Lenovo y500 Missing 16GB SSD after full wipe.

ZEROleafSK8ER

Hi guys I recently wiped my entire HDD as well as the partitions in there. I re-installed windows 8 and installed the drivers. After the long initial boot time I noticed that the laptop was running sluggish. I restarted and instead of going from Lenovo-> windows sign in screen. It boots up Lenovo-> Windows logo-> windows sign in screen. I went into my computer and the 16GB SSD used for caching was not present. I opened up Disk management and the only drive visible was my 1TB HDD. Can you guys help me out please! I'm really not sure what I did wrong if anything. I'm new here as you can tell by my post counter but I am not a total noob with Pc's. I also tried searching in the forums and couldn't find anything. Thank You very much in advanced!

You switched to legacy to install Windows 8? If Yes, then you ditched UEFI that's why you have longer boot time, this is the reason it goes from Lenovo -> Windows logo - windows sign in. You should install Windows 8 in UEFI mod, create bootable USB image with Rufus tool. Check on the forum the posts are there for this. Regarding the 16GB SSD I am sure is there in your disk management you just have to create a partition for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you very much Florin for your advice and your time. You were 100% correct I did install it in legacy mode. I followed your advice and also found this thread ( http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4306-lenovo-ideapad-y480-2-5-ssd-uefi.html ) in which you you provided some more info. I re-installed windows 8 in UEFI and my laptop is snappy again! Thank you again your time and willing to help me out with this. I was considering sending it in for repair :-/ the 16GB SSD is still not present in the file browser under my computer as well as when I look in disk management. I'm not sure what I have to do to enable it. Perhaps it is damaged and the PC isn't recognizing it.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the disk management? Also, please run cmd as administrator type "diskpart" then "list disk" -> does it show you 2 disks? Disk 0 and Disk 1? If so, then you ssd is alive you just have to create it. look up the id of the disk by the size of it, you'll see the 16gb size, then type "select disk 0 or 1" depends by the ID. Afterwards type "clean" followed by the next command "convert GPT". You can go in disk management after and create a partition on it.

Hmm, indeed strange. The only thing now left is for you to open the notebook and check the msata SSD. Take it out and plug it in again. One question though, are you really sure you had a 16GB SSD? Not all Lenovo IdeaPads come with the 16GB SSD. Some of them have the msata missing.

Yes sir, I'm 100% positive that it came with it. I would even sometimes try to put files in there on accident and it wouldn't allow me to. Ok, i'll open her up and try to unplug then re-plug the msata SSD back in. I'll keep you posted on my findings. Thanks again Florin you really have helped me out through all this.

I opened the notebook and took the msata ssd out and put it back in. After restarting the notebook the msata ssd was nowhere to be found in diskpart or disk management. I'm starting to think that the msata ssd crapped out on me :( I purchased the notebook brand new back in may so there's no reason it would malfunction so soon, but who knows. I added a picture of the msata ssd sitting there mocking me. I'm not sure if this is useful but I guess it wouldn't hurt to say the reason I formatted my HDD and re installed windows in the fisrt place. It was because it would get stuck booting. It would stay at the Lenovo screen for 5-10 min, then try to recover itself and fail. post-16375-14494995954203_thumb.jpg

Okay then, maybe that is your reason the booting took 5-10 min, the BIOS checks each device and the SSD was causing problems. You can send the notebook to service, I know it's a pain but the alternative is to buy a new msata ssd.

You have a SanDisk mSATA SSD? o_O Mine is a Samsung 16GB SSD

Yeah mine is the SanDisk U100 16GB. I thought all Y400/Y500 used this one for the SSD cache but I guess not. This is the first time I've heard about the Samsung.

I'm going to replace it I suppose :/ I use my laptop way to much to send it away for a few weeks. I was thinking about replacing it with a Plextor M5M anyways. I guess I have to now. Now I just hope that the actual motherboard isn't failing and that it recognizes the new msata ssd. Thank you for all your help Florin I really appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...