M17X Project: Legacy

I might flash it to the m18x 580M bios, if someone could dump out the VBIOS for them via gpu-Z or something similar. I'll ask around if I come to that.

I have some 580m VBIOS files from the Dell 580m here... one from the r3 and one from the M18x, found them online, here you go:

Dell 580m package.zip

• Thumbs Up 2

I have some 580m VBIOS files from the Dell 580m here... one from the r3 and one from the M18x, found them online, here you go:

Sweet! I'll try them later on today if my driver mods don't work.

I tried using both nVflash for DOS and Windows. The windows version wouldn't even let me type anything and the DOS version says it can't detect the cards. I'm using the latest version for both.

Edit: Nevermind, nvflash DOS works. Apparently there was even a newer version that supports newer nVidia cards. However, after reflashing, it still doesn't activate SLi :(

1211 580m.zip

Edited by ichime

Thanks for the help, but I tried that and it still didn't work. From the research I've done so far, it seems that there's a different type of SLi Certification/Trigger in the M18x and the Clevo X7200 BIOSes that allows it to install the newer cards in SLi.

• 1 month later...

Tried it, didn't work. I've concluded (or close to concluding based on everything I tried) that it has something to do with the power supply. The drivers probably disables SLi if there isn't enough power available for the system I'm guessing. I'll need that 330w PSU mod to verify this or someone with a M18x and 580M SLi to try using a 240w on it (vs the 330w one) to see if the SLi option disappears.

Tried it, didn't work. I've concluded (or close to concluding based on everything I tried) that it has something to do with the power supply. The drivers probably disables SLi if there isn't enough power available for the system I'm guessing. I'll need that 330w PSU mod to verify this or someone with a M18x and 580M SLi to try using a 240w on it (vs the 330w one) to see if the SLi option disappears.

Probably no need to test as they might not even sell M18x with a 240 when sold with dual 580m.... so maybe you need 2x240watt or 1x 330watt modded to work on R2?

• 5 weeks later...

@ichime, have you made any progress on this project? I should be receiving my spare base and lid in the next few days. Havn't decided what I want to do with it. Either keep my system silver (color of new parts) or powder coat, paint or anodize. Anodizing would be perferred, however I'm guessing much more costly. Painting may look tacky, and wear very easy. Powder coating I feel may cheapen the feel if it. Still have some deciding to do, and wanted to see if you had made progress or how it turned out.

Hey guys, sry I haven't been around lately. As for this project, I'll probably restart the anodizing portion sometime in the beginning of next year. I've learned a lot about this process and I'll probably get even better results this time around.

Also, to mw's quote, I believe they sold the 240w PSU with the M18x when equipped with the GTX 460M single or SLi.

• 6 months later...

BTW, project is not dead, but I'm going to be giving this machine a facelift...

2012051419031058.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, I'm going to try to anodize my old frame (Again, I know). This time, I'm just going to let the anodizing company do all the surface prep since they would take care of all the potential comtaminates and stuff (surface has to be really clean if you want to get a good finish). Hopefully I'll get something before the end of the month.

In the meantime, I ordered the new Sony Optiarc BD-5850H (6x BD-R slot-load) to keep this system up to date along with the 7970Ms (whenever Eurocom decides to ship them :( )

Edited by ichime

• 2 months later...

Project is not dead yet :)

Shell is ANODIZED blue, thanks to Rob at Able Anodizing in Brooklyn, NY, looks even better in person!

Also, has two Radeon 7970Ms as well as a Sony Optiarc BD-5850H 6x Blu-Ray burner (a lot quieter than the older panasonic DVD burner I had).

Next plan is installing the custom grille I made that sits below the palmrest. I'll take pictures of that once that's done. In the meantime, I hope you like :)

20120729175554914.th.jpg

20120729173633735.th.jpg

201207291736471.th.jpg

20120729173659760.th.jpg

201207291737461.th.jpg

20120729175153992.th.jpg

2012072917495055.th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

oh nice! @ichime with the 7970s do you have the CPU OCed?

I have all the CPU stuff disabled (no fsb oc or turbo boost) since power consumption for the system will max out my 240w adapter

EDIT:

Custom matte grille with speaker splitters removed:

20120804181936579.th.jpg

20120804181956190.th.jpg

20120804183030632.th.jpg

20120804183055737.th.jpg

20120804183115168.th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

ichmime, i bow down to your brilliance in getting this project done! When you can, could you update your sig with all of the alterations you have made? It would be very cool to see a full list on what you have done so far at a glance.

What I would be interested in seeing you do, is how would would go about replacing the glass plate and make the screen matte texture again. I think that would look excellent with the right border material around the LCD itself :).