7970m Memory Clock Behaviour

nylon

guys, i did a repaste yesterday, since i had high temps when playing games (once 88°C).

got better now but still have kinda high idle temps on my gpu. (like around 58°C).

and i'm pretty sure repasting was done good, since i never had problem with that.

it seem like this high temps came when i peplaced my vbios chip.

could this have to do with being on 1.000v not undervolted?

(have been on 0.975v before, because of throttling, but with this vbios 1.000v works fine)

when checking sensors with hwinfo i saw mem clock being at 1199mhz when idling..

i think i remember it clocking down when not in 3D state etc.. isn't it like that?

i have a 015.019 clevo vbios. no issue when playing etc except temps.

here is a screen of the gpu part in hwinfo:

post-9892-14494995950956_thumb.png

================================================================================

EDIT:

i did some tests. i now saw, that when using a monitor with my display port, mem clock stays high at 1199mhz.

when i disconnect the monitor, it goes back to 149mhz. is this normal? this is the reason for my idle temp to go up.

without connected monitor thru DP, my idel temps are around 39°C..

================================================================================

I've seen your screenprint of HWinfo and I see that it recorded a vddc max of 1.00v. Does the voltage change as well when you're using DP?

edit: Nvm, I didn't see that you have 3D clocks there too so you probably ran an app that triggered 3D mode and the voltage.

So judging from your screenprint DP works with 0.825v with no voltage change at all? The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure out what other states these cards have. GPUshark only reports the normal 2D and 3D states.

That's how the powerplay of that card is set up, full memory clocks when an external monitor is used. Really stupid, causes a distinct increase in temps.

Same with the Nvidia cards btw, e.g. 680m runs at full memory clocks as soon as a second monitor is attached.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen your screenprint of HWinfo and I see that it recorded a vddc max of 1.00v. Does the voltage change as well when you're using DP?

edit: Nvm, I didn't see that you have 3D clocks there too so you probably ran an app that triggered 3D mode and the voltage.

So judging from your screenprint DP works with 0.825v with no voltage change at all? The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure out what other states these cards have. GPUshark only reports the normal 2D and 3D states.