Anyone here using Throttlestop on their M18X

taola16

well basically yes i use Throttle Stop on M18x but not that cpu. Press turn on so its on. Select the checkbox next to multiplier and press up on arrows till it says turbo. Id leave cstates checked and eist checked to (turbo requires eist unless cstates are disabled in bios :) ).

If you get the unlocked bios and follow this guide below you can set amps and wattage limits higher and the short and long watt limits to same value like 99watts which on non xm doesnt raise the watts much actually only a couple watts increase for real but these altogether will allow your cpu to maintain turbo values for much long and at higher cpu loads :)

http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1166-unlocking-tpl-all-cpus-m17x-r3-2920xm-overclocking-potential.html

you will need Intel Extreme Tuning Utility if you decide to do so and the A05 unlocked bios. Once you set the right options in bios you will be able to do rest in the Throttle Stop app. If you flash that bios upon first start verify all normal settings are as bios was before like it like to default drives to Raid you may if it wasnt before need to set to AHCI or ATA mode.

Bios is here :) Thanks to SVL7 ;)

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1123-m18x-bios-a00-a02-a03-unlocked-bios-provided-bios-mods.html

Edited by mw86

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! I am brand new here and joined just for all the m18x info!

I just got mine through a series of very fortunate events, but I can't for the love of god OC the sucker.

It's got the 2920xm and the unlocked A05 BIOS.

I have tried using throttle stop and adjusting everything that I can through different walkthroughs and just cannot seem to find the right combo.

I am not new to overclocking and I used to OC the sh*t out of a core2quad that I still have, but the newer "i" series confuses me too much lol I don't want anything crazy... I would just like a solid 3.7 or 4.

does anyone know for sure any settings such as: Turbo mode, speedstep, turbo flex, actual values for the various wattages and such. Also with A05 unlocked my BIOS freezes and want let me enter any submenus under ICC extended.

Thanks so much for the help! and I am sorry for double post, but I thought this thread might be better suited for the topic.

• Founder

Welcome to Tech | Inferno! @mw86 has a nice guide detailing how to overclock the 2920xm CPU. He should be able to assist you. Congrats on your new alienware purchase.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello all! I am brand new here and joined just for all the m18x info!

I just got mine through a series of very fortunate events, but I can't for the love of god OC the sucker.

It's got the 2920xm and the unlocked A05 BIOS.

I have tried using throttle stop and adjusting everything that I can through different walkthroughs and just cannot seem to find the right combo.

I am not new to overclocking and I used to OC the sh*t out of a core2quad that I still have, but the newer "i" series confuses me too much lol I don't want anything crazy... I would just like a solid 3.7 or 4.

does anyone know for sure any settings such as: Turbo mode, speedstep, turbo flex, actual values for the various wattages and such. Also with A05 unlocked my BIOS freezes and want let me enter any submenus under ICC extended.

Thanks so much for the help! and I am sorry for double post, but I thought this thread might be better suited for the topic.

Hi life256 welcome to Tech Inferno. Congrats on your new aquisition and im sorry it was under extenuating circumstances. I can help you no problem :)

Here to start glance at all three of these posts. The links are in my signature and ill post them here.

stock bios guide (read to get idea of how bios works to start very important)

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1054-alienware-m18x-stock-bios-xm-guide.html

Unlocked bios guide (combined with bios modding but has important unlock bios advice too)

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1125-m18x-a03-bios-modifying-via-da_gs-method-hex-registers-editing.html#post13085

I will add specific directions below and pictures. Skim through the threads to get aquainted.

Post in progress :) add more for you soon.

first do this before all other steps. Then follow config of the rest. Set baseclock, then restart with save via f10. Next set memory according to ram in possesion again f10 restart re-enter bios. Next set multipliers (if not setting higher than 45x multipier as intel extreme tuning utility is then required), enable long watt limit leave short disabled, and flex. Then set thermal throttle, amperage (primary plane) and the wattage. Nothing else is important and two menus cause a lock up so dont enter them dont enter extended icc its uneeded there is another menu that has baseclock. Personally ill show the proper menus and anything else is better left untouched as the unlocked bios actually allows access to crippling settings if set wrong... dont enter extended icc. Throttle stop is a great app and isnt required for the ranges you are talking about but is free and hosted by Tech Inferno and best of all makes controlling what your cpu does more so than any standard built in control. I recomend it for you to force turbo speeds and make power profiles so you have one for battery and AC. Throttle stop can be set to switch profiles when you unplug the power :)

