Repeating blue screen of death

Leo14

Updated drivers.. still happening =( don't feel like calling dell and having to deal with them.. any other ways to get to the bottom of this besides calling them?

how bout this try this software and see if it reveals more of the offending driver etc. you"ll need to hit analyze and hopefully your system saved a bsod file dump. This software is free. can you copy and paste its diagnosis maybe we can help. other than that yeah you may need to call Dell be patient never take no.

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

1st crash dump

On Fri 1/13/2012 2:20:10 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011312-23727-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8007FC6A10, 0xFFFFF800046433D8, 0xFFFFFA800BE12010)

Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

15th crash dump (out of 33)

On Wed 1/11/2012 5:19:43 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011112-24960-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8007A0BA10, 0xFFFFF8000462D3D8, 0xFFFFFA80078495B0)

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Also, BF3 wont run.. Tried to do benchmarking and I got an error saying you must have direct x 11, said my current version was 10.1? Possibly from the beta drivers?

1st crash dump

On Fri 1/13/2012 2:20:10 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011312-23727-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8007FC6A10, 0xFFFFF800046433D8, 0xFFFFFA800BE12010)

15th crash dump (out of 33)

On Wed 1/11/2012 5:19:43 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011112-24960-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA8007A0BA10, 0xFFFFF8000462D3D8, 0xFFFFFA80078495B0)

Also, BF3 wont run.. Tried to do benchmarking and I got an error saying you must have direct x 11, said my current version was 10.1? Possibly from the beta drivers?

Leo I'm going to recommend this then. Download all files from Dell directly and use their drivers for the 460m instead of NVIDIA this time. Make sure you have uninstalled the NVIDIA driver completely and use a registry cleaner if you can to make sure old entries aren't causing you more errors. If it's easy enough download "driver sweeper" I think guru3d.com hosts it. That software will dig through all files and registry and allow you to delete them... do this before installing the latest Dell driver. In driversweeper you select NVIDIA and hit analyze if it shows anything hit clean and let system restart.

To be extra sure I go to device manager and under display adapters should read vga adapter if it says 460m hit uninstall and check the box which says delete the driver too... Again restart.

Get Dells official drivers installed and got ahead and see if bsod is recurring and especially if you can launch games now. If you still get bsod and games won't launch then even the "who crashed" said it was not hardware but driver related... If by following the above steps you have same issue then I also recommend as Brian that you call Dell and have them take responsibility for this matter. Hopefully its resolved...

One other thing are you using any software's which interact with the graphics card. If you use HWinfo if it's not properly set in its configuration options it is very easy to have issues like this especially with older versions or latest version not set right for your hardware. That is just a guess if you don't use hwinfo then disregard if you do make sure you have it configured right I'll add a link to this post of a all in one guide/review I wrote of hwinfo you can brush up on it if you are a hwinfo user.

http://forum.techinferno.com/pc-gaming/323-you-need-these-trouble-free-gaming.html?highlight=trouble+free+gaming

Check there for needed files for most games such as DirectX, open al, physx, .netfx etc

http://forum.techinferno.com/t%7Ci-member-product-reviews/1416-hwinfo.html#post17375

Check here to configure hwinfo

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
^ Thank you so much, everything is fixed and that helped, i just never replied for some reason sorry. Back to owning :D

Leo14 that awesome its all working now good to hear its taken care of. Cheers! If you need any other help dont hesitate to ask. Hope your enjoying your time here at Tech Inferno ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the BSOD's stopped for a little while, than after OC'ing my GPU for a while, the BSOD's came back! :( They have been going on over and over again, even after I uninstalled the OC program (afterburner 2.0) Going to try to update my drivers for my 460 as I just saw there were newer ones.. hoping that fixes this/my lack of performance with this thing =/

Well, the BSOD's stopped for a little while, than after OC'ing my GPU for a while, the BSOD's came back! :( They have been going on over and over again, even after I uninstalled the OC program (afterburner 2.0) Going to try to update my drivers for my 460 as I just saw there were newer ones.. hoping that fixes this/my lack of performance with this thing =/

hey bud im sorry to hear that my friend :( can you use latest verde drivers? what clocks on the gpu did you try? And what is your test bed... some games?

Edited by mw86

Wow didn't even know the verde drivers came out, well I haven't done that much gaming recently but I also haven't seen any BSOD's after the driver update.. Should I still DL the latest verde drivers? IIRC.. 150+, but started off with 50, than 100, than up'd them 150.. Always kept the GPU side hovering in the air basically, temps usually were at 60C and sometimes I would see them go up to highest 63, maybe I've seen it at 65 at one point but that was not for very long. Not sure what you mean by test bed.. but I play BF3 on high and some ultra settings, always getting perfect framerate (no choppyness) with the OC it was around 60 fps nowadays its more around 30, which is still fine for me if it is that low because it is still smooth. Also play LoL and get 100~ fps.

