Need help setting up an EXP GDC v.8 + GTX960 for internal display use

Uuugz

As the title suggests, I'm having problems making my eGPU (EXP GDC v.8 mPCIe + ASUS GTX960 Turbo OC 2GB) work with the internal display of my laptop (ASUS K56CB, i5-3317U, Gt740M 2Gb discrete gpu, running Windows 10 64-bit in UEFI mode). Done some modifications to the drivers and all that already, the gpu works fine with an external monitor connected via HDMI, however when I try to launch Nvidia control panel while using laptop's display, it says that "You are not currently using a display attached to an  NVIDIA GPU", hence my problem. Drivers i tried were all older than 372.70.  Also, a curious detail i noticed, none of the driver's nvami.inf files contain any listing of GTX960, at all, even though it's supposed to be there as far as I know. I'm probably Any help sorting this out is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

All changes were made to the notebook version of the driver 372.54. My hardware ID is: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_15871043.

In [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0]:

%NVIDIA_DEV.1401.1587.1043% = Section196, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_15871043

In [Strings]:

NVIDIA_DEV.1401.1587.1043 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960"

Edited by Uuugz

14 minutes ago, dan said:

Hi,have you disable the dedicated card?

Optimus is not working with the gt740m in the device manager list.

Hi. I believe i tried it, but i'll give it another go. will post as soon  as i do. thanks for a quick response

Edited by Uuugz

Alright, just DDU'd my drivers in safe mode, disabled the driver signature enforcement, disabled the "other device" in device manager (740m judging by ID) and installed the 372.54 drivers modded with my lines above. After the restart, both the 740m and the 960 had their drivers installed, even though I disabled the prior. 960 works as it used to, and Nvidia control panel gives the same message, so no luck this time...

Maybe I should try removing the 740m from nvami.inf so that drivers for it don't get installed? It's not possible to disable it in BIOS, btw, option is not there. 

Edit: Maybe using the "uninstall" option in the device manager is what I should try?

Edited by Uuugz

The 740m need to be eradicated from the displays manager list,you have to see only the igpu and the egpu there.

There is two ways to do that,disable in bios or use x1setup provided by ******.

Sincé none of them is available for you you coud try to disable the pcie that host the gt740m,not the card but the pcie bus that host it in the system device.

Works for me few times. i see you are mod the driver,guess there is no need for that,once you achieved that the system not see the dgpu,you could install the egpu  driver without mod.anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, if the PCI-E lanes used for dGPU and eGPU are different and do not overlap, disabling the portion connected to the 740m might just work (fingers crossed). That's worth a try. Thank you for your time, and again, I'll post once I try doing this.

Just tried disabling the part of PCI-E bus that the 740m is connected to, as you suggested, and wiped all drivers, rebooted and installed the modded eGPU ones, however the issue still persists, meaning the 960 doesn't work with the internal display... The 740m is nowhere to be found in the device manager. I will try a few other things, though. Will post as soon as i do. Any suggestions are still appreciated, maybe my driver modding work isn't done properly?

Hi,now that you left only the igpu and the egpu,download the driver for the gtx960 from the nvidia website,the last one.let it untouched.

try to install it an let me know what is hapenning.

Edited by dan

I am unaware of optimus functionality lately regarding the drivers,try the last one and let me know please.Also i want to know wich operating system are you running.

Edited by dan

Currently running Windows 10 64-bit.

13 minutes ago, dan said:

I am unaware of optimus functionality lately regarding the drivers,try the last one and let me know please.Also i want to know wich operating system are you running.

Edited by Uuugz

18 minutes ago, Uuugz said:

Currently running Windows 10 64-bit.

Try the latest see what hapenning,then try any driver before  372.70 .I am sure you will get the internal screen functionality one way or another. i will take a look inside your bios see what options you have.

57 minutes ago, Uuugz said:

Tried the latest drivers just now, and nvidia control panel gives the "no monitors connected to an nvidia gpu" message. Will try the older version now.

Update: Older drivers such as 372.70 result in the exact same message appearing. Starting to think about getting a monitor...

4 minutes ago, Uuugz said:
1 hour ago, Uuugz said:

Tried the latest drivers just now, and nvidia control panel gives the "no monitors connected to an nvidia gpu" message. Will try the older version now.

Update: Older drivers such as 372.70 result in the exact same message appearing. Starting to think about getting a monitor...

are you familiarized with upgrading BIOS procedure ?could unnhide the option to disable the dgpu within your bios .

Not recommended if you not have experience with this .....

16 minutes ago, dan said:

are you familiarized with upgrading BIOS procedure ?could unnhide the option to disable the dgpu within your bios .

No, unfortunately I am not familiar with it, however I have a general idea of how it's done. May try it if everything else fails.

Also,

11 minutes ago, dan said:

Please make a snapshot of your display manager list and device system list.

did you by any chance mean screenshots? because if you actually mean snapshots, i would appreciate it if you told me how to make them

edit: googling it at the moment

Edited by Uuugz

11 minutes ago, dan said:

and don´t give up....it is not an option,keep trying drivers and search for documentation in this fórum...i can guarantee that it will work

sorry,screenshots...

windows has a tool that make just that,search "screenshot"in the search box of cortana...

http://www.howtogeek.com/226280/how-to-take-screenshots-in-windows-10/

1 minute ago, Uuugz said:

Here's the Device manager, showing the active display adapters and on the second screenshot, the pci-e bus part that I disabled

DEV_MANAGER.PNG

DEV_MANAGER2.PNG

ok.it is how it should be.....

1 minute ago, dan said:

seems that way. as for the display settings, there really is nothing in there in WIN10

going into display settings - advanced - adapter properties

DISP.PNG

DISP_ADV.PNG

DISP_ADAPT_PROP.PNG

2 minutes ago, dan said:

Start thinking that  your dgpu interfiere in some way in the optiumus function,i am quite sure that you will have acceleration in an external monitor but the internal display function it is disabled.

2 minutes ago, dan said:

Start thinking that  your dgpu interfiere in some way in the optiumus function,i am quite sure that you will have acceleration in an external monitor but the internal display function it is disabled.

It does work with the external display, I tested. It is the laptop display issues i'm trying to sort out. So yeah,probably optimus' fault in some way. maybe i should try using laptop drivers?

Edit: I'll try asking in the eGPU troubleshooting topic tomorrow, hopefully something will come of it.

Edited by Uuugz

4 minutes ago, dan said:

try to install Windows 8.1 driver versión for gtx960...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.