Bifnewman's M17x-R2

Guest bifnewman

Well I wasn't sure what your preference was but yeah if you like the M18x and they are out of stock it may be a long endeavor but well worth it! If your willing to deal with hours on the phone push for one for sure.

Guest bifnewman

Well I like the M18x because its similar to the M17x R2 and while the RGB screen seems nice, I haven't really had a screen that's nice, and since Dell only seems to be using them in their Precision and XPS line-ups, my only choices are to either drop Alienware and go with an XPS or M6600 or just not get the RGB so I never get used to the good screen. Also, Brian says the screen isn't so bad so its probably better than the CCFL I would have on this one. And ofcourse there is the 6970's, sandy bridge and integrated graphics... Great machine. The M17x is also great so TBH it doesn't matter much but if I had to choose, i would pick the M18x.

bifnewman,

RGB LED screen has, as the name suggests, LED backlighting and therefore doesn't use inverter board that is found with CCFL backlit screens. See: CCFL inverter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . On the other hand from what I understand (don't exactly quote me on this): LED backlit screens have a LED board, which supplies less voltage because it's driving LEDs vs discharge in gas tubes. The cable for connecting each of these boards can be different, too. I'm not sure how exactly sure how is this made on M17x (I was doing a replacement like that on one Thinkpad; I was just going from LED to CCFL). Typically, the difference will be that on inverter you'll see a small transformer (a small fat coil) while the LED board won't have one.

Put out some pics. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest bifnewman
bifnewman,

RGB LED screen has, as the name suggests, LED backlighting and therefore doesn't use inverter board that is found with CCFL backlit screens. See: CCFL inverter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . On the other hand from what I understand (don't exactly quote me on this): LED backlit screens have a LED board, which supplies less voltage because it's driving LEDs vs discharge in gas tubes. The cable for connecting each of these boards can be different, too. I'm not sure how exactly sure how is this made on M17x (I was doing a replacement like that on one Thinkpad; I was just going from LED to CCFL). Typically, the difference will be that on inverter you'll see a small transformer (a small fat coil) while the LED board won't have one.

Put out some pics. :)

Thanks,

NEW Alienware M17x Camera Cable and LED Board 17WVX | eBay

I think that is all I need. There is bad news though. I noticed that repair guy took my old parts. I'd hate to crack the screen again on opening it so what should I do?

I think the best way to get around that would be to buy this and resell the LCD if I don't break it.

Alienware m17x LCD kit G516T 17" WXGA+ webcam &inverter | eBay

Unless someone has a better idea or a way for me to grab an extra top lid enclosure. Also, I have a dog who sheds a lot of hair. What would be the best way of keeping the hair out of the enclosure before I put the panel in? Any precautions I should take?

EDIT:

I actually tested the RGB screen in my M17x and I think it blew the M17x's motherboard. Could I have damaged the RGB screen?

Edited by bifnewman

• Founder

Were the pins not matched up that caused the motherboard failure? I doubt the panel died but if you are going to resell it, just offer a 7 day money back guarantee on it. Have you looked into Dell Laptops | Dell Laptop Parts | Dell Laptop Repair | Dell Repair to see if they have the front panel? If not, then yeah, eBay is the way to go with purchasing a full panel and taking it out to use the shell.

Guest bifnewman

Well I'll have to wait anyways. I shipped my laptop to the Dell Repair Depot to see what they say. If they can't fix it for some reason, should I take a refund or push for M18x? I'm not sure if I really need dual cards but I'd like having them. I could get a fully loaded P150HM with 485M and a 2920XM. I wasn't aware that Clevo sold 15 inch-ers with 485's or 6970's... Tell me what you guys think about a replacement if they can't fix this one. Has anyone heard anything bad about the P150HM?

EDIT:

I'm loving the M18x... it looks so nice. someone said the screen looks great after calibration. i am also interested to see the rumored clevo p180hm(x8100 refresh) that is supposed to come out soon. i wonder if they add backlight keyboards and change the glossy surface. they really need a full keyboard too. these are where clevo never delivers though and it is what people have been asking for awhile now... ill be surprised if they change it up though. the m18x looks especially promising due to its overclocking ability, cheap 6970's, and chassis design (although ive heard complaints about the inside of the chassis, the outside seems just as good, if not better, than the m17x-r2)... what should i get if dell fails to fix my laptop? i want to plan this ahead of time because i want to know what i want to say if the guy calls tomorrow...

Edited by bifnewman

Guest bifnewman
Were the pins not matched up that caused the motherboard failure? I doubt the panel died but if you are going to resell it, just offer a 7 day money back guarantee on it. Have you looked into Dell Laptops | Dell Laptop Parts | Dell Laptop Repair | Dell Repair to see if they have the front panel? If not, then yeah, eBay is the way to go with purchasing a full panel and taking it out to use the shell.

