Achieving High OC Rates on GPU

raymosrunerx

• Founder

Do you overclock the CPU as well? cause they are both sharing the same heatsink. You should consider repasting if you haven't done so already.

Check your temps cause that's most likely the reason

drop your vram overclock it holding you back try 850 -900 vram and you may be able to get from 800-890 core in benches depending on temps. Vantage may take max 860core and 3dmark11 890 core. Overall though unless you have some amazing cooling go lower than the 860-890 but either way. If you drop you vram some it will help stabilize higher core clocks on that :)

Btw try not to depend on MSI Kombustor and Furmark as they are "power viruses" and tend to not run like any normal game no matter how fancy it may be. I used to use furmark till i realized my overclocks that were stable via furmark did not mean game stability. Test with games its the best way. If you overclock baseclock of cpu pci express slots get overclocked and can cause instability in gpus if its too high. How is temps if you can improve cooling and ensure vram is cool and core... you will get farther.

I just realized this is an m14x so.. Sorry this may apply more towards an overvolted 580m... But the advice may transpose to your video card.

Edited by mw86

Here's the thing though, my temp has never exceeded 90 C, it has always been upper 80s. I don't think upper 80s is considered too hot, although I could be wrong...

Also, how would one go about repasting? Is there a visual manual out there somewhere?

i see okay. Then agreed i wouldn't push it much more... Still suggest little less on vram and slight more on core perhaps 810-820 at most. yes temps are good. Id say long term vram overclocks hurt gpus faster than core when either is pushed to their limits. Perhaps play it safe like Iloveb00bs said and leave it at what you got.

i dont have a similar card and am not familiar enough with overclock potential of that one... You probably are at max stable for gaming. Otherwise keeping cooler might allow better clocks and if it is to its not 80c its even lower like 50c - 60c and lower under load. Its actually voltage that effects things and effectively the cooler things are to a certain point will allow high mhz at same volts... but 80c is stable for gaming not low enough to go higher in core or mem according to your results. So if benching you might go higher but for stability in games long term... You probably found your perfect settings. My 6970ms after a repaste never got over 76c for gaming over 18+hours. I used 822core it stayed cool and mem 1100 something... again for gaming cool but if i went higher in mem temps were a lot higher and performance was lower and core would crash gaming scenarios any higher. Id say you got a nice overclock. I just got 580m and have no idea good clocks. Find point they perform fastest and stay cool and any higher crashes or is too hot :) someone else can help clocks with you who has that card