GTX 680m Throttling

paladinjake

Forum,

I am using a svl7 modified bios with default voltage. The temperatures reach 90c and the gpu reduces its clock rate then increases it again until the temperature reaches 90c this cycle takes less than one minute and repeats during use. How can this issue be resolved?

90°C is way too much for a 680m, not even in my M15x I reached such high temps. Clevo seems to have some issues with their heatsink design, make sure that the heatsink sits fine and applies enough pressure on the GPU dies, 90°C sounds almost as if some modding is required. @Khenglish once mentioned that his heatsink wasn't completely level... which could also be a serious issue when it comes to temps. Or maybe there's a huge gap between cooling fins and fan... you'll need to take a closer look at this to find the cause of those temps.

90°C is way too much for a 680m, not even in my M15x I reached such high temps. Clevo seems to have some issues with their heatsink design, make sure that the heatsink sits fine and applies enough pressure on the GPU dies, 90°C sounds almost as if some modding is required. @Khenglish once mentioned that his heatsink wasn't completely level... which could also be a serious issue when it comes to temps. Or maybe there's a huge gap between cooling fins and fan... you'll need to take a closer look at this to find the cause of those temps.

Hey svl7, thanks for all your hard work.

I was using your modified VBIOS with default voltage and was able to get some good results.

I just now reflashed using the 1050v version. For some reason my voltage is still greyed out when using Precision X or NVIDIA Inspector.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey svl7, thanks for all your hard work.

I was using your modified VBIOS with default voltage and was able to get some good results.

I just now reflashed using the 1050v version. For some reason my voltage is still greyed out when using Precision X or NVIDIA Inspector.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Voltage is fixed on the mobile vBs Mods, so 3D Turbo voltage will always be @ 1.050v. :)

Voltage is fixed on the mobile vBs Mods, so 3D Turbo voltage will always be @ 1.050v. :)

Thanks, Prema. I noticed it OV'ed at higher clocks!

I'm now having issues with performance, which is very strange. My temp doesn't exceed 78c but the card isn't performing well even at 1050mhz/2400mhz vs. the 980mhz/2400mhz i was at without OV.

While playing BF3, I have no issues. When I benchmark 3DMark11, my scores drop from 12.5k to 11.9k.

Thanks, Prema. I noticed it OV'ed at higher clocks!

I'm now having issues with performance, which is very strange. My temp doesn't exceed 78c but the card isn't performing well even at 1050mhz/2400mhz vs. the 980mhz/2400mhz i was at without OV.

While playing BF3, I have no issues. When I benchmark 3DMark11, my scores drop from 12.5k to 11.9k.

Most likely your secondary (slave) card is getting too hot and throttling hence the lower score!!

• 10 months later...
Most likely your secondary (slave) card is getting too hot and throttling hence the lower score!!

I got the same issue, however I haven't got over 90c in my 2nd card....don't know why