XMG P724 / P370SM-A Severe throttling issues on the 880m GPU

rothomson

Hi guys, i been dissapointed with my frame rates with my latest laptop for ages. well finally i get around to disgnosing my problems. and what ive found is that my gpu is firing right up to 93 degrees and flatlineing there by severly cutting my clock speeds. in the most resource intensive games my clock speeds are dropping below 400mhz to try and maintain 93degrees on the core. now i think 93 degrees is far too hot even if it was getting the clock speeds it was supposed to. Every time i mention it to schenker they find it unbelieveable because im the first person to complain to them about the gtx880m and they say theres no evidence on the internet to say

"We have seen the discussions on forums about the 880M performance, I would note the following:

- you are actually the first person to report any issues directly to our company

- most people are experiencing throttling issues whilst overclocking rather than at stock speeds

- throttling and clock speed reduction in some games has been resolved with driver updates, as reported on nbr"

Well i have sent them a few emails with attachments containing readouts from GPU-z while i run games and they clearly show my throttling issues. and if i look at gpu-z while gaming its all purple on the graph saying its throttling due to thermal issues.

Been running like this since i bought the laptop and just cant get it to run games properly without severe throttling that gets as low as 398mhz on the core :/ no wonder my laptop feels slower to game on than my old laptop with 7970m lol

what are my options? to my the gtx 880m just seems useless.

Cheers, Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, i been dissapointed with my frame rates with my latest laptop for ages. well finally i get around to disgnosing my problems. and what ive found is that my gpu is firing right up to 93 degrees and flatlineing there by severly cutting my clock speeds. in the most resource intensive games my clock speeds are dropping below 400mhz to try and maintain 93degrees on the core. now i think 93 degrees is far too hot even if it was getting the clock speeds it was supposed to. Every time i mention it to schenker they find it unbelieveable because im the first person to complain to them about the gtx880m and they say theres no evidence on the internet to say

"We have seen the discussions on forums about the 880M performance, I would note the following:

- you are actually the first person to report any issues directly to our company

- most people are experiencing throttling issues whilst overclocking rather than at stock speeds

- throttling and clock speed reduction in some games has been resolved with driver updates, as reported on nbr"

Well i have sent them a few emails with attachments containing readouts from GPU-z while i run games and they clearly show my throttling issues. and if i look at gpu-z while gaming its all purple on the graph saying its throttling due to thermal issues.

Been running like this since i bought the laptop and just cant get it to run games properly without severe throttling that gets as low as 398mhz on the core :/ no wonder my laptop feels slower to game on than my old laptop with 7970m lol

what are my options? to my the gtx 880m just seems useless.

Cheers, Rob

I would contact them again you have purchased a new machine and it is not performing as expected,request an rma so they can investigate and rectify the issue,it could simply be a case or requiring a video card reseating-repasting but it is in warranty so use it...

There will always be rare cases of defective products and someone has to be first so dont be fobbed off...

if could be something terminal or it could be something simple

ask for the service and product you purchased...

I myself would reset and repaste if you know what your doing and are careful you wont void your warranty if still having issue request that all important rma and let the pros look into it for you.

indeed! :D i had a boring afternoon on saturday and an urge to play games, so i set about it! I found the thermal paste wasn't applied properly and was like powder. So it cleaned it all up. and applied some AS5 paste and carefully and properly positioned the heatsink onto the GPU. i proceeded to tape up the large air gaps in both coolers with HVAC tape. and its running amazingly now. only reason it drops below 993mhz during intensive games is due to lack of power to the core sometimes according to GPU-Z. i guess this would be easy to fix if i could increase power to the core in software. But still. im worried my gpu wont last so long having being used at such high temps for so long.

i think you need to flash Svl7's vbios to be able to override the default power limits for the 880m. im just starting to tinker on mine as well. stock on my Alienware 18 they run the same, repasted with Liquid Pro they still dropped to 700mhz so far with temps only around 70-75 when clocks start to drop from the power limit.