Rapid Storage Technology on Y580/Y500, how?

Quantispeed

Hello!

I'd like to install a small, inexpensive SSD as a cache for stock 1TB HD of my Y580. The problem is that I can't put together all the information in order to understand how to set it up.

Facts:

- HM76 supports RST (info via Intel ARK), but

- RST needs RAID mode activated in BIOS, which

- default Y580 doesn't have, but

- some versions of Y580 are sold with small SSDs for caching purposes.

Conclusion: caching is supported, but using strange configuration, such as software RAID.

Thoughts:

- If RST is supported by hardware, why Smart Response Technology isn't ?

- What is Lenovo RapidDrive ?

- What is ExpressCache ?

- If caching is configured in some stock Y580s, how it behaves in Linux or multiboot scenario? (if supported)

Can anyone provide a comprehensive guide ? It's would be nice to clarify this questions once and for all...

Thank you very much !

Hello!

I'd like to install a small, inexpensive SSD as a cache for stock 1TB HD of my Y580. The problem is that I can't put together all the information in order to understand how to set it up.

Facts:

- HM76 supports RST (info via Intel ARK), but

- RST needs RAID mode activated in BIOS, which

- default Y580 doesn't have, but

- some versions of Y580 are sold with small SSDs for caching purposes.

Conclusion: caching is supported, but using strange configuration, such as software RAID.

Thoughts:

- If RST is supported by hardware, why Smart Response Technology isn't ?

- What is Lenovo RapidDrive ?

- What is ExpressCache ?

- If caching is configured in some stock Y580s, how it behaves in Linux or multiboot scenario? (if supported)

Can anyone provide a comprehensive guide ? It's would be nice to clarify this questions once and for all...

Thank you very much !

That is true. HM76 does not support RAID or Intel Smart Response Technology, only HM77 does.

I don't know what the situation is like for the Y580, but for the Y500 configurations that come with the 16GB SSD cache, they bundle third-party caching software with the machine. I believe that for the Y500 the included SSD is a SanDisk one, so the bundled software is a SanDisk-licensed version of Condusive Technologies' ExpressCache software.

The Intel Rapid Storage does not work on the Y500, as the Y500 does not support RAID setup from the BIOs.

In order to use the mSATA caching, you need to use Expresscache provided on the Lenovo site.

See here for instructions I used installing my 32gb Samsung mSATA

Y500 - How do I tell if automatic SSD cache is wor... - Lenovo Community

The Intel Rapid Storage does not work on the Y500, as the Y500 does not support RAID setup from the BIOs.

In order to use the mSATA caching, you need to use Expresscache provided on the Lenovo site.

See here for instructions I used installing my 32gb Samsung mSATA

Y500 - How do I tell if automatic SSD cache is wor... - Lenovo Community

That's not entirely correct, Intel Rapid Storage Technology does work for the Y500, and pretty much all systems from the last few years. It simply installs the latest AHCI/RAID controller driver for your Intel chipset motherboard as well as a tray application that gives some general diagnostics for your connected drives. While it's obviously required for RAID functionality, most people who are using AHCI install it as well because it is the most up-to-date AHCI driver and should give you better performance than the generic Windows one.

I tried the Intel Rapid Storage before I modified my BIOs without any luck. If it is only limited by the BIOs, then would it work correctly now with the modded 2.02? Is it better than using Expresscache?

I tried the Intel Rapid Storage before I modified my BIOs without any luck. If it is only limited by the BIOs, then would it work correctly now with the modded 2.02? Is it better than using Expresscache?

I think you're a little confused about what Rapid Storage Technology is. It is just another name for Intel's own AHCI/RAID controller drivers. It's required for RAID to work but not if you're using AHCI, although most AHCI users install it as well.

It is NOT used for SSD caching. That would be Intel Smart Response Technology for RAID-enabled chipsets or third-party caching software such as Condusive Technologies' ExpressCache for those who don't have RAID.

I think you're a little confused about what Rapid Storage Technology is. It is just another name for Intel's own AHCI/RAID controller drivers. It's required for RAID to work but not if you're using AHCI, although most AHCI users install it as well.

It is NOT used for SSD caching. That would be Intel Smart Response Technology for RAID-enabled chipsets or third-party caching software such as Condusive Technologies' ExpressCache for those who don't have RAID.

Gotcha! I got the two backwards then, pardon me!