G51j-A1 vBIOS...its in my BIOS can someone help me :)

So yea my vBIOS is embedded into my BIOS I guess and someone talked about a process of using like 3 programs to pull it out and edit it and then re-embed it....that is totally over my head and was wondering if two things:

1. Someone can do it for me and I trust you *gulp* :)

2. Someone can make a step by step guide for me so i dont screw up.

I'll check this back in a month to see if i get a reply :) jk i'll check it probably everyday

That's a BIOS of a G60J, right?

Anyway, there are two vbios in there, one of a 250m and the other of a 260m. For the 260m there's no further overvolting possible in case you were looking for this, the 250m has a very small headroom for overvolting,

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, you can overclock it, I can edit the clocks... but the voltage for this card can't be further increased, it's already at the max possible value.

Some other 260m have the possibility to slightly increase the voltage, true... e.g. the Dell 260m which can be found in the M15x, but the one in your system doesn't seem to be capable of this.

There are two voltage entries in the vbios, one is labelled 0.95, the other 0.85. Only the highest performance profile is set to 0.95, the other three are set to 0.85.

You can't go higher, as I already said, there's no additional entry available.

why not change the highest value to a higher number? I dont get it...can't you just type in 1v for the highest value?

the guy on NBR said he went and changed the values or something from extracting with mmtool and then with nibitor and then re-embedding it or something. I think those were the tools names. Again this is all new to me

Again sorry, I am just trying to understand this.

Edited by HOPELESSLYFAITHFUL

Look, as I already mentioned a couple of times, there are only two entries in the voltage table. That's it. All you can do is changing the label of the entries, the result is that programs like GPU-Z report a higher voltage, but the actual voltage isn't changed at all. Most people aren't aware of this fact. They use programs like Nibitor (which is a great tool) but still don't understand how a voltage gets set in the VBIOS.

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F

00 20 06 02 04 00 07 55 04 00 00 5F 02 00 00 00 00
01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
02 00 00 00 00 00 00 49 4D

That's the voltage table in your vbios, the values of interest are the words at offset 0x6 and 0x10, these are the only to entries in the table - 5504 and 5F02

The first byte of each word represents the label of the voltage, 0x55 is 85 and 0x5F is 95, that's what software like GPU-Z reports you, when you change this you'll see a higher reported value, but the voltage stays the same.

The second byte of each entry is a number, unique for each entry, it refers to a certain VR pin selection which represents the voltage. The VR on your board could probably deliver more than two different voltages, but it has not been implemented.

No idea whether it could be implemented theoretically, even if, you wouldn't want to test it I guess, it'd most likely brick your system.

Just trust me on this one, the voltage of this VBIOS can't be increased by normal VBIOS editing, if someone say he's done it then he simply changed the label (lol) which only changes the reported value, but not the voltage.

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Founder
Look, as I already mentioned a couple of times, there are only two entries in the voltage table. That's it. All you can do is changing the label of the entries, the result is that programs like GPU-Z report a higher voltage, but the actual voltage isn't changed at all. Most people aren't aware of this fact. They use programs like Nibitor (which is a great tool) but still don't understand how a voltage gets set in the VBIOS.

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F

00 20 06 02 04 00 07 55 04 00 00 5F 02 00 00 00 00
01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
02 00 00 00 00 00 00 49 4D

That's the voltage table in your vbios, the values of interest are the words at offset 0x6 and 0x10, these are the only to entries in the table - 5504 and 5F02

The first byte of each word represents the label of the voltage, 0x55 is 85 and 0x5F is 95, that's what software like GPU-Z reports you, when you change this you'll see a higher reported value, but the voltage stays the same.

The second byte of each entry is a number, unique for each entry, it refers to a certain VR pin selection which represents the voltage. The VR on your board could probably deliver more than two different voltages, but it has not been implemented.

No idea whether it could be implemented theoretically, even if, you wouldn't want to test it I guess, it'd most likely brick your system.

Just trust me on this one, the voltage of this VBIOS can't be increased by normal VBIOS editing, if someone say he's done it then he simply changed the label (lol) which only changes the reported value, but not the voltage.

Thanks for the explanation, i didn't know that you can separately control the voltage label and the voltage itself. Seems a bit redundant, but good to know.

Cheers Marco!

I didn't know that you can separately control the voltage label and the voltage itself. Seems a bit redundant, but good to know.

The thing is you can't just give the voltage regulator a value and it'll deliver you the desired voltage... you have a certain amount of pins which are connected to the GPU, each pin has a different voltage, and combined you get the resulting voltage. So the code which is actually responsible for the resulting voltage is in a totally different place in the VBIOS, to put it simply the VID is just a parameter for the voltage setting function in the vbios and the label is only there as information about the corresponding voltage of the VID. Still, 5F doesn't mean you get 0.95V, it's going to be something like 0.9375V, depending on the VR.

• Founder
The thing is you can't just give the voltage regulator a value and it'll deliver you the desired voltage... you have a certain amount of pins which are connected to the GPU, each pin has a different voltage, and combined you get the resulting voltage. So the code which is actually responsible for the resulting voltage is in a totally different place in the VBIOS, to put it simply the VID is just a parameter for the voltage setting function in the vbios and the label is only there as information about the corresponding voltage of the VID. Still, 5F doesn't mean you get 0.95V, it's going to be something like 0.9375V, depending on the VR.

Cheers, that clarifies it.