Board Upgrade - i7-2960XM OC Issue

J95

Yep. Uploaded previous post, check report first.

Tried all I could. First your import method and end result was 1866@cr1 LOL its the TCK adjustment it shows it as 1066mhz so it loads on this haswell motherboard at 1866. one nothc up for 1067.2 on the tck adjustment and it loads Cr2 2133 and same for the corsair profile. if i load that it loads cr1 but at 1866 and if i make the clock adjustment it loads 2133 cr2 lol. I think cr2 for haswell is automatic from 2133mhz + or atleast on the alienware. I can confirm this is handling on more than one system. Mr Fox has one of those models of 2133mhz ddr3l and his loads at 1866... its definitely the 1066 clock in the ram spd table and combined with haswell mobo. On an older gen the 1066 profile loads 2133 normally. So users with corsair 2133 trying for 2133 can get that easy by upping the tck adjustment one notch and nothing else but for haswell alienware it is loading cr2 @ 2133 and above. it may be set through intel due to all the integration in haswell imc and etc.

here is some more progress

post-34-14494998842396_thumb.jpg

bandwith above

timings below

post-34-14494998843206_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

@mw86

Yeah that is probably correct (1866MHz CR1), the controller or more limitations from Dell/AW. Still, 2200MHz is achievable, finding the right settings.

32000 MB/s Read, told you...:D

awesome bro you are absolutely right.

gonna finish tightening 2133 and post the timings, bandwidth again and the tests passed ie tm5, xtu and memtest maybe even Aida cache and memory test.

working on the secondary timings im surprised where i got them to today. I am running a memtest again till i get home later. maybe corsair users could even use my improved 2133mhz timings.

Then ill work on getting the 22x ram multiplier going at 100 instead of 133 and try for 2200 without a baseclock overclock. I think it may be stable on 2200 at stock timing 11 11 11 34 ill have to see and test from there.

J95 thanks for pushing me to try more and helping me with all the theory involved. More to come :D

• Thumbs Up 1

post-34-14494998850956_thumb.jpg

@J95 well here is where I am at for 2133mhz and i still cant get the multiplier for ram to switch to 100mhz instead of 133 and get the multiplier to 22x :( I was working on baseclock but i was getting an occasional nvidia driver crash at the baseclock to get to 2200mhz ram.. so I think that route pushes my PCIE too far.

there is the bandwidth, the memtest pass and the timings shown in Thaiphoon Burner. I included the stock table shown in Thaiphoon Burner to compare the timings.

post-34-14494998851804_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494998852582_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13272[/ATTACH]

@J95 well here is where I am at for 2133mhz and i still cant get the multiplier for ram to switch to 100mhz instead of 133 and get the multiplier to 22x :( I was working on baseclock but i was getting an occasional nvidia driver crash at the baseclock to get to 2200mhz ram.. so I think that route pushes my PCIE too far.

there is the bandwidth, the memtest pass and the timings shown in Thaiphoon Burner. I included the stock table shown in Thaiphoon Burner to compare the timings.

0.410 ns away CL9 nice! tRAS 27 tight!...:Banane09:

• Thumbs Up 1

0.410 ns away CL9 nice! tRAS 27 tight!...:Banane09:

Thanks J95 you helped me plenty along the way :Awesome: :Banane09: The secondary timings I was able to drop lower as well. I kept them in the same ratio they were stock so I dropped those as low as the last timing there the right side of timing table editor would go while keeping that Ratio, that value would not go lower than about 25 i think so I kept the others set according to that value. It is like from top right down.. second value is 3 times the first timing there, the third and fourth like 1/2 the second timing and i think the final timing was 5 times the first timing. lol anyway pretty happy at 2133. Thanks @J95

• Thumbs Up 1

Well done man. Firefox issues, I want to rep you and instead I get the report option.

