4 drives, 2 RAID0 volumes. Theoretically possible?

widezu69

So over at NBR I asked a question about the optical bay and what speed it was and apparently it is SATA II, same as the mSATA slot. So that got me thinking, it is possible to have two RAID volumes? RAID the standard SATA III ports with two SSDs and then grab 2 mSATA SSDs, put one in the mSATA slot and the other in a ODD caddy (with adapter of course) and RAID those?

The end result would be something like:

2x 256GB SATA III SSDs speeds ~ 800-900MB/s as one 512GB volume

2x 256GB SATA II mSATA speeds ~ 400-600MB/s as one 512GB volume

Although not the largest possible SSD combination (applying this theory can actually net one a total of 1.5TB of SSD storage) but definitely the most performance (256 and 240GB SSDs still have much more IOPS IOPS compared to their 512GB counterparts).

So is this feasible? I just may try it. The time has come for The Beaver to once more attempt to assemble the most powerful single GPU laptop money can buy. Aside from this, CPU should be the only other upgrade that I actually need.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was wondering, would this work:

If I was really ambitious I would get 2x 128GB mSATA drives, I would bios RAID the mSATA with the ODD. This generates a 256GB RAID0 volume with speeds practically the same as SATA III at around 500MB/s. Then I would RAID my two existing SATA III 256GB SSDs (which are not in RAID) with the new RAID0 volume giving me 768GB of space at 3x times the speeds, I estimate around 1200MB/s.

This is only a theory and probably totally un-achievable.

Theoretically, it should work because a RAID volume is seen as a single disk. But, I'm just not sure if there's an exception in RAID 0. Because it'd be striping a stripe. It should work out to .165, .165, .33, .33 on the stripe split.

I see no reason for it not to work. Let us know how it goes.

@sgogeta4

I think the problem is, he has mismatching sized drives. The two mSATA are 128GB. If he were to RAID0 all four, it would only create an array sized 4x128GB (It takes the lowest one). The way he is doing it will end up with 3x256GB drives.

I guess in the end it all depends if the controller can handle a stripe inside of a stripe.

If I'm reading this correctly, is this what your want to do?

raid0.png

• Thumbs Up 1

That may be better though widezu since then all drives sizes could match.

Yeah I know it would be better but all ports would get downgraded to SATA II. 4x SATA II is similar to 2x SATA III. What I'm trying to achieve is make use of all the ports and not have any speed bottlenecks.

I see i dont think i realized by raiding them like that... That they all would run sata2 and not just two of the drives :/

Yeah that's the issue. It's like SLi and CrossFire, multiple things take the lowest and multiply instead of just adding up the performance.