M17X Project: Legacy

Congrats ichime, very well done! Have you tried using kill a watt to see how much power Crossfire is sucking? I bet that 240W PSU is crying uncle. A hack to enable the M18x PSU would be icing on the cake.

I did and during a Vantage run, it maxxed out at 247 watts. With Turbo mode disabled, it maxxed out at around 215 watts but I also got a Vantage GPU score of 17,700, so CPU clocks definitely gives these cards some juice.

I hear TheWiz is still working on another VBIOS release for the M17x R2 but don't know what features are going to be available. If he could give access to Intel Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP) and take off the Dell PSU check, then the R2 would be able to play with the big boys again :D

Also, I finished about 3 and a half hours of gaming (Heroes of Newerth, Dirt 2, Bad Company 2) and everything seemed fine, except for the start of Dirt 2 where I would get some hiccups when there was a lot of sunlight in the scene. Temperature never touched 80 degrees in any of the sensors, making me rethink if I want to do that heatsink mod.

Tomorrow (later today), I'll have to work on the crossfire wiring. Long story short, it's messy and it's a tight fit. After that, I'll probably write a tutorial now that 6970M single or crossfire + M17x R2 is practical.

• Thumbs Up 5

Wow, fantastic work!!

Can you post (or send me) the vbios of the card? I want to test whether it solves my fan issue, as soon as I put the 6970m back in my system.

@ichime if you get a chance can you throw a 3Dmark2011 bench in there... congrats that is awesome RGB and Dual 6970M!

Sure. Here's a link to the run:

Result

Screenshot:

m17xr26970mcfx3d11.th.jpg

Wow, fantastic work!!

Can you post (or send me) the vbios of the card? I want to test whether it solves my fan issue, as soon as I put the 6970m back in my system.

Sent via e-mail

• Thumbs Up 1

If you OC your CPU is the PSU tripping?

I haven't done a throttlestop-type OC, but I'll do that soon. In the meantime, here's an OC'd vantage run (750/1000 using overdrive):

Cards overclocked to 750/1000

m17xr26970mcfx7501000.th.jpg

Other tidbits:

I edited the VBIOS to increase the overdrive OC limits (another benefit of using the Clevo VBIOS)

Ambient temperature was 81 degrees F

PSU never tripped and Kill-a-Watt read a max of 251 watts

After another game of HoN, I'll get started on that tutorial :D

• Founder

22K GPU score :D

btw can you increase the voltage on the cards? or is it limited like on the Dell VBIOS?

what field did you edit with the radeon editor to enable the overdrive inside CCC? (I was only able to use overdrive on linux catalyst but not on Windows)

Seems to have the same limits as the Dell VBIOS: going into 3d @ 1.15v just causes driver crashes.

As for the CCC overdrive limit editing, I used Method 2 (no hash) and just increased the limit to 900/1200 from Clevo's original 730/1000. It's under additional features and is only available when using the Clevo VBIOS.

Experienced my first PSU trips. Happened after increasing the base clock and also while benching at 850/1100mhz. I'm gonna need that 330w PSU with the modded bios to remove the restriction before I push the CPU and/or CPU. And because I used overdrive and left it locked, I had to use system restore to get things back to normal...haha. Now I see why people use TriXX

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest bifnewman

Wow, nice man! PSU tripping sucks. It will be interesting to see what happens next with BIOS modding. We should get someone working on this ASAP... If this goes well, I'll get a refund for my M17x R2 and get a 920xm, rgb led, dual 4870's from the Dell Outlet. At my rate, I would be spending about $1200 just upgrading the one I have if I get RGB LED. I'm 14, so I'm not exactly on a steady income yet but I'm getting a summer job which should help me pay for this. 1920x1200 with dual 6970m's is awesome though, thanks for taking the plunge even though the odds were against you.

Guest bifnewman

For those interested in this, I found a pretty good price. $420/card. You will have to use your existing crossfire cable or buy a new one but I think they are hard to find. Are all laptop crossfire cables the same?

ATI Mobility Radeon

For those interested in this, I found a pretty good price. $420/card. You will have to use your existing crossfire cable or buy a new one but I think they are hard to find. Are all laptop crossfire cables the same?

ATI Mobility Radeon

I have to advise against this card, they have the screw holes for mounting the heatsink soldered on to the PCB board... but since Clevo uses screws with a slightly smaller diameter this is a problem when you want to put it in an Alienware.

When ordering a Clevo / Eurocom card you should first of all contact the vendor and ask whether there are proper holes for mounting a back plate or not, I know there are Clevo /Eurocom cards with regular holes.

About the CF cable, this seller should have them as well, that's actually Eurocom which is selling parts on ebay.

@ichime: I hope it works fine with the bigger PSU!

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest bifnewman
I have to advise against this card, they have the screw holes for mounting the heatsink soldered on to the PCB board... but since Clevo uses screws with a slightly smaller diameter this is a problem when you want to put it in an Alienware.

When ordering a Clevo / Eurocom card you should first of all contact the vendor and ask whether there are proper holes for mounting a back plate or not, I know there are Clevo /Eurocom cards with regular holes.

About the CF cable, this seller should have them as well, that's actually Eurocom which is selling parts on ebay.

@ichime: I hope it works fine with the bigger PSU!

That stinks... It is pretty good price too. Can you just buy the smaller diameter screws to fit the mounting holes of the clevo card?

Yes, smaller screws should work, but they need to fit perfectly and have the correct length. Also you have to be careful in case you don't use the retention clips.

You can also desolder or drill out the soldered on holes, but that needs a lot of care and is not a nice solution for such an expensive card. In addition to this there's always the danger of ESD damage when doing such a crazy mod.

That stinks... It is pretty good price too. Can you just buy the smaller diameter screws to fit the mounting holes of the clevo card?

Those Eurocom cards are pretty much the same as the Clevo cards with the exception of the board being a Cyanish color, retention clip mounting and possibly a different VBIOS. If you ask the seller (I bought stuff from him/Eurocom before) to provide you with the heatsink screws (should be 4 screws per card), then you should be fine. The tutorial I'm working on will point out how to combine the retention clip mod/removal with the new screws provided by Clevo.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know a good anodizing/plating company that does type 2 anodizing? You would think living in New York that would be easy to find...

Aside from that, it looks like I might give a nVidia Fermi setup another shot in the R2 chassis...

Tried them and most of the advertised NY Metal finishing companies that do type 2, but they only do it for "commercial" or high volume requests. I'll probably look for a chop shop around my area...

• 2 weeks later...

Still stuck with the anodizing part of it. I found a place that would do it, but I have to shine it up more and degrease it before I give it to them. Hopefully I'll have something done by next week.