non turbo flex support

I noticed you can increase flex with "non turbo flex support" disabled.But it's not doing anything with flex then correct?

@GeoCake

guys its not that at all sorry to say :(

"non turbo flex support" : enabled / disabled is to enable or disable "non turbo flex ratio" to be adjusted.

Leave it disabled it causes havoc with turbo at times.

Now to define "non turbo flex ratio" : is the multiplier of the cpu when in non turbo frequencies and mode. (so it also is used when turbo is enabled and the cpu is operating at lower than turbo speeds)

Its called a ratio because of the multiplier thing... i had 2920xm and have 2960xm so here is what i saw and proof why this is what i have described.

With "non turbo flex support" enabled a new option appears below.

"non turbo flex ratio" appears

For 2920xm you will see 25 by default and it can be set from 25 to 8 which is equivalent to 2920xm's fastest multi of 25x which is its highest non turbo speed of 2.5ghz (sometimes referred to as base speed) and 8 is lowest because thats the lowest multi Sandybridge supports... Ie 800mhz idle

2960xm sees 27 by default and again can be set from 8-27 :)

So examply i enable non turbo flex support and adjust non turbo flex ratio to 12... I enter windows what i will see is when cpu is running at turbo it will be (on a 2960xm) 28x or higher and when turbo is not engaged the max speed ill see set like that is 1.2ghz or 12x multiplier because thats what i had set non flex turbo ratio to in this example. So cpu in non turbo situations then would bounce from 800mhz to 1200mhz and when more process power is needed would jump to turbo ranges.

I hope i have helped you both I wouldnt want you to to have misinformation. If you guys belive i am wrong test yourself and elaborate i am open to all that is knowlege :) i learned about these functions on the m18x stock and unlocked bios. You can check guides in my signature each one has some kind of useful infos :) theres a stock bios guide and unlocked and much more ;)

*not to be confused with "turbo flex ViD" which is essentially overvoltage setting to gain stability at overclocked (non standard) turbo values :)

Cheers my overclocking friends :)

Edited by mw86

What I am saying is you have to have that option enabled so that you can adjust the Flex VID Override setting in the BIOS. This is what it looks like on the M17x R3:

53652165.jpg

@usmc362 If you want to run at 4.5Ghz you have to have the VID on 6. For 4.6Ghz you have to have it on 12. It could be different for your CPU. It hasn't caused any havoc for me...

Edited by GeoCake

@mw86* when I enable non tubo flex support I get another option"Extreme Edition" which can be enabled or disabled, I don't see anything about turboflex GeoCake[/MENTION]"]ratio.@GeoCake you have your flex set to 30 and your memory is 1.65 instead of 1.50. Do you leave the memory at 1.65 when your'e not benching or gaming and how come your flex is so high? What settings on your 2920 do you use when you use 3DMark Vantage?

I didn't say that was my photo. I leave the first 3 options enabled and the VID is set at 0 for normal use. It is 6 for benchmarks. I have XMP PnP HyperX so I do not touch the memory settings (first option is disabled, second is default).

Furthermore, we have already told you countless times what we have and what we use AND how to set it (I PMed you)... but for the last time;

45 across all cores on Intel XTU, restart and in the BIOS set:

6 Flex

1000 PriPlane

100.1 BCLK

99W Long Boost, Short boost disabled, 56 seconds

Now, stop asking silly questions, set the above settings, set fans to max and BENCH. DO NOT post without results. Don't even DARE.

Edited by GeoCake

Ok, some photos like I promised earlier;

How to adjust PriPlane:

7th tab -> Advanced CPU Control -> Scroll all the way down.

PriPlane1.jpg

PriPlane2.jpg

How to adjust Flex:

5th tab -> Performance Options Menu -> Top

Flex1.jpg

Flex2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

GeoCake advice is good and all but try to stay calmer :P you were a little rough there :) we like to be HAPPY here at Tech Inferno.

