Hello, I'm new to this forum, I'm about to upgrade my m15x GPU...

oldknuckle

Maybe a I7-2960XM cpu, it's the best one you can get for your system. And a 7970m would be a nice upgrade.

svl7 have written a nice guide on the 7970m here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/1731-[guide]-m15x-amd-7970m.html

The 2960XM is a sandy bridge gpu and will not work on the m15x. Best CPU upgrades would be a 920XM or 940XM processor. 920XM aren't too expensive on ebay. Both can be overclocked easily.

As for GPU upgrade, best options are a 7970m or 680m. 7970m is more typically to upgrade to and is much cheaper than the 680m.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi oldknuckle,

There's two versions of the m15x. One is c2d based and the other is core i based. I'd imagine you have the newer one from 2009-2010 but let's make sure!

What is your current cpu and gpu?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sound good, CPU is straight forward done it before, but the GPU is a new one for me, if I get a bare-bone 7970m anything I should look for to modify the heatsink to work with it? I have the GT240 currently, how about the power do I need to buy the 250watts power supply as well???

thanks again

You won't need to upgrade the power supply, doing so will put less strain on the powersupply.

Mainly differences in the backplate and X-brackets for graphics cards. If the barebone card comes with a x-bracket you're good otherwise buy 1. Dell you'll need to grind down and for Clevo, well, you'll need to get new screws to fit.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Wish I had read this thread before upgrading my GPU.

I have just upgraded my old nVIDIA 260m to the 660m from Eurocom.

I wasn't sure if I was given a Clevo card or a Dell card, but on this thread I saw that the X-bracket tells you which version you have is that correct?

Eurocom sent me out a new set of smaller screws and a copper shim, so am I correct to think that I have the Clevo card?

(I ask because I have problems with the laptop internal display. Only external VGA is working)

Wish I had bought the ATi card now!!