EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
ZapCord

2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [ZapCord]

On 3/6/2016 at 1:57 PM, razvani said:

Guys,

I'm trying to make a 970 work with a 2013 15'' iris MBP and it's only working with an external screen. I'm getting a black screen every time I start with the eGPU connected. I tried several startup procedures.

How do I get Optimus working?

I'm using the newest nvidia 362 drivers on Win10 64bit.

Hmm, that is really weird. I have upgraded to 362.00 as well and it hasn't affected Optimus for me.

Did you clean install the drivers or were they "express installed?"

If you didn't clean install the drivers, perhaps you should try it.

However, it probably isn't a good idea to try the 364.47 driver yet as it is known to cause various problems. More on that here

I hope that helps somehow.

Anyone else have any ideas?

No luck for me , I installed a fresh Windows10 (EFI) today when I read optimus finally worked on Windows10 , but for my case my games still run on integrated gpu , my model is 13" mbp late 2013 , I installed the latest boot camp and all the apple driver .

At first I installed the latest nvidia driver (364.75 if not mistaken) then optimus dint work so I uninstalled all the nvidia driver and installed 361.75 but it's still the same . My system do detect my gpu and the zotac fire storm worked as well but my egpu is always in idle state.my setup works on Windows8.1 . Anyone can help me please I am so frustrated with this problem

On 3/5/2016 at 1:57 PM, razvani said:

Guys,

I'm trying to make a 970 work with a 2013 15'' iris MBP and it's only working with an external screen. I'm getting a black screen every time I start with the eGPU connected. I tried several startup procedures.

How do I get Optimus working?

I'm using the newest nvidia 362 drivers on Win10 64bit.

Sorry for being really, really late. Uni has been taking time...

Just the other day, I accidentally broke Optimus and the eGPU only worked only on an external monitor. Confused about why it was doing so, I thought of an SMC and PRAM reset.

Link to SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Link to PRAM reset: http://guides.macrumors.com/Zapping_The_PRAM

Everything went back to normal after those were reset; Optimus worked again on Windows 10 for me.

Maybe try those?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By damianalex
      Hi,
      I want to show you my new project.
      I bought my laptop about 5 years ago.  It was never speed deamon, but for every day use, it was enough to me.

Its specification:
      Intel i7-4700MQ
      Nvidia GeForce GT745M
      16GB RAM
      512 SSD Adata SU800

Yesterday I bought Witcher 3. Of course on 1080p it's impossible to play, because of about 10fps

So I make a decision to buy external grahpic card.
      I choose GTX970 and now I am looking for occasion to buy it.

I've already bought EXP GDC v8.4d mPCI-E. It is used and cost about 30$.

I will use ATX PSU to supply graphic card, because I have old desktop PSU at home.

My plan:
      1) unlock bios
      2) buy GTX 970
      3) enjoy Witcher 3!

BTW I try to cool down my laptop, so I replaced thermal paste to Kryonout Thermal Grizzly and make some tests. Temperatures and fps are on screenshots.

1) laptop on table, playing GTA V 1080p

- first minute (GPU core 1045MHz)

-after some time, because of high temperature and GPU throlttling (GPU core drop down even to 400MHz)

2) with thermalpad Glacier NC400 SilentiumPC

- 30 minute and longer (GPU core drop to about 900MHz)

3) without down case of laptop (like on picture with thermal paste) on thermalpad.
      Here laptop never drops down MHz and max temp are about 72 Celsius degrees.

Bacause of that I bought second down case for my laptop and I will cut there additional holes.

Greetings!

I will describe next step when I get all stuff I need!

• By zepvalue
      Hello guys,
      Thanks for this incredible forum, I hope I will learn a lot from the gurus ! 

I am trying to make my eGpu MSI GT X970 work on my laptop   with K1100M integrated GPU. 

This are my specs:
      CPU: 2.7GHz Intel Core i7-4800MQ (quad-core, 6MB cache, up to 3.7GHz with Turbo Boost) PSU : ??? Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M / Intel HD Graphics 4600 RAM: 32 GB Storage: 1TB

I got a V8.0 EXP GDC Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock  with the express card version ( I am not really hw savy) and I am looking for a good psu to power my MSI GTX 970 4G  
      Could you kindly suggest a good PSU that i could use to power this GPU ? I am also willing to do as many experiments needed

Thanks for reading my post
      -zepvalue

• By Edward09
      Hello everyone,
      I am a newbie in this forum and I've known about eGpu for just a few days. So i want to ask you some questions. I have an HP Elitebook 8570p and this is my specs : 
       Intel core i5-3320m
       VGA: AMD HD 7570m
      I am planning to use an EXP GDC beast 8.0 and there are 2 options i am wondering : radeon r9 380 and gtx 970. I like r9 380 more because it's cheaper, but someone says it's hard to set up an AMD card for a laptop which also have AMD dGPU . IN the other hand,a GTx is easier to set up and have better performance. SO which one should i buy ?
      Another question : As I know a core I5 CPU always have integrated card Intel HD 4000 on it, but when I check in the device manager there's only dGPU Radeon 7570m. Is it possible for me to use an EGPU?
      Sorry for my English . Please help me and thanks in advance
    • By Irons324
      So, I sold my eGPU setup, which was a GTX 970 in a Thunder2 enclosure using a Corsair VS550 psu. Worked fine when I owned it, my MacBook died, so I've sold it to a friend. 

Set it up fine on his mid 2012 MBP no worries, everything seemed to work fine at first. Now, a day later, every time he loads heroes of the storm (or any game for that matter) the computer black screens and resets, throws up a GPU panic error code. Sometimes it will last a little longer than others, but the predominate issue is that the fans often aren't spinning when the radiator gets hot. The fans work, because they spin up on start up. 

Ideas for what could be causing this issue?

Thanks.
    • By omarion-88
      Hi everybody,
      For some time I have been trying to solve a problem between my akitio and my graphics card. Yesterday, when I connected the port thunderbolt to my macbook, the fans of the graphics card were working. But the card was not connected.

While the Akitio was running, I unplugged / reconnected the graphics card. The graphics card turned on and off, and I smelled a burning smell. This morning, I tried the graphics card on a PC, and it works well. Moreover the Akitio is detected by my macbook.

It seems that the PCI port does not work? How can I test the PCI port? Do you think I have to return the Thunder2.

Yohan

Config :

-Akitio thunder2
      -RM450 (connect cart and akitio)
      -GTX 970

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.