Random freeze..

Marcus007

Guys, I have another problem. :( My laptop freezes randomly most of the time now and I don't know why but usually, it's after playing and there's no way out but to force it shut down(power button) then everything will be back to normal. Do you guys have any clues what the problem is and how to fix this? Thank you for anyone who would be kind to help me.

Thank you for replying. Umm, no, the mouse is still moving but everything's frozen like when I click the tabs(chrome, games, etc.) it doesn't respond and when I try to run the taks manager, an error would say that it was unable to display the task manager.

I monitor my temps and the GPU doesn't go up any higher than 75 and the CPU doesn't get any higher than 75-80.

• Founder

Since your temps are fine I would concentrate on the background processes running. You could start eliminating one by one until you get stable, or go the other way around and disable most of them and start enabling them until you start freezing again.

8gb. Other specs if you want to know: i5-2410m, GTX 560m 1.5Gb, 500gb HDD

are you overclocking any components? plus do you have virus protection... a virus can consume a ton of background clocks and overclocking can seem stable but sometimes cause hickups like that and give little indication that it was that making it harder to diagnose.

are you overclocking any components? plus do you have virus protection... a virus can consume a ton of background clocks and overclocking can seem stable but sometimes cause hickups like that and give little indication that it was that making it harder to diagnose.

Umm, I have this button "turbo" and I think it overclocks the cpu? I'm not really sure what it overclocks but I heard that it boosts the performance of my laptop. My laptop is GT683R btw. Yes, AVG is my anti virus. Do you think this is the one that's causing the random freezing? Thanks for replying btw.

When it freezes, any way you can press Control + Shift + Escape and open the task manager ? If so you can see which process is killing your CPU and Memory.

I tried pressing the ctrl + alt + del but it says that it fails to appear the security and logon options. Haven't tried the crtl + shift + esc though. Will try it again if ever it freezes. Btw, my friend told me that it would really freeze if you're using the laptop for more than 8-10 hours straight because it would drain the ram? Is this true? Just wondering. Thanks for replying.

I tried pressing the ctrl + alt + del but it says that it fails to appear the security and logon options. Haven't tried the crtl + shift + esc though. Will try it again if ever it freezes. Btw, my friend told me that it would really freeze if you're using the laptop for more than 8-10 hours straight because it would drain the ram? Is this true? Just wondering. Thanks for replying.

you would be correct in being unsure on that one. No the ram will not do that ive seen systems on for their entire life of the computer so years on end lol. It was used in a grocery stores computer system... Years lol. I have a feeling your friend has ran into what ive heard of as a memory leak. Its when an app if i understand somewhat continues to build ram usage and other strange effects due to a error in the way the program was made. Example you use 64bit hwinfo for a 64bit computer once i installed hwinfo 32 and used it for fan control and monitoring as i would normally and this system was on for hours i come back hwinfo crashed and froze and never did before and i noticed it had consumed all the ram i had available which again normally never happened. I uninstalled and used the 64bit version with no probs. Laptops and Desktops function the same so leaving them always running would not effect the ram like that under normal circumstances. As for a mobile system being on for hours as long as it is properly cooled it should be no problem but if cooling isnt reaching all components can build heat in less noticed hardware that would be a problem... but i had a few laptops run for a few months never had any issues. Perhaps you should school your friend now and see if he has a roque app using up all his ram because of a ram leak in it.

@Marcus007 lets continue the analysis of the sluggish response. Does your cpu get to 100% usage in regualr day to day tasks? If cpu usage goes that high in that situation its bottlenecking you entire system at that moment in time. Do you use Throttle Stop to keep your cpu in its top multis? If not its recomended. This turbo button if it boosts things to high and whatbits boosting is important then perhaps its an issue of baseclock,ram,pci clocks or who knows... what does manual say the turbo boosts? If using hwinfo be sure that its latest revision there was a new one very recent that greatly improved performance... you could be experiencing some lag when the sensors readings were going. Has to be something software if that turbo button isnt overdoing anything. Try playing games with AVG disabled... Check all setting could be avg is doing realtime scans on entire games as they run. I have had issues of that on some AV software. I am no longer a user of AVG amongst many others. Panda cloud antivirus is powerful and i beleive the smallest AV in the world... Plus it uses server resources for scans so your system only needs to guard. Its free if you didnt pay for AVG id say give Panda a try... its completely up to you but i would launch a few apps with task manager and see what avg services are doing look at their file location to find the ones by AVG. Could be your i5 is being loaded a lot by your AV. Microsoft Security Essentials is a good light weight free one too and has higher detection rate than about 75% of even paid AV software as well as Panda about the same. Otherwise square one Marcus sift through your backround processes... Something is consuming resources on the sli... Where i mention the av software the usual av suspects of resource usage is on demand realtime scans so any file read or written to HD is read before being written and while being read by an app...this puts a lot of overhead on cpu and the harddrive since multiple access may occur due to this...the other that comes to mind is called heuristic scanning and advanced heuristics... Its extra checks on running software to see if its malware or spyware and not just virus... Hoepfully you get to the bottom of it. Have you checked DLP Latency or what not? I know theres an app to run which shows if hardware itself is causing delays right?

