Help overclocking the Intel 3940xm safely in the Clevo P370EM

curvingedge

• Founder
What is the best way to overclock the Intel 3940xm Extreme processor? I have looked at Intel Extreme Tuner, but don't really know what all the settings mean.

@Clevorr can probably help you with that.

Sent from my GT-N7000

What is the best way to overclock the Intel 3940xm Extreme processor? I have looked at Intel Extreme Tuner, but don't really know what all the settings mean.

Yeah i will be running the same CPU in my new M18x but i am very new to overclocking mobile chips, iv always used desktops in which all the settings are in the bios plus better cooling potential. I am in the same boat as far as doing this unfortunately, all i could manage on the Clevo was 4.2ghz which gave a decent physics score of 10.3k but it would have a ton more in it. I used Intel extreme tuning utility but there is no voltage control there i think because the Clevo bios is very basic and locked so was running out of volts at 4.2ghz.. They pretty easy to overclock i would imagine being the latest Extreme Chip. Just a matter of upping the multiplier and volts along with the current limits and just keep temps in check.. I will do some testing when im fully up and running in the m18x.

@Clevorr I am very interested in your success overclocking the 3940xm when you get it. If you don't mind keep me updated. I'm going to mess around in Intel Extreme Tuner and see what I can do.

Yeah @curvingedge will do. Hopefully im going to unlock the bios and have all the settings available to me so that should make it easier. Yeh, have a go with intel XTU, you should be able to get 4.2-4.3ghz without to much adjusting which is pretty fast and big jump in 3dmark score etc.. problem is runs out of volts at around that which is at around a mediocre 1.2#v or so and i don't see a way to adjust it with the Clevo.

EDIT: Actually, with intel XTU you can increase the "additional turbo voltage" and that in turn will increase your vcore under load so try that but be careful, watch temps because they rise pretty fast, Clevo cooling fans are hopeless and never ramp up to 100% so i cannot go with much of an increase in volts with the P370EM.. :( And you also can increase turbo boost power and short term to 99W.. ;)

The voltage wall is annoying but seems workable with an unlocked BIOS, do you think you will be able to pull more from unlocking it Clevorr? Would the fan limit be able to be raised this way also?

@30htz Don't need to unlock bios. With Intel XTU you can up the voltage high enough that you will require better cooling before you run out of volts.. NO, you cannot up the fans at all, only way would be to acquire the older version Sager bios and flash it but i dunno how good it would be. I went' Alienware instead and i am about to start testing the CPU and playing with all the settings, just been busy... ;)

@30htz Don't need to unlock bios. With Intel XTU you can up the voltage high enough that you will require better cooling before you run out of volts.. NO, you cannot up the fans at all, only way would be to acquire the older version Sager bios and flash it but i dunno how good it would be. I went' Alienware instead and i am about to start testing the CPU and playing with all the settings, just been busy... ;)

Can hardly wait for this. So far, it's very very hard to find people who have fully explored this chip. I may have to grab me one pretty soon just to see what it's capable of.

That and to get my memory to run at 2133 and higher and pcie 3.0.

Can hardly wait for this. So far, it's very very hard to find people who have fully explored this chip. I may have to grab me one pretty soon just to see what it's capable of.

That and to get my memory to run at 2133 and higher and pcie 3.0.

haha talking about high achievements :P the 3940xm is a beast... a beast versus your 2960XM

• 5 weeks later...

@Clevorr I was fiddling a little with Intel XTU and it looks like I'm getting better scores if I LOWER core current limit. (from 112.000A to 73.000A) This had the biggest influence on my CPU performance. I also upped Turbo Boost Power Max to 60W and Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 77W. This way I've gained ~10 secs in wPrime 1024M test and ~1500 points in vantage.

When I tried Additional Turbo Voltage, it actually slowed my CPU down a bit.

Oh btw, my cpu is i7 3840qm.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, clevorr, I'm totally new to overlocking and I'm also trying to overlock my 3940xm with XTU, haven't unlocked my bios yet. Are there any recomemended settings in XTU to oc the core to run stable at 4.6ghz or may be 4.4 if that's not possible.