About M14x.

Marcus007

Hi. Sorry for if i'm going to post another thread about the M14x and for annoying some people here in the forum. I just want to ask, if i buy an alienware now, wouldn't i regret it? I mean, in terms of gaming? Cause I'm planning to wait for the Black Friday Sale and buy an M14x that has an i7 cpu instead of buying an MSi which has a GTX 560m but only an i5 cpu. And I'm just worried because they might build an M14x with a better gpu, thus, making it regrettable to buy the M14x which has the older gpu.

Any advice would really help. Thank you and sorry again if i'm annoying.

The next big change for the M14x won't come until next spring when Intel releases their Ivy Bridge CPUs, GPU-wise there's nothing new in sight. Rumour has it that the sucessor of the 555m will be released in December, but it is probably going to have pretty much the same performance as the 555m and there's no word about whether it'll get in the M14x as well (I don't think it will). So there's no reason to wait when it comes to the M14x.

Whether you want to go with the MSI or the the Alienware system is up to you... the M14x is more portable, has definitely a better design (:P) and has a comparable power at the native resolution (I assume the MSI will come with a 1080p screen, which will minimize the difference of the GPU performance, as long as you play on the native resolution).

I don't know which MSI you had in mind, but a possible advantage of it (besides the bigger, higher-res screen) could be that the GPU might be (inofficially) upgradable, as in other recent MSI notebooks.

• Thumbs Up 3

The next big change for the M14x won't come until next spring when Intel releases their Ivy Bridge CPUs, GPU-wise there's nothing new in sight. Rumour has it that the sucessor of the 555m will be released in December, but it is probably going to have pretty much the same performance as the 555m and there's no word about whether it'll get in the M14x as well (I don't think it will). So there's no reason to wait when it comes to the M14x.

Whether you want to go with the MSI or the the Alienware system is up to you... the M14x is more portable, has definitely a better design (:P) and has a comparable power at the native resolution (I assume the MSI will come with a 1080p screen, which will minimize the difference of the GPU performance, as long as you play on the native resolution).

I don't know which MSI you had in mind, but a possible advantage of it (besides the bigger, higher-res screen) could be that the GPU might be (inofficially) upgradable, as in other recent MSI notebooks.

Oh. Then i might buy the M14x instead since there'll be minimal difference between the two. Yes, you're correct, it has the 1080p as it's native resolution. So judging by your statement, the M14x can play any game what the MSi can play? Btw, it's the MSi GT683R i'm talking about. Sorry for the lack of info. 100% agree with you about the design and that's why i'm going towards the M14x. Yeap, they said the gpu is ugpradable.

Thank you svl7, really really appreciated your reply.

Yeah, when it comes to gaming on the native resolution, both will have very similar performance. Just check out all the M14x gaming vids here from Steven & Co. ... with some usual tweaking they play each game at incredible good settings with very decent frame rates. The M14x isn't a slouch.

The MSI is a decent machine, but nowhere as unique as the M14x, just my thoughts...

For gaming, I don't find CPU a bottleneck -- except in shitty playstation ports (yes, I am looking at you GTA4!). Any particular game you're interested in?

BTW, speaking of MSI, I quickly googled the model you suggested and found it in line with M17x-R3 pricewise and which is a far more superior machine in literally every imaginable aspect. So much for "overpriced" Alienware.

Hi, first post here.

Rather than create a new thread I'll hijack this one. I'm in the market for a gaming laptop and the m14x is the one in after. I won't be ordering it until January at the earliest but I just want to know if any one knows if the R2 will be out around that time or a few months after and of you think it'll be worth waiting for it?

I'm not going to be without gaming as I have a high end desktop and I just want the m14 for portability and the ability to bring it round a friends house for Lan games of CS, L4D, UT and other intensive games such as The Witcher 2, Skyrim, BF3 and MW.

Would it be worth me waiting or should I order it in January? I'm quite inpatient too, mind you :lol:

Thanks in advance for any help.

iPar.

Tapatalking

Yeah, when it comes to gaming on the native resolution, both will have very similar performance. Just check out all the M14x gaming vids here from Steven & Co. ... with some usual tweaking they play each game at incredible good settings with very decent frame rates. The M14x isn't a slouch.

The MSI is a decent machine, but nowhere as unique as the M14x, just my thoughts...

Really? So are you saying that the M14x will last the same time with the MSi in terms of gaming? I just really want to know which will last longer in terms of gaming cause that's what I'll buy.

Well, the cards are based on the same architecture, have about the same features and when you compare the gaming performance of a 560m @ 1080p vs. a 555m @ 900p (or even lower) you have a very similar performance.

Of course it also depends on the game... It's always nice to have more cores, shaders, whatever, but as I said, when you compare GPU power vs. native solution it's about the same and it'll last about for the same time.

Between this MSI with the 560m and the M14x it really comes down to what you prefer and what your needs are.

I already mentioned that the M14x is more portable, has definitely the better design and also nice NBD service, and the mentioned MSI has a higher screen res, and it might be possible to exchange the GPU (as it has been done in earlier versions of this system).

So to answer your question... if (and only if) the GPU of the MSI can be replaced it will last longer (provided you upgrade the GPU).

However, there's also an MSI system with a 570m available... this is quite a step up from the 560m and will make a difference in performance and future proofing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, first post here.

Rather than create a new thread I'll hijack this one. I'm in the market for a gaming laptop and the m14x is the one in after. I won't be ordering it until January at the earliest but I just want to know if any one knows if the R2 will be out around that time or a few months after and of you think it'll be worth waiting for it?

I'm not going to be without gaming as I have a high end desktop and I just want the m14 for portability and the ability to bring it round a friends house for Lan games of CS, L4D, UT and other intensive games such as The Witcher 2, Skyrim, BF3 and MW.

Would it be worth me waiting or should I order it in January? I'm quite inpatient too, mind you :lol:

Hi, and welcome to T|I!

As I mentioned, the next change will be the Ivy Bridge CPU, and they won't be released until March or April...

Ivy Bridge will definitely make a difference when it comes to heat and battery life, but whether it's worth to wait is up to you to decide. There has been no word about a real update regarding the GPU, and Ivy/555m combination won't be much better than the current setup.

Ah ok, im not going to be that fussed regarding the CPU unless the i7 2760(?) proves to be a bottleneck or unless they are released sooner than March. Maybe I'll hear something closer to when I decide to buy in January.

Tapatalking

Well, the cards are based on the same architecture, have about the same features and when you compare the gaming performance of a 560m @ 1080p vs. a 555m @ 900p (or even lower) you have a very similar performance.

Of course it also depends on the game... It's always nice to have more cores, shaders, whatever, but as I said, when you compare GPU power vs. native solution it's about the same and it'll last about for the same time.

Between this MSI with the 560m and the M14x it really comes down to what you prefer and what your needs are.

I already mentioned that the M14x is more portable, has definitely the better design and also nice NBD service, and the mentioned MSI has a higher screen res, and it might be possible to exchange the GPU (as it has been done in earlier versions of this system).

So to answer your question... if (and only if) the GPU of the MSI can be replaced it will last longer (provided you upgrade the GPU).

However, there's also an MSI system with a 570m available... this is quite a step up from the 560m and will make a difference in performance and future proofing.

Oh. Alright then. I think i might wait for the Black Friday Sale of Dell. Yes, definitely the M14x has better style than the MSi because that's the reason why i can't just choose the MSi since the M14x has the better looks. I hope i can still wait for the M14x if that's i'll ever buy. There's so much school work that has to be done. @-) Anyway, thank you so much svl7, seriously appreciated your effort to reply.