M18x R2 and 680M SLI Fan Profiles

NiNoDuKEz

Is there any way to change the fan profiles for CPU and GPU fans without using a software utility like HWINFO.

as far as i know the Compal EC controls Fan speed based on temps but i've noticed that during gaming, benchmarking or stress testing the following happens.

GPU 0 (primary) usually sits at idle (fan off) until around 58-61C at which it kicks on to around 1800rpm, and as temps increase at around 69-71 it will ramp up to about 3500-3600rpm and hold steady at that rpm

GPU 1 (secondary) Exhibits the same behavior as the GPU 0 until we reach 69-71c and which point its RPM's only get up to around 2800rpm and doesn't increase RPM, very rarely will it jump up over 2800rpm

so during gaming GPU 1 (secondary) was in most cases 9-11c warmer, and if i used hwinfo and set the fans manually to 3600rpm, the GPU's were within 1-3c of eachother in every game/benchmark/stress test.

So bottom line, is there a way to configure the machine so i dont have to use any type of software.

Thanks in advance!

• Founder

Nope, the only way is to change the EC profile and currently I don't think anyone has figured out a way. @Mumak is the expert on this and would know more but I'd guess he'd tell you the same. But with HWiNFO, it should just be a matter of setting up your profile and then tossing it in your startup folder and/or scheduler to run automatically so you don't have to worry about it.

I cannot read the temp of Memory module or VRM so i just tend to think if the CPU is running warm i can only imagine what the VRM's are doing, so i tend to just keep my fans pretty robust, since honestly at 3600rpm with headphones on or a game with low volume mutes out the fans completely.

I cannot read the temp of Memory module or VRM so i just tend to think if the CPU is running warm i can only imagine what the VRM's are doing, so i tend to just keep my fans pretty robust, since honestly at 3600rpm with headphones on or a game with low volume mutes out the fans completely.

I always prefer the same thing very preemptive fan profile so temps dont build up... Its easier to maintain a temp then try to wick the heat away once it already has had a chance to build in the heatsink. I have my fans set to stock control right now but when i was gaming I set them on high too. I like and prefer to use HWiNFO+Windows Task Scheduler to launch HWiNFO with fans launched automatically set to full. I just set full rpm in the Fan table, setting temps that are often reached is good for setting them on max too this way you know as soon as you are gaming they are staying cool.