No, without knowing, i used the ccfl inverter board with the LED screen. Hopefully no damage was done to the monitor. They don't have the enclosure so the best thing to do would probably be to get an entire screen but I will wait to see what the Dell Repair Depot says about my laptop. I shipped it yesterday but I'm not sure when it will get there. I sent it with the normal FedEx label.

I hope you find resolution to your repair. If you want the M18x then push for it. It don't hurt to try. If your unsure from what you have heard... wait to see what is too come of tech this year. 8months from now or sooner ivy bridge comes out...

Guest bifnewman
I hope you find resolution to your repair. If you want the M18x then push for it. It don't hurt to try. If your unsure from what you have heard... wait to see what is too come of tech this year. 8months from now or sooner ivy bridge comes out...

from what i heard, ivy bridge will use the same socket and will work in sandy bridge laptops, is this right?

when i shipped the laptop out, i didn't get a receipt. how can i check its status? i have a dell dispatch number...

• Founder

When you shipped it out, you should have had a tracking number for it. Best way to keep track is keep that dispatch number handy and get in touch with a Dell Resolution Expert that can help you track your case.

Guest bifnewman
When you shipped it out, you should have had a tracking number for it. Best way to keep track is keep that dispatch number handy and get in touch with a Dell Resolution Expert that can help you track your case.

It was probably on the label I shipped it out with... I probably should have copied that down. I am getting worried, what happens if they lose my laptop? I checked the dispatch # on Dell.com and it just shows the shipment of the box with overnight express fedex shipping. I shipped it out last Friday and have recieved no feedback since. I even emailed the dell guy like 2 days ago and he never responded.

Guest bifnewman
I forgot to copy that number down too, when I sent in my M11x. I wouldn't worry about it, though.

Well, shouldn't it be there by now? Would I get confirmation of a shipment that would send the laptop back? I am calling the Dell guy now...

Guest bifnewman

my laptop arrived last friday. i am so mad. i called dell to check the status of my service and i was hung up on 2 times, both within about 3 seconds. i will never buy another dell/alienware again... thanks dell. i want a fucking refund.

EDIT: i know i said that in the heat of the moment, but it still feels like i mean it...

I feel your pain Bifnewman, I really do as I've been trying to get my system replacement since a dell contracted repair tech broke more parts in the M17x R2 I had. Just like you this is the last computer I get associated with DEll... its their customer service that is so bad.

Guest bifnewman

Ok. My laptop arrived today, unexpected but I'm happy. That was, until it died. Yep, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is dead after about an hour of cummulative use and numerous random shutdowns. It won't even power on. It literally turned off after running for the first like 5 or 10mins. Once again, fuck Dell. With a simple stability test, they would have been able to notice stability issues. What do I do now? Can someone PM me an email for a good Dell rep? I don't want to go another 2 and a half weeks without my laptop for it not to work again. I'd much rather get a refund.

Guest bifnewman

I just called Dell. They asked me to try a power cycle, removing the cmos, powering w/ only ac adapter (no battery), powering w/ only battery (no ac adapter). They are sending me a refurbished M17x R2. How should I feel about this?

I would be upset but if you are happy with R2 then maybe this one will be better than the one you have now. But I would be saying it must be a common thing with the R2 and you want a refund... that they are just trying to send you a refurbished product that will just exhibit the same symptoms... since you'd prefer a refund. 2.5 weeks... sucks... my systems going to be 2months MIA on June 19th. I'm very fed up with Dell altogether and would be just as mad if I were you.

Guest bifnewman

I checked the Dell Outlet website and they seem to be out of M17x R2 refurbs. I'm assuming they are out of M17x R2's to replace mine then right?

EDIT: nvm. i had to check m17x r2. they still don't have one with the 620m + dual 5870s. i will try and push for a refund. don't get me wrong, i like my M17x but this is the first experience I've had with Dell's support and it was awful. I'm not sure I want to deal with this. Especially the turn around times.

Edited by bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

Alright... my M17x turns on again but if I move it then it turns off. I'm running the modded BIOS, should I flash back to the normal one? Could anyone help identify the problem. If the laptop is absolutely stationary, then it runs fine.

Guest bifnewman

It could be one of HDs. I tested it with no hard drives and it still turned off after picking the machine up. So we know its more than just an HD.

EDIT: Dell told me my battery was faulty and sent another one with the M17x as it was returned. They were right. After I put in the new battery, the laptop doesn't shut off. It doesn't have any HD's in. I'll try and put in the HDs.

UPDATE 1: It doesn't shut off with my 250GB HD. I'll try my 320GB HD.

Update 2: Its working much better. So it was just the battery.

Edited by bifnewman