[MOBILE/DESKTOP] AMD Catalyst 12.7 beta & 12.7 CAP 1

mw86

hey guys here in 12.7 we see a fix to the Skyrim flickering finally which I know has been way too long in the wait.

@StamatisX I believe you have been utterly fed up with AMD and their bull drivers.

See below this is AMD's list of improvements.

AMD Catalyst ™ 12.7 Beta Driver
Last Updated 6/28/2012
Article Number GPU-167
This release of AMD Catalyst™ 12.7 Beta includes a number of performance optimizations for the AMD Radeon ™ HD 7900, AMD Radeon HD 7800, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series. Performance highlights of AMD Catalyst 12.7 Beta

• Up to 25% Skyrim
  • Up to 6% in Crysis 2
  • Up to 20% in Total War: Shogun 2
  • Up to 3.3% in Battlefield 3
  • Up to 6.9% In 3DMark™ 11
  • Up to 4.8% in Aliens vs. Predator
  • Up to 6.5% in Batman: Arkham City
  • Up to 8% in Crysis Warhead
  • Up to 7.2% in F1 2010
  • Up to 8% in Just Cause 2
  • Up to 12% in Wolfenstein MP
Feature highlights of AMD Catalyst 12.7 Beta Diablo 3: Anti-Aliasing support:

• Users can now enable Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing and Super Sample Anti-Aliasing for Diablo 3 through the AMD Catalyst Control Center.
Resolved Issues for the Windows® 7, Windows Vista® and Windows XP Operating System

• Elder Scrolls: Skyrim- screen flickering when in AMD CrossFire™ mode Note: This issue was first observed with version 1.6 of Skyrim.
Instructions: Download and install the Driver from the following location:

For detailed instructions on how to install the drivers, please refer to:

• Article GPU-33 for a Windows 7 based system
  • Article GPU-1 for a Windows Vista based system
Note! This Driver is provided “AS IS” and under the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement provided therewith.

Applicable Products:This article applies to the following configuration(s): Hardware:

• AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
  • AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series
  • AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
  • AMD Mobility Radeon HD 7000M Series
  • AMD Mobility Radeon HD 6000M Series
  • AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series
Feedback is very important in every product company’s life, especially in our fast paced environment. This is not just a check-box for us – we take these reports very seriously. We will review every report posted using the AMD Issue Reporting Form below and will investigate every issue encountered. Please use this form whenever you encounter something worth mentioning.

via: AMD Catalyst

download is here: AMD Catalyst

Direct link Catalyst 12.7 beta

Also 12.7 CAP 1 got released, which might be interesting for all CF users.

Direct link 12.7 CAP 1

now i am waiting on confirmation and to try it myself tommorow as its way to late for me to reinstall drivers now. But MR.Fox has graciously let me know he has tried loading this desktop driver as the main driver on his set of 7970m i crossfire in M18x R1. Now for initial testing at first glance they seem to be flawless vs 12.5 7900m mod. Time will tell when they get tested in the next day but without anymods at all apparently this drive loads on 7970m with no mods at all, no hacks changes to inf or anything as the proper card ID seems to be magically already in there. I've got my fingers crossed. I'll load it tommorow and report back. I have it downloaded already. I really would like to see these drivers fix the entire xfire debacle of AMD/Alienware. So cheers and goodnight. if there are any brave souls feel free to try it out yourself. Also It will be great when this driver gets refined as I think an uncountable amount of people wanted xfire working in Skyrim. So many and so long its been broken that I think many have abandoned the Skyrim game such as I believe StamatisX has from frustration over the unplayable issues in xfire on Skyrim. Goodnight guys im out :)

I give thanks to @Mr.Fox as he deserves full credit for his discovery. He also has informed a level 3 tech of this discovery to pass the info down the line.
  • Thumbs Up 4

@StamatisX thanks for trying them out. Ill try them now momentarily. So for mobility in general they are not oading correct. Wow i can beleive it thinks your first card is a workstatoon card yet card two loaded as 5870m. So werd. Thanks for trykng them and sorry for the hassle. Of loadkng them to find they didn't work.

@mods thank you for revising and adding more to the post. Cap1 loks like a good bet.

Hopefully they do work for 7970m and if not they are definately only for desktop cards. Again thanks for testing StamatisX. Il reprt back pretty soon from now.

What dont make sense actually its AMD it does make sense... why did they even list 6000m and 5000m series if it doesnt work for them?

okay Witcher 2 still epic fail in crossfire and Diablo3 is not running right the gpus dont stay at full load. ill test more later

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay with a little tinkering and the same ulps tweak i had used on 12.5 beta drivers guru3d 7900mod i am now gettng about the same or better performance in Diablo 3 now. So later ill try turning off powerplay as SVL7 suggested. Then ill test more. Ill install a bunch of games to test as currently only a few on the system and try to report back on overall game experiences. Seems for now nothing crossfire wise is fixed but havent tried many games. Witcher 2 as mentioned has same issue in xfire as all the other drivers did. For a work around ill try as Mr.Fox suggested and disable card 2 via device manager to see if it handles like it did when i had only one physical card installed in the system. As when in dual card the game freezes justt moments into loading a scene. The issue consists of not being able to get it working by setting singl card on a per app basis for Witcher 2 specifically. It ends up in CCC or even Radeon Pro not working correct yet in a on screen display of gpu stats i see gpu 2 does properly not get a load from the game yet card ones load fluctuates from 20% - 99%. Eventually just crashing as when crossfire wasnt disabled. So for now there may have been no improvement in xfire support on this driver but possibly more performance over 12.5 driver. Ill report baci once ive tried more games on it.

• Founder

Since I have the 7970s on the R2, and both the beta drivers and the 12.7 CAP1 installed, I tested Skyrim and guess what...

Still f'in flickering...

Thats typical AMD :/ Well to report back i went from 12.7 to 12.5 to 12.7 and there are plenty of improvements and fps gains and no added probs that 12.5 didnt already exhibit. It is a good alternative and i recomend it for 7970m owners. I tried Witcher 2 in xfire on it one night i played hours through most of the beggining and no crash. I rry that again tonight to see how dependable that result was and its crashing eventually again. Most other gamss are showing either same or better performance over 12.5 drjvers on 7970m. So only stable way to play Witcher 2 for now is still fully disabling xfire and rebooting system to be able to launch Witcher 2 and play stable. Sadly as ive stated attempting a basic CCC or radeon pro profile to tell Witcher 2 to run single gou doesnt work succesfuly as during game ive seen second gpu at 0% usage one minute and the next it shows maybe 30%... :/ which just leads to the same crash xfire did.

StamatisX congrats im glad you upgraded to the 7970m's. Yes Skyrim seems plagued forever. Its pretty sad they state they fixed it yet there it is :/

• 2 months later...

Out of all drivers I've used with my 6990m CrossfireX 12.7b with 12.9 cap 1 gives the absolute best performance compared to previous drivers and the newer 12.8 and 12.9b. Offers the best performance with Sleeping Dogs for me as well, great set of drivers.

The new 12.9 beta that guru3d modded ie 12.9 beta 7900 mod drivers are working great for a few games i tried so far and they add geometry instancing and High Quality Anistropic Filtering... something that i see a clear difference in using. The result is a very sharp texture and just looks awesome. If you haven't tried that driver i would give it a try. You may already be on the best driver for 6990m. Im thinking when they finally release a 13.0 that things will be much better.

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

• Thumbs Up 1