1 month old r2 broken..

m15chief

Beginning to wish id never bothered coming back to alienware..

I had to contact tech support within the first week as my laptop kept shutting down & wouldnt recognise the nvidia gpu.. much ado and eventually after threatening to return it i was given the unreleased a10 bios. Which seemed to work.

Now after the holidays im spending more time with my new laptop & find that the random shutdowns are continuing. Onoy this time on a reboot (which only works on AC) i get the message that the battery has been disabled until the temperature returns to normal??? Sensor logs show nothing going above 50c so im at a complete loss..

Honest opinions here guys as you are all m14 owners too.. should i cut my losses and demand to return for a full refund or should i stick it out? Apparently an engineer appointment is being arranged to replace the mainboard & battery..

:banghead:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Founder

That's not normal behavior and unfortunately some units are defective. However, I wouldn't take that as a reflection of Alienware quality or write them off because of it. Remember these systems are mass produced and faults will occur and unfortunately you got stuck with a problematic system. Rather than playing a game of "replace the parts" with Dell, you might be better served to return it for a refund and then purchase another M14x or an entirely different brand.

Thanks for the replies gents, appreciate you taking the time. I've now been told that replacement parts are out of stock.. Reaching out to CS to see if they will offer anything at all by way of recompense as a final olive branch and if not I may just have to bite the bullet and send this back. Such a shame, I love it, just wish it was functional.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that man. I also have had some strange problems from the get go, one being the Killer Wireless Network card seemingly losing connection and upon attempting a reconnect having windows 8 crash. In the end I had to fresh install windows 7 to get things back up and working again. I hope it works out for you.

If the parts are out of stock get them to replace it with a new unit. They'll normally just give you a brand new unit if yours isn't very old and they're out of parts.

I haven't had any issues with my m14x R2, which is good because I probably would have given up and bought a Mac if I had problems with it after all the issues I had with my XPS L521x and the 2 replacement units with the same problems.

Well, Finally got the mb and battery replaced & repasted with 24ct IC diamond while it was done. All working well & after a lot of complaining and threats to send it back for a refund AW did the right thing and gave me an extra year on my warranty :-)

• Founder
Well, Finally got the mb and battery replaced & repasted with 24ct IC diamond while it was done. All working well & after a lot of complaining and threats to send it back for a refund AW did the right thing and gave me an extra year on my warranty :-)

Glad it's all sorted out.

Shouldn't have happened in the first place but at least it's all good now.

Ok, 3rd board, 3rd battery & the shocking use of a flathead screwdriver to not only remove the old paste from the old gpu but to smear it onto the new GPU!! Not only that the tech failed to reconnect my touchpad, dvd drive & got paste all over my dining table again..

I wasnt bothered i onew the replacements wouodnt work anyway & i damn well knew i wouodnt be keeping this laptop.

Sure enough after he had cobbled it back together, figured out the beeps were because he hadnt connected the cmos battery i showed him again how i can recreate the fault on command.

The engineer called in to say the entire machine needs replacing, which with any luck should be next week. If i can recreate the problem with that one i'll know for certain its a manufacturing flaw & if not.. at least i'll have a brand new laprop again and i can try and put this nightmare month behind me..

Incidentally i purchased some new domain names of the alienware variety.. just deciding what to do with them ;-)