Wow didn't even know the verde drivers came out, well I haven't done that much gaming recently but I also haven't seen any BSOD's after the driver update.. Should I still DL the latest verde drivers? IIRC.. 150+, but started off with 50, than 100, than up'd them 150.. Always kept the GPU side hovering in the air basically, temps usually were at 60C and sometimes I would see them go up to highest 63, maybe I've seen it at 65 at one point but that was not for very long. Not sure what you mean by test bed.. but I play BF3 on high and some ultra settings, always getting perfect framerate (no choppyness) with the OC it was around 60 fps nowadays its more around 30, which is still fine for me if it is that low because it is still smooth. Also play LoL and get 100~ fps.

yeah by test bed just meant what you do to check for errors and gpu issues like bsod.... so its up to you if no probs you can stick with that driver or try this one i think you can use it :) usually new drivers bring great stability and improvement atleast we always hope... you can always go back to the one your on :) just be sure to use driver sweeper to erase remaining registry entries and uninstall and check delete driver from the device manager on the gpu before install. http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/1602-%5Bdesktop-mobile%5D-nvidia-geforce-296-10-whql.html

Well, the updates definitely helped slow the BSOD's from coming in, but they still happen. Usually in game, and running on high performance. Temps are still normal, but it is quite hot on the bottom of my laptop/the surface it is on. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I always am using a headset/mouse (razer megaladon/razer mamba) Also, found some pictures from when I did this a couple days ago..

When I did update though, I didn't use driver sweeper.. Should I do that, than re-install 296.10? I'm really hoping this isn't a hardware issue, and just something gone wrong inside a file or something.. still can't get AlienFX to work properly either lmao. Hoping once I get the BSOD's to stop, AlienFX will work to.

Well, I sat on the phone with dell/alienware for a while and after them not being able to fix the LED's they said they were going to send keyboard/motherboard/GFX card O_o? I felt like it was too good to be true, and I didn't know I even had that kind of coverage roflmao. They fixed the blue screens though. I don't know what they did, but they did benchmarking for me and with heaven something score was 601. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks man :D yeah, it's awesome! They did it today in 30 minutes. Just realized I need to flash my bios as its on A04, hoping than I can change my keyboard colors because I still can't do that LOL. They even replaced the whole area around my keyboard to, and in the front :D

Mmm still can't change my keyboard colors and what not.. and just got a blue screen before O_o Also, when I turned it off/turned it back on it started beeping.. did that before when the guy was testing it after he installed all the parts

• 2 weeks later...
Sending it to dell and letting them just replace more stuff

Bud scrutinize every inch of it when it gets back sometimes they are spot on, other times the break your plastics or worse. Just give it the best check-over when its back you have ever done. I hope its right this time around you've been with issue for months much like I had been and I don't think anyone should have to go through that... every month value is lopst as we all know we payed quite a premium for our babies :)

Bud scrutinize every inch of it when it gets back sometimes they are spot on, other times the break your plastics or worse. Just give it the best check-over when its back you have ever done. I hope its right this time around you've been with issue for months much like I had been and I don't think anyone should have to go through that... every month value is lopst as we all know we payed quite a premium for our babies :)

Getting it back Monday so I will definitely check thank you for the heads up! I hope they don't break anything =/ yeah me too, this same problem is killing me.. I agree with you 100% on that! :D

Got it back few hours ago, noticed right away the lighting issue I had was still there, than not even an hour of use it blue screens! -_- they replaced the MLB and Blue Tooth.

the exterior is fine though, I can't believe they sent me this piece of paper saying "The system was diagnosed and extensively tested by certified technicians to ensure the problem you experienced was corrected" because, clearly, both aren't fixed. If they would have diagnosed they would have saw the blue screens and saw that I cant change the stupid LED's. Now waiting for them to call back so I can re install windows -_- what a lovely day

Edited by Leo14

Got it back few hours ago, noticed right away the lighting issue I had was still there, than not even an hour of use it blue screens! -_- they replaced the MLB and Blue Tooth.

the exterior is fine though, I can't believe they sent me this piece of paper saying "The system was diagnosed and extensively tested by certified technicians to ensure the problem you experienced was corrected" because, clearly, both aren't fixed. If they would have diagnosed they would have saw the blue screens and saw that I cant change the stupid LED's. Now waiting for them to call back so I can re install windows -_- what a lovely day

one of my depot repairs was like that I felt dsame.. way oon how any of these get past them... good luck for round two buddy :(

Damn =/ thanks man, going to just try to figure out how to properly re install windows 7 and just do it myself rather than having them walk me through it, as they call back at the worst times!