Any open source tools from dell?

corp769

Hey dell, corp here. Just wondering if you guys have any open-source tools or utilities that you use, yet we wouldn't know about. Not sure if this should be here, but I have the M14x. Also, linux user here, so as well.... Any "official" linux support from Dell yet?

Cheers,

o/

Josh

I think it's not just Dell, it's difficult to get drivers and support from other manufacturers too, like Lenovo. I tried using Ubuntu or Mint on my Thinkpad X200T and had so much difficulty getting all the drivers to work (most or all of them being unofficial) and some things I never managed to work properly, like switching from laptop to tablet mode and some features of the tablet functionality. I eventually gave up and went back to Windows.

I'm hoping that Linux gets more love once Steam releases their Linux client, which Valve is pushing at least in part due to the new Microsoft's policies about app development in Windows 8. So there may be some really good things coming up due to "appleization" of Windows. I live for the day when we'll ditch the Windows all together and work equally well on Linux. After I've seen Win8 this day may come sooner than I expected. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...