Macbook Pro mid 2015 R9 370x / eGPU R9 390x

Hi, im new to this forum

I have an Macbook Pro 2015 mid with dgpu R9  370x 

I have purchased the Akitio Thunder 2 Box with an Radeon R9 390x to avoid driver issues.

The System works fine (no boot problems) i can Boot trough Windows 8.1 with no problems. I started Benchmarking with Firestrike and got 9900 Points out of it (on 1920x1080 default Settings)

The System will run nice and smoothe till round about 10 minuets. Than the System randomly Crash with Blackscreen the Fans go on and all i can do is to shutdown the Mbpr by Pressing the Shutdown Key.

Anyone here with same experience as mine who can help to improve the stability of my System? Also i have read about the DiY e-GPU Setup by Nando, is this something thats good for my System? 

And there was a thread about EFI boot options with refind is this neccessarly for my Setup ? 

Thanks 4 your Help

If you got some questions or suggestions feel free to ask / answer 

Edit: Is there a way to run this setup on internal screen? I have read that the only chance to do this is with non dgpu retina macbooks that support optimus?

Edit2: The eGPU Setup is powering on via Thunderbolt there is no need to boot it manually, that means you Power on your PSU that is connected to the egpu Box with R9 390x and then you start your mac and the egpu is starting too. No Problems to boot to Windows, also no problems to boot in OS X but in OS X the GPU is not detectet by Systemprofiler it detect the Akitio but nothing more.

Edited by cogliostro

Update: I switched now to Windows 10, the instability in OS is gone, it depends now from what game you play. I played Witcher 3 yesterday for 3 hours on high settings with fps – 70 and no issues at all. Then i try Rome II Total War. I started the game and everything looks nice and smooth but as soon as the battle begins i get crashing game / os. I will update the driver to the newest beta and tell you how it runs with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,I have the same issue.Macbook pro mid 2014 with dGPU gt750m.I use it with external  Dell P2715Q,Windows 10 via Bootcamp.

eGPU setup:Akitio,Asus strix GTX 970,PSU- corsair 650w.I didn't have crashes before,but recently I need 10 min of gaming even less and it seems the driver is crashing and recovering in 5 seconds saying that I should lower my graphic settings.Sometimes also a message on the screen appears and it says that "input timing is not supported by the monitor display.I have no idea.

I found a solution for my case.It might help you or others.The instability was caused by the molex to barel plug adapter.Particularly by the yellow and the black wires in the molex.When I examined it I saw the yellow one was smoked.Obviosly not quality enough to bring that amount of power.I see moust of the pc risers are with that kind of wires which explains the instabilities for those who use them.I replaced that molex with another that comes in the box with the modular PSU (in my case) and played Rise of the Tomb now for more than an hour with no issue.

Well I did overclock and increased the voltage :)  Probably that's the reason to smoken the wires.Should I not intent to overclock at all?I bought the corsair 650 for this eGPU in case it didn't work and I have to build a PC.Fortunatly now everything is fine.

The thing is: a single molex plug is way too overloaded to provide all the power. You should use at least 2x molex plugs. Better to use the 4/8-Pin for the mainboard and use as many 12v/ground lines as possible.