sev7en

[DIY] iMagic pi mini ITX Case with AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box and GTX1060 mini

iMagic pi mini ITX Case with AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box and GTX1060 mini

Dears,

I would share with you that idea/project: a custom solution to make inside the iMagic pi mini ITX Case my EGPU powering a MacBook Pro 13" Late 2013.

I cannot see something like that :P

post-2931-0-86095500-1483891706_thumb.jp

and that...

post-2931-0-72407200-1483891714_thumb.jp

and... it is the reason I purchased from Amazon the case below (still not arrived):

post-2931-0-62732800-1483891759_thumb.pn

As first some details and benchmark about my current system, a Macbook Pro 13" Late 2013, i5 with 8Gb of RAM and 256Gb PCIe SSD.

post-2931-0-02122900-1483803682.png

post-2931-0-61282000-1483803683_thumb.pn

post-2931-0-15473100-1483803666_thumb.pn

post-2931-0-12740200-1483803668_thumb.pn post-2931-0-77579000-1483803670_thumb.pn

post-2931-0-67169500-1483803672_thumb.pn

- POST UNDER CONSTRUCTION -

@reserved.

Edited by sev7en

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By UDPSendToFailed
      As the title says, i want to kill thermal throttling, and force CPU & IGP to max clock. My problem is the microlags in games in every 2 seconds, because the chip goes 85℃. The stock fan is died, but i made some cooling for it. I don't really care about hardware damage,  just want to do things without lags for some time. The CPU is I3 2310M, with InsydeH2O BIOS. 
    • By MacFreekDotKext
      I am running Windows build 16193 (Redstone 3) on a portable SSD as Windows to go. And macOS Sierra 10.12.4.
      Windows to Go was created using EasyUEFI's wintousb program.
      I have previously used Windows 8.1 to success and 10 which needed DSDT override. 

This is a guide on how i get Windows 16193 working successfully with RX 480:
      1. Leave Thunderbolt cable unplugged from Mac before turning it on.
      2. Press option to load Windows to go Portable SSD Windows 10 16193 build.
      3. Enter DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 with iGPU connected only. Configure it as:
      Press 3 to enter Menu based setup PCI Compaction 》 Legacy mode checked 》 Closeunusedbridges checked 》 ignore none 》 Endpoint 》 56.25GB-36bit 》 Run compact 》 iGPU 》 force iGPU to 32-bit Chainload mbr Select Windows 10  from OS selection menu As soon as the Windows logo comes up hotplug eGPU. When OS is about to load up, change display output to Displayport.  
      Voila!
      Every time you want this do be done automatically, reboot into DIY eGPU  Setup 1.35 and hit ENTER (or allow 10s countdown to do it for you) on the default option 2 "automated startup via startup.bat".

The Setup:

1. Use paperclip trick to get PSU turned on without motherboard.
      2. Two molex connectors from psu to rocketstor 6361a molex connections. To give power to 6361a motherboard.
      3. 8 Pin pcie connectors to GPU. And chassis bent to fit RX 480.
      4. Modified back of chassis to allow Displayport connection into GPU while GPU can be screwed firm into chassis.

Rocking games such as Far Cry 4 @ 4k high settings! 
      Using AMD Crimson WHQL 17.2.1.

• By SeverinPlays
      Hey guys,
      I built my eGPU setup with an Akitio thunder 2 and a Zotac gtx 970 a few weeks ago. It worked pretty well, but the fans of the eGPU doesn't change speed, neither under high usage... I heard about zotac firestorm and other drivers that can control the fan´s speed, but I want to keep OS X and don't want to change to windows... So I opened the case checked with a multimeter how high or low the voltage of the fans are, but somehow I touched with both poles of the fans and the whole setup shut down. I rebooted it and the eGPU worked fine, but the fans doesn't move ant all...  I disconnected them and powered them separately and they spin! That means that it could only be a software problem.

I hope you can help me 

Severin
    • By Izzard
      Listed on eBay here:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKiTiO-Thunder2-PCIe-Box-Thunderbolt-to-PCIe-e-g-Mac-eGPU-/201808361125

For sale is one boxed AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box. This has been modified - as per various tutorials available online - to open up the back panel which otherwise restricts the length of PCIe card it can hold.  This - plus a suitable power supply - enables this device to support full size/length GPUs.  (The supplied power unit is sufficient to power the Thunder2 box itself plus any PCIe card with standard power draw, such as Ethernet Adaptors, Fire Channel cards, SAS/SAT, Firewire/USB, Storage, etc.  Some lower-power GPUs do not require any additional power but most do, which is why the suggested solution for an external GPU is to use a PC PSU.  For that reason, this auction includes the molex-to-barrel connector that I used to power my eGPU, though lots of other solutions are available. Enjoy experimenting!)   If you're reading this listing then you probably already know what you're doing but if not - or if you get stuck - the Tech|Inferno Forums (among others) are a fantastic source of information and that's where I learnt how to set mine up: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/forum/83-diy-e-gpu-projects/   I had great success with this, using it to add an NVIDIA GTX 970 GPU to my 2011 Mac mini which made it a gaming powerhouse.  I'm selling this now because I've finally sold my beloved Mac mini for something newer.  An eGPU can be used in macOS and Windows.   If you have any questions about this particular unit please get in touch before buying or making an offer. I will be very happy to respond!   Please note: No GPU is included in this auction. You can use any PCIe card. The photos here including a GPU are for illustrative purposes only.  The external case, fan and power supply are all included. The case and power supply have never been used, since my large graphics card would not fit inside the closed case as it arrived and I used an external power supply. But if you want to use this with a smaller card, you can certainly fold the side back in and use the outer case, fan and power supply as designed if you wish - it's all included. NB: I didn't keep the little power LED at the back of the case but be assured it's not needed and there is an LED on the board anyway that shows when it's powered. The box says the product is not compatible with Apple's Boot Camp and does not support graphics cards.  There is nothing technically stopping it (and it works great) but due to a clause in the licensing of Thunderbolt technology they are not officially allowed to market it as such. This sale is aimed at gamers/enthusiasts. It definitely works brilliantly but is neither supported by me nor by the manufacturers so I can't accept a return on the basis you couldn't get your eGPU to work right. There is a lot of information online and some fantastically helpful people in various forums. Also, it's not at all difficult and extremely satisfying - so have a go!  If you want to use this device as per its original intention, the official product page is here: https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder2-pcie-box
    • By Slang
      Hi. I have build 4 egpus stations based on Akitio and 980ti. After eGPU Script i can work with two of them on Sierra. But when I plug 4 of them (no matter if i use two thunderbolt cables(2x2) or one (1x4)) my imac 5k won't boot and it's stuck not even making a startup sound. The same thing with three. Only two gpu's setup works perfect. Can anyone have any idea what can be wrong and how to fix this? Thank You 

P.S. I have also tried the bootcamp and windows 10 sees all 4 of them but only one is active and renders in octane bench. I have the same problem with booting as in macos, so i have to do it by hot plugging thunderbolt cable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.