Hate my Y510p

jrbaytown

Question

So I have a Y510p and it was a warranty replacement for my Y580 which had major issues. Lenovo replaced the Y580 with the Y510p and while it is an ok laptop, certain things about it drive me crazy and I'm ready for a new one.

Other than Lenovo, Sony or Asus, what is a notebook around the $1000 - $1200 range that will be comparable to the specs of the Y510p, but allow me to change internal components without hacking the BIOS. My biggest problem is with the Intel 2230 and I'd seriously get rid of a notebook over the wifi card. But I just don't like the laptop overall. Not to mention Lenovo tech support and the Lenovo website have got to be the worst.

The Y510p specs are:

Core i7-4700MQ

GeForce GT 750M

8 GB DDR III

24 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

Blu-ray RW-drive

Full HD matte display

Intel 2230 Wireless N

I don't think so - it's soldered directly onto the motherboard. If you want a graphics upgrade, your only option is pretty much buying an matching ultrabay card for SLI (if you don't have one already). Theoretically if you knew how to solder and de-solder BGA's you could replace the GPU... maybe.

Hate is a bit of a strong word. I am also quite frustrated with the wifi whitelist and their website as well, but when you look at bang for the buck its hard to beat the y510p. I dont know much about your 580 so I dont know if I would be satisfied with the switch.