How do I control the GPU fan on a new version CLEVO P150EM that does not support FN+1

I just bought this awesome machine days ago and flashed it with a VBIOS that allowed me to OC to about 1100MHz/2400MHz with my GTX675MX. However, now the cooling is some how insufficient. Is there any way like modifying the BIOS or the VBIOS so that I can control the GPU fan manually?

- - - Updated - - -

Or is there any more efficient heatsink in the market suitable for my P150EM

The problem with the P150EM's GPU cooling is not the design, but the build quality. Clevo flattens the heatpipes onto a copper plate that is too thin to not be bent by the pressure. If you take off the heatsink and look at the cooler under the heatpipes, you'll see very distinct grooves where the GPU die makes contact with the cooler. I dropped temperatures by over 10C by lapping the heatsink on a countertop edge. You can screw up the lapping and make things worse, so be careful. The CPU cooler has this problem too.

Prema has a modded EC that will allow forcing the fans to high, which is the best you can do for manual control. For me it drops temps by 10C, but the fans are so loud I only use it for testing.

There is no heatsink you can buy to replace it. The P170EM and P150EM have identical GPU coolers. Only the CPU cooler is inferior on the P150 (aluminum instead of copper radiator).

• Thumbs Up 1

I've finally bought a screw driver that fits the screws in the P150EM and opened it up. I checked for the bending problem but I think my coolers are all ok, and my CPU cooler is copper :21_002: so now I should try out the vBIOS or BIOS way?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is not 100% related but I too had some cooling insufficiency on my Clevo M571RU, mainly on the CPU side. The northbridge heatsink was pretty much useless too, there was a 2mm gap between the base of the heatsink and the core, and they were using thermal pads to solve(poorly) the problem.

Tried pretty much everything until one day I realized that it was better to made the custom parts myself. Started with the northbridge, I was noticing some discomfortable heat exactly on the area of the northbridge, in the palmrest. At the same time I was having some difficulties regarding overclocking +20Mhz over the stock FSB. Since the RAM timings were quite relaxed and I was certain that I was suffering memory controller instability. Using an old cooler of one ATI X800 I made the necessary modifications for it to fit, including a spring retention system that natively was absent. That way I eliminated the gap between the base and the core, and the dissipation capacity was improved greatly. I started being able to OC to +30Mhz over stock FSB without any problems and without the same heat in the palmrest.

Then I organized my efforts to the CPU heatsing. Since little could be done to improve the little and flimsy single heatpipe, I tried to improve the contact between the base and the heatpipe using a shroud that would improve the native one sided transfer to all over the heatpipe. I then realized that I had an old MOSFET heatsink laing around and I tried to alter it to fit the base of the heatsink, spreading the heat to the opposing side since I had some room there. Used some Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy and glued the two pieces. The CPU temps decreased significantly, and I was finally able to use my system without headphones to muffle the noise of the cpu fan(joking).

I refitted the cooper heatsinks in the GPU heatsing too, using the same Artic Silver Thermal Epoxy.

Before(sry no better one):

image047mm9.jpg

Now:

clevo.jpg

So my recommendation is, if you have the necessary tools try to add more metal to the heatsing, improve it somehow. Don't fix the problem with more noise, you will be fed up soon after.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

NOt sure if this is the right place, as the post seems old..but, I have an issue that my CPU fan is spinning like mad when only being pushed a bit. The GPU fan never seems to do too much, but am not able to check this. Wil thie P170sm bios allow me to see what the fans are doing? I only ask as am thinking a new fan is needed but not sure

9 hours ago, Keejteej said:

NOt sure if this is the right place, as the post seems old..but, I have an issue that my CPU fan is spinning like mad when only being pushed a bit. The GPU fan never seems to do too much, but am not able to check this. Wil thie P170sm bios allow me to see what the fans are doing? I only ask as am thinking a new fan is needed but not sure

You can check temperatures and fan speeds under the "sensors" section of HWINFO64.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, downloaded HWInfo and seems great utility. When using that I saw  as shown below in images if they attach right. From what I read the cores and GPU do not seem too hot, but I am no expert. At the RPM's shown the fan is making a horrid whirring noise that irt never used to do, and is on the left of the laptop as you look at it, which I believe is the CPU fan.  All has been cleaned out, the vents are all clear and everythign connected and free of dust.

Any ideas or should I try to replace the fan? Or could I need to use new thermal paste (am not sure as temps do not seem high)

Thanks all, have fun :)

Anthony

GPU temp.png

CPU temp.png