Thanks man its all good just happy to share :) maybe with a little work on the desktop im building it might give me some insight on how to make 2400mhz draw less juice on the timings i am able to use on the Alien 18 motherboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Board Upgrade - i7-2960XM i7-3940XM OC Issue Fixed!...:Banane35::Banane09:

First result, I still need to adjust settings. -500pts Win8.1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13361[/ATTACH]

bro excited to see pic but too small for me to read anything.

are you saying vs win 7 physics dropped -500 points?

Win8.1 result, so win7 should at least score +500 pts.

This only worked under UEFI, setting Legacy ROM reverts everything (NVRAM). Probably Dell used the same method for the new AW, of course excluding board power limitations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

the BIOS? If not, try that. Both of those being enable really hinders performance with Ivy Bridge, but with both disabled it screams. It also enhanced Sandy Bridge performance having both of those disabled. Additionally, disable all of the sensors starting with ME SMBus Thermal Reporting and below on the Platform Thermal Configuration menu. Look for the DTPF Configuration option and disable that, too.

Hope that helps.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 4 months later...

HyperX Impact 4gb SOdimm @ 2400Mhz

This has been a long journey. I will update this post with all my info's for 2400mhz that I have been able to learn in past couple months. @J95 this has been a long journey and I want to give J95 a special thanks for working with me trying to make a 2400mhz profile stable for Alien 18. I never succeeded but never gave up. I would also like to thank Prema for making such an amazing bios for the Eurocom Panther 5. The 16gb Kit of 2 8gb sticks of HyperX Impact first revision proved unstable at a full 2400mhz at any timing for my Haswell 4940MX in Alien 18. The endeavor proved to be well worth it as over time I worked 2400mhz out of HyperX impact 2nd revision SOdimm at 4gb sticks. The lower density ram proved to be the real boost to get 2400mhz stable. The following is the fruits of my labors over the last few months. Dual Channel 2400mhz on Alien 18 4940MX system.

For Alien 18 it took modifying the SPD table (XMP not available !?) to have 2400mhz and I started with timings that would place 2133mhz near stock in the SPD Tool Will be shown below in Image of Thaiphoon Burner to share my settings to recreate these results on your ram dear friends

Plus XMP working on Eurocom Panther 5 with customized timings which needed lots of work to get the correct timings in windows vs what was programmed to the ram. I used XTU to see what XMP profile timings loaded on the ram after I flashed the profiles and corrected them one at a time. Once they were at the right values I was able to boot them. Automatic/manual bios timings will never do 2400mhz perhaps as the 2400mhz options is not available in the bios options. Using XMP I was able to accomplish 2400mhz on the ram.

Included is XMP profiles for you guys as well to work on Panther 5 only as they are made to load the right timings specifically for Panther 5 bios

SEE SPOILER BELOW

8Gb 2400 mhz 12-13-14-25 Dual Channel @ 2x4gb on Haswell IMC i7-4940MX Alien 18

TM5 pass

post-34-14495000269137_thumb.jpg

Memtest pass

post-34-14495000269889_thumb.jpg

8Gb 2400 mhz Dual Channel @ 2x4gb

post-34-14495000271285_thumb.jpg

Ram Timings SPD Table

post-34-1449500027254_thumb.jpg

16Gb 2400 mhz 11-13-13-35 Quad Channel @ 4x4gb on Ivy Bridge Extreme IMC i7-4960X Eurocom Panther 5 Using XMP

2133 TM5 Pass

post-34-14495000273046_thumb.jpg

2400 TM5 Pass

post-34-14495000273733_thumb.jpg

2133 Quad Channel Aida

post-34-1449500027442_thumb.jpg

2400 Quad Channel Aida

post-34-14495000275146_thumb.jpg

Eurocom Panther 5 working XMP

stock hyper x impact 2133mhz 4gb quad channel XMP

2133.zip

hyper x impact 2400mhz 4gb quad channel xmp

2400.zip

hyper x impact 2400mhz tight timing 4gb quad channel xmp

2400 tight.zip

@J95 [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] @johnksss @usmc362 @Khenglish @Prema

• Thumbs Up 3

@mw86 That tWR is really high. Lower than that is not stable?

