Problems With GT 60 0NE

CACV

I am new to the forum, I would greet them and tell them my problem,

Less than a month ago I bought a GT60 ONE

The first thing I did was install Windows 8, everything perfect up there,

After testing a game (Crysis), in less than 30 seconds, the game gets stuck and you hear a repeating sound of the game that was stalled,

Pretty scared, push the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off,

After turning on the notebook, I realize that turns off and on suddenly, after reboot, I get no NVIDIA hardware is detected, quite worried I check "Task Manager" and can not find the hardware GTX680M, I started think that may have caused the problem, just install the windows 8 and the latest drivers from nvidia, without touching bios or overclock,

After a few days, I decided to send for another GTX 680 video card, because in my country is very difficult to re send the machine to USA, (I'm from Paraguay)

When I get the new VGA, install it and made sure it has good thermal paste,

I've tried it and noticed that everything works excellent, even went so for one week, but then my nightmare began again, after a week was by testing some games and the last to be me was Alan Wake, was testing the FPS of the game, I went to get a cup of coffee, and when i returned, I hear the same noise when my first VGA stuck with the game, I worry too much and try to restart windows without touching the button off, the windows work, ctrl + alt + del worked perfectly, but did not respond to any of my commands to restart, shutdown or simply close the game, then turn it off as I did the last time, for 5 seconds pushing the power button,

Then when restarting the notebook, agains turns off and on ny itself, after reboot i see no NVIDIA hardware installed, and in "Task Manager" I find that even is connected (same that 1rs time) ,

It has burned me two GTX 680M this notebook, I honestly do not know if I can be doing something wrong, I like the style that has the nb and do not want to sell it and that my purchase was in bathroom,

I wonder if you could help me decipher what the problem is, if the notebook is performing some short in the VGA or the charger itself can be a problem (use a charger that I got in the purchase, I think is not original) ,

What I noticed was that if I remove the heatsink and VGA uncovered while it is on, the machine turns itself off at a certain temperature, so enrealidad VGA detected or not Drew,

I forgot to mention that when I stopped detecting the VGA on both occasions, the FAN works 100% forever, and is a bit annoying to use with the HD 4000 and the fan 100%

Hope you can help me,

The Characteristics are

MSI GT60 0ne-220US 15.6 "i7 3720QM 3.6GHz NVD GTX 680M 750GB HDD 16GB

I bought it from amazon, and processor are better plus 4gb ramm HIDevolution were installed, the machine is new but retouched by them for the upgrade

what I noticed was that the battery charger they gave me, is Delta Electronics Inc

S / N H06W27C008E

INPUT 100 240V

Output 19V - 9.5A, (don't now it is original)

I wonder if I have a solution I will venture to buy another gtx 680m and a new battery charger if it is causing a short circuit with VGA,

Thank you for reading my problem! :) (and for my bad english, im spanish native)

Course yes, will take some pictures to show you, the 2 cards, and yes, i buy another 680M, this one take one week to be burned too, but im too confused, because could be the power supply or the nb, thanks for the answer, temperatures are about 71 to 92 with heavy games, and the first 680M stay alive 1 day without OC dies, the second 1 week and a average oc, +135 core, + 500mem.-

Hi @CACV,

It's strange two cards in row hmm...your notebook is equipped with anti Short-circuit feature which you prevent to even power on your notebook if is something wrong with dedicated GFX, but you have CPU with integrated GFX so It's pretty normal that after restart is automatically switched to iGFX and you cannot find your bicked nVidia GFX in "Device Manager".

To me your problem seems as lack of good thermal contact between VGA heatsink module and rest parts of VGA card (Other than VGA chip or memory chips).

While checking new / upgrade card keep in mind that main VGA Chip temperature is not as critical as temperature of Voltage Regulator MOSFETs and Chokes.

These small components on High-end VGA card are very hot under moderate / high GPU load.

For example stable working Fermi / Kepler mxm card with properly applied thermal grease at GPU chip and precise installed thermal pads on VRs / Chokes easily hit 115~120 degrees Celsius at VR's, while theirs "working" temp max. is cca 150 degrees Celsius.

So impropery inserted heatsink and/or lack of good thermal contact with VR's / Chokes can seriously brick one or more of VR's and will generate Short-circuit to MXM connector or burn main VGA chip if internal VR Controller misses switch off main power lane sufficiently fast to prevent additional VGA card / mainboard damage...

Which is bad is that fact as you will need at least mini Infrared Thermometer Gun to monitor or diagnose your VGA card / components under normal notebook usage with disassembled bottom cover.

Hope this help you to investigate what may be wrong and prevent possible problems with next card. Anyway please post your VGA photos in some high quality macro mode and we will see whats wrong...

• 2 months later...

i have this guy's exact issue. Except mine took a month and a half to burn out. I sent it for Rma, got it back 3 weeks later and it froze the same way after playing crysis 3 for about 3 hours.. (they said they replaced the video card but most likely just put thermal grease and reseated it) so same issue it froze with sound repeating. So i turned it off and back on and weird character were showing all over the screen this time. I turned it off and back on again and it booted with the intel graphics, but no nvidia card detected anymore. So I had to ship it back again. I would really have preferred if they just sent me the video card like they did for this guy, as I use this for work too, but they said I had to send the laptop again. I have the 403us 680m version. I've lost all confidence in this laptop and I hope to sell it soon and cut my losses. I just got it back again today, playing crysis 3 and temperatures hit 93 degrees without turbo fan on. I put some IC Diamond and its helping a bit, (about 4 degree temperature difference) but I am still have fears after reading original posters comment. In general it is amazing when it works..

does anyone else have trouble with newer games like crysis 3 and tombraider hitting 90-93 degrees on gpu? I'd prefer to not have to turn on the loud turbo fan to play a game.