Underclocking an W230SS

brizzio

Hello guys,

I need some help here. My W230ss started to shutdown due to high temperatures reached under heavy load on Linux (I'm using Mint 17.3).

My laptop came with official Prema BIOS from its partner in Brazil, but looking at the BIOS options I was unable to figure out how to underclock my  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz to 1.8GHz or minus.

I know it's possible to achieve that using cpufred-tools, but I want to limit the clock using the BIOS.

Any help I'll appreciate. 

Best regards.

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend that you repaste and clean the heat-sink before you start under-clocking the laptop. It will be as good as new, or even better if the original paste in not of good quality.

Disassembling your model is quite easy to do, you can check this video by @HTWingNut.

Aa thermal paste goes, I would recommend using Grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid Extreme.