Primary plane: this is a amperage limitation we can set. Your m18x uses 97 amps max. If the wattage being drawn needs more amps than that the mhz running will drop. In the bios its called primary plane. In bios a primary plane of 0 is equal to 97 amps max. Anything over 0 will set your amps accordingly but each 8 primary plane equals 1 amp. 4 primary plane is equal to half an amp. 8 PP will equal 1 amp. 800 primary plane is 100 amps and 776 is 97 amps stock and we want about 1000-1200 primary. You should be fine for a 4ghz overclock at 1000 primary plane or 125 amp limit.

non-turbo flex ratio: leave this disabled it tends to cause havok on turbo when not stock... what it does is sets the max multiplier usable when not in turbo. The max on 2960xm is 27 the max is 25 on the 2920xm. Minimum is Sandybridges minimum multiplier ie 8 for 800mhz :)

Speedstep and EIST: leave enabled must be enabled or tubo is non functional. It allows speeds to adjust based on load otherwise max speed is locked and can overheat most setups very important to always leave enabled

Core States: leave enabled for best results as it will run cpu cooler and sleep cores that are unused. This will allow cpu to use lower voltage ID and produce less heat. This should not greatly effect performance and should give tremendous benefits. C0 state is when cpu is under load so how much % C0 is basically like cpu load. C1-C7 are all slower lower power states as the number after C is higher. c6 is the highest default and c7 is disabled in m18x by default. Enabling may save little more power at extreme idle period but not recomended as it also takes longer for c7 and c6 to awake cores from these states and c7 is longer than c6... So best left default. Core states disabled is not recommended but if used this way will lock cpu at max 8thread turbo speeds if throttle stop is set to turbo multiplier.

MSR Lock: this determines if MSR lock is enabled... If enabled no software can modify the right registers in memory to overclock watts on our cpus and if you disable it (default is enabled) then Throttle Stop and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility can set the watts inside Windows. Intel XTU can set up to 99watts. Utilizing Throttle Stop and MSR lock off you can set value to up to 1023 watts (same as amp numerical limit). Setting it high can allow max watts more so then setting exact watts as limit ie setting 110 watts is likely to help maintain 99-105watts in a sense... Setting 130watts may help maintain 120 :) so basically as Unclewebb oh cpu author of Throttle Stop has stated same as i have seen these cpus can draw about 122 watts straight through before sporadically using peaks just a little over that and throttling lower than the 122watts so for real world use look to use 122watts or less of constant power draw if ever going beyond basic 4ghz overclock.

baseclock: this is the mhz value multiplied by a determining number to give you nearly all of the speeds derived in the system including PCI express lanes (used especially in graphics and internal devices), Sata ports (connects optical media drives and hard rives etc., USB ports speed, ram speed and even cpu speed. Each of those devices multiplies baseclock (stock is 99.8 shows 99.7 via windows) by a ratio number example is ram at 99.8 baseclock when set for 1600mhz ram runs just under 1600 mhz and is multiplied by 16 in a sense. Best leave this at stock until youve been sure eveything is definately stable since it changes so many speeds at once.

Short & Long Watt Limit and time limit: set this to 99 for 4ghz overclock. Short limit is usually higher or equal to long limit it doesnt work at a lower value... the long limit is usually lower or equal to the short limit. The short time limit is how long the cpu operates at the short watt limit till long watt limit is used. Stock short time limit is 28seconds and Intel standard is 21seconds. The max you can set is 56 seconds and the minimum is 1 second. Intel describes short limit as 1.25x long watt limit. So you can see if you use a short limit its designed to run faster in burst periods and as it sits down to work on a long workload it drops to a safe speed for the long haul. In most apps you should be fine at 99watts. Via stock bios you can set 99short limit max and 80 watts max long limit. The last menu (will be pic) has both these limits listed again this is where you can set long limit as high as short limit... to 99watts. I think for sake of trying things out you can set 80 watts long limit and 99watts short limit see how temps are in a 8threaded app and then set a long limit and disable short limit so it just uses the long limit indefinitely.

turbo mode: leave enabled so Turbo cpu speeds function

Thermal Management: in this section of bios we only need to raise the Thermal Throttle Temperature from 85c of stock bios to 90c max of the unlocked bios.

Turbo Flex VID: this is for turbo speeds and the amount of overvoltage to keep the cpu stable under overclocked speeds is used. For 4ghz overclock set this to 0. Using higher is uneeded and adds heat to the cpu.

If you wish to go beyond 4ghz stable reference this post here and post any questions after getting used to the rest of the above. This post will help show safe overclocks over 2900xm series.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1491-2920xm-overclocking-guide-detailed-results.html

Edited by mw86