P150SM - 780m Temps.

dquancey

Hi guys.

I've posted on NBR a few times but see here that you guys actively use vbios/bios mods and be able to offer advice that may fix my issues?

I have a P150SM with 780m, currently maxes at 93 degrees. This causes the GPU 2.0 boost to disable and revert back to stock clocks.

I'm also a little concerned that 93 degrees could have a detrimental affect on my card in the long run?

I've repasted with various different brands of TIM, but still no difference

Will a vbios or new bios fix this? How about changing thermal pads on the 780m/heatsink also?

Many thanks for any responses.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is your laptop on warranty? If so, try to contact your reseller or Sager directly and ask them to cross ship you the new HS while you send them yours. This is the HS problem, not the paste or pads! 780m on SM models peaks at 80C max during load, with fn+1 it should be around 72-75C.

Look at HTWingNut review at NBR forums, he was also able to OC 780m with no heat issues!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Let us know if problem is resolved! Good luck)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Just want to let you know that I've bought a new heatsink and seems to have dropped temps by at least 10 degrees.

Still early days, but looks promising!

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, glad to see you got your new temps sorted. Though I find it really bad taste that Sager's paste job is so bad that a simple repaste gives you a drop of almost 30 degrees celcius. That's just unforgivable, really. But why did he need to buy a new heatsink if he had an SM series from the start?

My gt60 2OD w/ 780M tops too @93° C in some games , i Use cooler boost 2 to keep my card cool, but I think that since it's a rebranded 680M with an overclock and with the GPU boost 2.0 it's no surprise. But I think that GPU boost autodeactivates when the card reaches temps near 80° C