Y580 full wipe - why not?

IBJamon

I see a lot of threads (here and elsewhere) talking about the Y580, and modifying partitions, etc. instead of just doing a full wipe. I understand that a full wipe (or in my case, a new HDD coming) may lose OKR, but other than that, is there a downside I am not aware of by doing the full wipe? I assume getting to the BIOS from the OKR key will still work, right? I have a Windows 8 version of the Y580, with the 8.01 BIOS. I have already backed up to my network drive the full install + driver partition. I also made a clonezilla of my current drive, so I know I can experiment, but it's time consuming, so if the collective wisdom could point me in the right direction, that would be great. :)

Also, is there a way to transfer the PowerDVD to the new fresh install? That's probably the only software that I care about on the factory image. I have always had split partition schemes, with a smaller Windows install + Linux dual boot + a larger data drive for games, etc. Is there a good reason not to do this?

Thanks,

IBJamon

It's fine, first thing I did when I got my Y500 was do a clean install of Windows 8 Pro. Just make sure you have all the necessary drivers ready on an external drive beforehand. OKR is worthless for me anyway because I want nothing to do with the horribly bloated factory image. Yuck.

As for PowerDVD, there's no way to transfer it to a clean install because it is an OEM license tied to the factory image. VLC and MPC-HC are way better anyway.

Thanks. I hope to get my new hard drive today, so fresh install is a-comin'. :) The only/main reason I want powerDVD is that Blu-Ray support is flaky at best with VLC - yes it can play the main title most of the time, but I'm one of those weirdos that like special features, menus and stuff. ;) But if there is no way, then it is what it is.

Thanks a bunch! Does anyone here dual-boot with Linux? Do you recommend sticking with UEFI, or should I just do it the easy way and enable legacy mode?

IBJamon

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I looked at Splashpro. While I'm sure it's a nice player, it doesn't seem to support Blu-Ray disks. That's the main reason I would want a player - VLC meets most of my needs otherwise. I tend to buy or rent/stream most of my movies, though I do consider format shifting a right that I will utilize from time to time. :)

But the PC Blu-Ray player rat race is one that aggravates me more than a little... buy a new version because the maker thinks that they can sucker you out of more money for an 'upgrade', and if you don't new movies stop working? That makes me sick. If there was full-featured Blu-Ray software that was reasonably priced, and was buy once, I'd think about it. But as it is now, I'll take what I can get...

IBJamon

I see. So I'm assuming your Y580 came with a BD drive? In that case, you need a paid player like WinDVD or PowerDVD in order to play back protected discs since there's no such thing as a free media player that can do this. Unfortunately, if you do a clean install there's no way you'd be able to keep the preinstalled copy of PowerDVD since it is tied to the factory image. Maybe you can try researching for a low-cost Blu-ray media player the doesn't have the draconian upgrade policies of something like PowerDVD? When I fiddled around with the PowerDVD on my Y500 before wiping it I found out that it was an outdated version that didn't even support Blu-ray playback on Windows 8, which is absolutely absurd. I gave up on PC Blu-ray playback years ago because of all the hassle and complexities with things like this. It's much easier to just pop in the disc into a set-top player and watch it on the home theater system.

Yeah... you have a point. That's pretty much what I have been doing for now, but I was hoping someone else found a way. ;) But the included Blu-Ray software can play Wreck-it-Ralph, which is pretty current, so I'm not sure what to say there... but it seems okay, at least for now. Oh well. I may try to finagle it to see if I can come up with something.

IBJamon