Hi buddy I am not sure, you mean for 2400mhz and on the Alien 18 timings or the Panther 5 XMP 2400? I can try lower? Should I try same TWTR as 2133mhz has as stock? I have to repaste everytime I reflash all 4 of my ram sticks lmao for the Panther 5. Lol I have 6 sticks of this ram, 4 in Panther and 2 in Alien 18 [emoji14] been quite fun getting all this working lol :) I would be glad to take advice to improve upon these timings more. The panther 5 xmp function is funky in operation so it takes some trial and error to get a targeted timing lol :) lower anything other than Twtr? maybe twr at the same time to same value?

You could probably get away with a litle lower tRFC too. The 18 tWR isn't even allowed on my system it is so high.

thanks so much :) Ill try to work these down today. The alien 18 set 232 seems lowest for tRFC so I am sure the Panther set I can atleast drop that to 232 or bit lower since they actually made it to 11-13-13 on the panther so should allow less. Maybe Ill try all the secondary timings for stock 2133 on the 2400mhz on the Alien see if that can be stable for all of those at once. For the Panther ill work on secondary and maybe try 11-13-13-30 I never got to test much on those only just started there, mainly was trying to get quad channel 2400mhz going first. How are these chips fairing btw for sodimm?

Hi buddy I am not sure, you mean for 2400mhz and on the Alien 18 timings or the Panther 5 XMP 2400? I can try lower? Should I try same TWTR as 2133mhz has as stock? I have to repaste everytime I reflash all 4 of my ram sticks lmao for the Panther 5. Lol I have 6 sticks of this ram, 4 in Panther and 2 in Alien 18 [emoji14] been quite fun getting all this working lol :) I would be glad to take advice to improve upon these timings more. The panther 5 xmp function is funky in operation so it takes some trial and error to get a targeted timing lol :) lower anything other than Twtr? maybe twr at the same time to same value?

Man, I sure do appreciate your work @mw86. I don't have Kingston Impact memory, so I am not sure if I can use those profiles with Thaiphoon Burner.

The Panther/P570WM memory controller is a real piece of work. It is very difficult to get above 1866 stable. Mine is very finicky about timings and often doesn't boot if I make one minor change. And, it can be tough to reset to defaults sometimes. I spent about 6 hours trying to get my 32GB of Vengeance DDR3L-2133 CL11 to work yesterday (my second attempt to use the Vengeance on the Panther since I bought it) and it tries to stay stuck at 1866 by default no matter what I tweak. I was able to get it to post at 2133 CL12 a couple of times, but it is not stable. I'm not having as many issues as the slower G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3L-2133 CL11 memory. If I set manual timings in the BIOS it is stable. Running the stock firmware on the Vengeance RAM with no tweaks it is unstable even at the 1866 it boots at by default. TM5 records tons of errors and so does ThrottleStop benchmark tool and the system freezes a lot. None of those problems with the G.SKILL, but the interesting part is the system is sold with Vengeance as an option.

Those same Vengeance RAM sticks work flawlessly in my M18xR2, boots at 2133 CL11 with the BIOS set to "Auto" for memory speed, so I am not sure what the deal is with the P570WM other than it just doesn't like these 8GB RAM sticks.

- - - Updated - - -

@mw86 - Question: does your Kingston Impact 2133 boot at 2133 with the BIOS set to "Automatic" for memory speed, or does it drop to 1866? Mine drops to 1866 with both Corsair and G.SKILL 2133 with the BIOS set to auto RAM speed.

Man, I sure do appreciate your work @mw86. I don't have Kingston Impact memory, so I am not sure if I can use those profiles with Thaiphoon Burner.

