, so they don't have to dig around.

PM me if you want to do it that way.

I'll think about it and send a PM in the next few days, but I'll probably part it and sell the parts.

For now, I want to thank you again for the all support that you did for me. Shame that it had a bad end because of me :P

Regards, Ishii.

• 3 weeks later...