I found out why there's been discrepancies between our advice its differences in our unlocked bioses. The functions are the same but apparently according to that screen shot you dont have function of "non turbo flex support". Your enabling it and its not doing anything because there is actually a new value that shows below that once enabled... So it seems it doesnt work on M17x XM as it should my guess is because there wasnt official XM support anyway... You do not need that option enabled you do need "overclocking feature" enabled and also "Extreme Edition".

Be an hour or so but ill post pics to show you. Basically once you see its true function i think youll agree its an unused feature for your m17x R3's and should be disabled.... And is not required to adjust "turbo flex" which is completely different and seperate. I ask you look at the evidence i post in a bit and i think you can agree. Ill try to get the actual bios description of that feature in a pic so its not my words but the bios themselves and Unclewebb can probably agree Throttle Stop's creator as he enabled a feature that displays the current "non turbo ratio (multiplier)" enabled via "non turbo support"

Be patient itll be up in an hour or two. :) no hard feelings Geo ;) im glad to show you what i mean it tends to be better than me just talking about it...

I can say this there may be a stipulation that that "non turbo support" needs to be enabled for flex to work on your m17x r3's because of what i mentioned about XM not officially being supported. So its very well possible you guys who added these chips to your systems that you found its absolutely required for "non turbo flex support" to be enabled to adjust turbo flex (voltage) as i am always open to knowledge. did i make any sense ? I dont always word things in a way that gets my thoughts accross. Be right back shortly...

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I understand perfectly well what you mean. But you're not understanding me!

The "Non-Turbo Flex Support" has to be enabled to see the "Extreme Edition" option. The "Extreme Edition" option has to be enabled to see the "Flex VID Override" option. I should have stated this clearer, it's my fault.

The only thing "Non-Turbo Flex Support" does when enabled is show is the extra options. If it is not enabled, the "Flex VID Override" option will not be visible. It's true function probably does not even work because the rest of the options are missing. It could actually be an error in the unlocked bios itself, e.g. the text entry could be something different. That's the only explanation that I can think of.

I was only referring to the "Non-Turbo Flex Support" option as a way of actually getting to the "Flex VID Override" option, not to its true function.

HAPPY!!! :nevreness::nevreness::nevreness:

Edited by GeoCake
  • Thumbs Up 1

now i understand and I guess i suspected that could have been the case being on m17x... i figured since you had been using it so long that it was probably what you meant. Cool beans. So since i did take those pics anyway here they are and as you said you realize the true function is not even being used but just using it to show turbo voltage adjustment (turbo flex)... so i fully get what you are saying and we are on same page cool :)

i took them in order so you could see effects and descriptions etc and how M18x menus end up working as you know we seem to not need to enable that for same effect just the Overclocking Support and Extreme Edition....

post-34-14494992808839_thumb.png

Thanks GeoCake for clarifying this it sucks you cant see this function working on those systems... it seems it could be good for using lower speeds when turbo is unecessary. I think the pics capture how it all works on M18x... i got the bios descriptions shown of "non turbo flex support" and "non turbo flex ratio". I just wasnt getting that you required one to activate the other Geocake... I suspected so but wasnt sure. So now we got M18x and M17x R3 "non turbo support" defined, described and covered even pictured... pretty cool :)

post-34-14494992760608_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992762165_thumb.jpg

post-34-144949927637_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992765199_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992766712_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992768282_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992769804_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992802725_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992804361_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992805872_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992807348_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

@mw86 That's very interesting. Thanks for posting that!

I just wonder why half the options are missing on the unlocked M17x R3 BIOS, I'd prefer if all the options were there. :(

Also;

I noticed you can increase flex with "non turbo flex support" disabled.But it's not doing anything with flex then correct?
My bad. I misunderstood you completely. Apologies. :(

Yes, after enabling it the first time, and after enabling extreme edition... it can then be disabled, But then the Extreme edition option disappears and the Flex VID Override remains. After that, just set the multipliers on Intel XTU again... Having "non turbo flex support" enabled or disabled makes no difference whatsoever cause we are missing the rest!

Gosh, it's confusing.

Edited by GeoCake
  • Thumbs Up 1