The Panther/P570WM memory controller is a real piece of work. It is very difficult to get above 1866 stable. Mine is very finicky about timings and often doesn't boot if I make one minor change. And, it can be tough to reset to defaults sometimes. I spent about 6 hours trying to get my 32GB of Vengeance DDR3L-2133 CL11 to work yesterday (my second attempt to use the Vengeance on the Panther since I bought it) and it tries to stay stuck at 1866 by default no matter what I tweak. I was able to get it to post at 2133 CL12 a couple of times, but it is not stable. I'm not having as many issues as the slower G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3L-2133 CL11 memory. If I set manual timings in the BIOS it is stable. Running the stock firmware on the Vengeance RAM with no tweaks it is unstable even at the 1866 it boots at by default. TM5 records tons of errors and so does ThrottleStop benchmark tool and the system freezes a lot. None of those problems with the G.SKILL, but the interesting part is the system is sold with Vengeance as an option.

Those same Vengeance RAM sticks work flawlessly in my M18xR2, boots at 2133 CL11 with the BIOS set to "Auto" for memory speed, so I am not sure what the deal is with the P570WM other than it just doesn't like these 8GB RAM sticks.

- - - Updated - - -

@mw86 - Question: does your Kingston Impact 2133 boot at 2133 with the BIOS set to "Automatic" for memory speed, or does it drop to 1866? Mine drops to 1866 with both Corsair and G.SKILL 2133 with the BIOS set to auto RAM speed.

You can in fact use the profiles I made them using XMP. add one of them to a single stick then boot the panther bios select XMP 1 or 2. i made those xmp just for our Panther. the issue which we can solve on a per ram model basis. ive noted several timings load same, 1/2 or 3 T less than is programmed when Auto or XMP is used. Going by what i observed and 50 flashes later i got the timings i was going for loading in windows. So if you provide me via pm/email your stock spd table or picture of all the timing I can make you an xmp just for the panther 5 and the model ram you have. i can fix it I have faith bro and hope to help all Panther 5 users get a lot of the ram sticks working on thier stock timing using xmp. if you open my xmp any of them you will see right away many values are higher than what you see they loaded for me in all my screenshots pertaining to the Panther 5 only. So to finally end your headache of manual timing and not being able to use your corsair I can lend a hand creating xmp for you. There were many factors that I had to sort before anything booted right so it seems it was a lost cause but I have accomplished stability over 1866. Btw my ram on stock timings on auto arent quite stable either because one like all of ours loads 1866mhz instead of 2133 but more importantly these timings are anywhere from 0-3T tighter than we have set in our ram be it stock spd table used via Automatic timing or XMP. Cheers I hope to help truly. Just let me know buddy I really want to help. will post more results of lowering timings as well.

Very important found also a key factor. The bios internally or IMC whichever has a Limit of 255 tRFC. Stock for my ram is higher than that probably why lots seems unstable for you guys. Have to use timings that dont need anymore than 255 unless we can eventually trick it into using higher. perhaps ivy bridge limitation ... IDK. i am coming from my experience learning and getting the 2400 done on Alien 18.

Can someone with Eurocom Panther 5 using quad channel ram post their Aida mem bench, I am trying to sort out the xmp profile and trying to understand if low ram write bandwith is normal for this motherboard/cpu/laptop etc /quad channel

Mr. Fox we can do it! These are repeatable results I am getting so the values arent random in the timings that arent working right. they essentially are loading with negative latency offsets if one could describe it that way.

I can map it out but for example to explain the issue I can see is happening is like this. your ram is 2133mhz 11-11-11-31 for example but when it loads you see 1866 10-10-10-29