Edited by mw86

@Marcus007 lets continue the analysis of the sluggish response. Does your cpu get to 100% usage in regualr day to day tasks? If cpu usage goes that high in that situation its bottlenecking you entire system at that moment in time. Do you use Throttle Stop to keep your cpu in its top multis? If not its recomended. This turbo button if it boosts things to high and whatbits boosting is important then perhaps its an issue of baseclock,ram,pci clocks or who knows... what does manual say the turbo boosts? If using hwinfo be sure that its latest revision there was a new one very recent that greatly improved performance... you could be experiencing some lag when the sensors readings were going. Has to be something software if that turbo button isnt overdoing anything. Try playing games with AVG disabled... Check all setting could be avg is doing realtime scans on entire games as they run. I have had issues of that on some AV software. I am no longer a user of AVG amongst many others. Panda cloud antivirus is powerful and i beleive the smallest AV in the world... Plus it uses server resources for scans so your system only needs to guard. Its free if you didnt pay for AVG id say give Panda a try... its completely up to you but i would launch a few apps with task manager and see what avg services are doing look at their file location to find the ones by AVG. Could be your i5 is being loaded a lot by your AV. Microsoft Security Essentials is a good light weight free one too and has higher detection rate than about 75% of even paid AV software as well as Panda about the same. Otherwise square one Marcus sift through your backround processes... Something is consuming resources on the sli... Where i mention the av software the usual av suspects of resource usage is on demand realtime scans so any file read or written to HD is read before being written and while being read by an app...this puts a lot of overhead on cpu and the harddrive since multiple access may occur due to this...the other that comes to mind is called heuristic scanning and advanced heuristics... Its extra checks on running software to see if its malware or spyware and not just virus... Hoepfully you get to the bottom of it. Have you checked DLP Latency or what not? I know theres an app to run which shows if hardware itself is causing delays right?

Thank you for your time in helping me solve my problem. Anyway. What do you mean by 100% usage? I use my laptop on surfing the web and games and sometimes, some microsoft word for school work and that's about it. Nope, I don't use throttle stop because I don't know about this. How do I activate it or is there in app that I would download for this to be activated? I haven't read the manual about the turbo button but as the advertising say, it boosts about 20% of the performance and I think it overclocks the cpu but not so sure about this. I am using the OpenHardware to monitor my temps but I downloaded the CPUID HWmonitor to monitor my battery wear level.

Hmm. Maybe I'll try to disable the AVG while playing games, maybe it's the one causing my laptop to lag. So you think that I should switch to MSE or to the one you're recommending to which is Panda cloud? What is DLP latency btw? Sorry, I don't know much about the things you were telling me.

Really grateful of your assistance on helping me to solve. Thanks again.

If AVG was free yes uninstall and use MSE or Panda most of use find MSE to be outstanding so i recommend MSE if you want less work done by pc on AV software use that Panda Cloud one. StamatisX is correct i meant the latency he mentioned it can cause major lag doing anything in a system if it exists. We use throttle stop to fully utilize cpu most don't see full potential without it. Go to throttle stop thread on main forum page and go to throttle stop guide post by Unclewebb. Go to Tech Inferno download page to get it its a tab at top of site page saying Downloads. Anything else we may assist with. try this run all as you do. Check that latency with tool post results here. Do this with that turbo button off... Change AV software. Then when system is sure to be working run that turbo button and see if you have any issues running anything on the system again.