Best bang for my buck

Contam

I plan to order a new m17x since my last laptop (alienware as well) died and passed away. My question is that I want to stay around 1700 but i have a choice between upgrading the video card to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M rather then the AMD Radeon™ HD 6870M. Or should I bump the video card from Intel® Core™ i7 2670QM (2.2GHz,3.1GHz,w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache to Intel® Core™ i7 2760QM (2.4GHz,3.5GHz,w/Turbo Boost, I plan on having 4 gigs of ram and default on others but i also need windows which makes me only allowable to have either or. The rest is all default. Any advice would be nice.

Plus the refurbs are cheap and covered by a policy to be free from defects and Dell is very good at getting defects fixed from there. I agree in gaming largest fps improvement is the GPU :)

if you dontbget refurb use that same advice... but play your cards right you might find one there for the same price but with a much higher cpu and gpu :) its up to you though. Glad to hear what you may find.

spec out the one you want, then call in and get a few quotes. you can nook off a few hundo by just calling in. you'd be surprised at what they can do. refurbs are cool too but i've never gotten a good one straight from the outlet. but hey you can be lucky :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Ive herd calling it might save me some good money and i have usually ordered form online. Also I will look around refurb for something for even cheaper. I would like to have both if i could and hopefully have a sales rep knock it down cause if I get both the higher processor and card then it rounds to 1850 or so and Id hope a rep would knock that down if I haggle a bit.

If the config you want is 1850 you should be able to knock it down. I was able to knock almost 300 of the online price when I got talking to them on the phone and then they knocked off another 100 when they thought the ship date was messed up for Christmas, say its for a birthday deadline might get you overnight shipping free, I have heard it works and I guess it did for me even though I honestly wasn't trying for that.

When do they release info on the new models? Prices on the current line might lower around the same time or a sale. I caught a nice sale on RAM and 20% off my video card so if you not in a hurry watch for these things or others here might have ideas on release info as I am fairly new to the alien ownership.

Actually SSG id say your advice is very sound. Work with on phone check refurbs get feel on prices so if you are offered a good deal youll know it and if its nothing special tell them your not that interested anymore because of the price and might get a little farther from there. You know play hard to get lol. But i would keep your ears and eyes ready for new gen ivybridge versions coming soon. The benefits of saving around this time on these models could be great and further more you may end up finding a nice setup in the new gen coming. But price may be higher.... Should be about same price and again you could work them down. Depends on how long you could wait and your prefernce.

Also since im ordering now, I was wondering if i got Microsoft word from them if that would be the cheapest place to find it since i am a student and need word. Or if i could say hi to a friend and be like "need word download" kinda deal. Also any suggestion highly on making my new comp. I mean this will be my 3rd alienware but my last two were m11x and im upgrading