the speed downgraded by one, the timings first three by 1T each and 2T for the 4th timing... now some of the values are loading as programmed. so identifying what values are loaded I managed to load a target set of timings accross the board but only using xmp did I finally see that. At the same time I was able to set an automatic profile up that used values higher in bios to load the proper timings in windows. Give me till tommorow and I will map out a basic +/- T diagram on a screenshot of thaiphoon burner so you could make your own if you prefer. I failed many times but it was worth all the flashing and testing. Once you have XMP of any kind on ram, boot windows on manual timings if thats all thats currently stable and open XTU this time looking at XTU on our Panther 5 actually shows the truth to my total shock. All the timings shown in XMP are offset and what will load in windows so they are lower on some of the timings than what you programmed on xmp in THB. So tommorow after work I will make a diagram for Panther 5 users so we can benefit from custom XMP profiles. both worked setting in the bios and in xtu with a restart. Now if you set XMP and it had a bad timing it will just sit there on black screen paused and finally reboot to be back on automatic timings again. Fix your timings basically again on that XMP. When it works it will blink the HD light once watch for it... instead of nothing and a reboot. You will see it reboot but the lcd stays powered but on a black screen unlike when the timing was wrong and proceed to boot normally on the new XMP timings. to suceed the timings had to be fixed which included the primary and secondary if your looking in Thaphoon burner left and right. The sticks per channel had to be set and the CR had to be set 2t I assumed was needed havent tested lower yet, so when you use a higher or lower mhz the CR value on the XMP will need to be adjusted from what another speed might have used to equal 2nansosecs even in the CR section. The voltage i used 1.65v on the top one and 1.5v on the bottom one in XMP CR section of Thaiphoon Burner. You have to check the box to enable xmp 1 or 2 in thaiphoon burner. I used 1 stick per channel in that same window for 4 sticks in quad channel in 4 slots. The diagram should help greatly show what loads when using automatic or xmp in the panther 5. has a lot of potential to be unlocked working around the ram issue of this system. I hope that gives a basic understanding of what is happening and I will post the values I have figured out tommorow, night :) work early. :) cheers. see my xmp profiles and see screenshots to see what I mean :) remember I believe this mobo can only use 255 tRFC as I havent seen it load higher as I tried to fix the timings. higher loads a lower value and therefore unbootable. 256 is 0 or 1 or so. 257 is about 1 or 2 etc you see where I am going ultimately programming 400+ didnt helps as it kept loading wrong values. Using 275 i forget what I programmed above tRFC gave me my 255/254 max I could get programmed. Hopefully find a way around that someday because almost got 2666mhz booting I think if it werent for that tRFC limit I ran into. got 2400 and 2133 stable under that even on stock timings beside tRFC so that is definitely progress and a good speed for sodimm. night buddy

@mw86 great job man! First AW18 2133, never enough...2400 MHz, once more...;) The M17xR4 is limited 1866 2x8GB or 2133 4x4GB, XMP 2000 2x8GB. XMP2/CL9 tight timings BCLK 100.3 - 100.7, XMP1/CL10 loose timings BCLK 101.0~101.7.

Between latest nv drivers <-> Frank Azor's early crippling tactics, mainly CPU TDP & RAM, ended w/ 4.3 GHz. Luckily I've got a plan...;)

- - - Updated - - -

Including MS...Physics 11191

Windows 10

SOvYokWh.png

GPU 13k NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

• Thumbs Up 1

@mw86 great job man! First AW18 2133 MMHz, never enough...2400 MHz, once more...;) The M17xR4 is limited 1866 2x8GB or 2133 4x4GB, XMP 2000 2x8GB. XMP2/CL9 tight timings BCLK 100.3 - 100.7, XMP1/CL10 loose timings BCLK 101.0~101.7.

Between latest nv drivers <-> Frank Azor's early crippling tactics, mainly CPU TDP & RAM, ended w/ 4.3 GHz. Luckily I've got a plan...;)

- - - Updated - - -

Including MS...Physics 11191

Windows 10

SOvYokWh.png

GPU 13k NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

Thanks so much J95 you and me made a lot of progress towards this goal few month ago then using 4gb sticks it was then possible :D So cool awesome setup J95!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, fixing CPU TDP is my next step, including soldering & BIOS modding. Whatever it takes, physics 11191 is unacceptable.

exactly Windows 10 is pretty cool I have been using tech preview since December. The physics issues really needs to be sorted. Perhaps there is too much cpu overhead in Windows 10 code. Good luck J95 I know you can do it buddy.

• Thumbs Up 1