EVGA Precision stopped overclocking

raymosrunerx

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been on here; I've been working hard writing a step-by-step manual on how to overclock/overvolt the RAM, GPU, and CPU.

However, while writing the guide, I realized that EVGA Precision is not overclocking my GPU.

I try and set the clock rates, but it is not applying, when it use to.

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome back :)

coole about the guide looking forward to it... im sure it is still a great guide and maybe its a simple fix. What version is this the latest? Im not familiar with EVGA Precision maybe Jimbo or someone else has used it. By all means post your guide your more than welcome to.

Did you have to change anything in registry in the past to allow it to work. Was it on the same system? This a laptop/desktop? What card and Operating System?

Windows 7, nvidia gt555m.

Its always worked in the past, no hassle, nothing that I had to wrestle with. It just suddenly stopped. I may consider re-installing the OS, after may failed overclocks and system crashes, I've started finding that alot of other programs are being affected as well... Like Alien Command Center started freaking out on me and just refused to work... After I write this guide, I'll probably reset my system. I may consider using MSI Afterburner and see if that works.

What overclocking software do you use for GPU?

well ive used a couple. It also depends on what we company we use... AMD i used Sapphire Trixx and RBE editor to edit vbios :)

Intel XTU is best for a few system overclocks like ram, watts , xm multipliers :)

I tried afterburner in past on older hardware and never got it working... Needed a fix to allow gpu adjustment then id launch it and it would cause a bsod. This was years ago.

Throttle Stop i use for cpu overclocking. Its cool EVGA covers a lot of system aspects. Maybe youll figure out why its not working. Hmmm only thing i can think of is i was overclocking a few times and rarely i would crash so bad it erased data being read and or written and cause actual OS probs even could cause hd errors like file system errors. Worst case scenario. Were you overclocking and testing a lot?

Ive used nvidia performance tools... but a birdy that knows better told me not to use it ( i think you did SVL7 i could be imagining things) its not as stable as other methods on nvidia

I guess for nvidia there is also nhibitor or something like that. Can i or one of us test for you to see if its working how it was for you... that would tell you that as you said the OS could be a little messed up. You can try running a administrator elevated command prompt might be windows key and r i cant remember and type in "SFC C: /r /f /scannow" if i got that wrong i know just "sfc /scannow" will work :) thats the windows file checker maybe run a scan disk too or use the command "chkdsk C:"

I was overclocking and crashing nonstop to figure out the limit of my system as well as a systematic way of increasing. Little did I know that rebooting after each reference clock increase of about 3mhz is required. I crashed at least ~25-35 times until I figured that one out.

How would I check to see the integrity of the OS and filesystem? Just those two commands? I will give it a go

So I ran both, and sfc seemed to do alot of repairs, I checked the log files.

However, I still have one important issue that needs to be fixed, it is nothing major, but as a college student, it is extremely helpful.

Instead of shutting down and starting up whenever I move from class to class (or just in general), I usually put it into hibernation. It basically uses no power, and offers quick startup, so I can take notes immediately. Instead, I have to now boot up completely, and since I use truecrypt more or less for organization instead of security, I have to re-mount all my drives.

If ANYONE can fix this hibernation problem, I would be eternally grateful

just need to understand. Since running checkdisk and system file checker you can successfully use Hibernation and need to fully boot and then mount your drives because of the way truecrypt works?

So what do you suspect as the cause the Trucrypt or the errors you were having. Im not familiar with how trucrypt works. does it mount drives lie a virtual drive software does like Daemon Tools etc?

just need to understand. Since running checkdisk and system file checker you can successfully use Hibernation and need to fully boot and then mount your drives because of the way truecrypt works?

So what do you suspect as the cause the Trucrypt or the errors you were having. Im not familiar with how trucrypt works. does it mount drives lie a virtual drive software does like Daemon Tools etc?

No, using hibernation has allowed to save me alot of time because I don't have to re-mount my drives with truecrypt.

Ever since I started OCing (and crashing), I somewhere along the way lost the ability to hibernate.

I will try a system restore, hopefully this will solve the problem. I still cannot get access to the Alien Command Center even after re-installing the drivers found on the dell site

powercfg /hibernate off

Type that in a administrator ran command prompt. You can just go to start/accessories/command prompt and run as administrator upon right click.

Restart fully

Now repeat the above steps including restart with this command

powercfg /hibernate on

Afterwards check back on the hibernation settings in power options.

(perhaps in between enabling it again... open my computer C: and go to folder options set view hidden files and also important operating system files and see if hiberfil or something is in C: and delete it while hibernation is disablebed between restarts just to be sure its a new file next time and then re hide those two options)

Just a step in the dark :) hope it helps